At a bit of a loss...

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

At a bit of a loss...

Postby rufio89 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:39 pm

I'm just feeling a bit lost.

I'm in a job I hate, I'm applying for jobs and I've signed up to agencies and stuff, but so far no luck. I've got good GCSE's and A-Levels, but with the job market how it is, it's hard to find more work.

Because my job is so rubbish, I have almost no spare money after food/rent/bills etc, and this really gets me down. It means I get to go out once a month at best, and all my friends go off and do stuff which i cant afford to do. I meet them for lunch and they come round some evenings and stuff but its hard to see much of them because they all do things that cost money.

I dont have many friends. I have my boyfriend, but other than that, I only have 2 or 3 real, good friends, and one of them is going travelling for a year soon. I'd love to make more friends, but I just dont really know how, now I'm out of education. At work most people have kids my age, so they're not really the ideal people to make friends with.

Travelling - I would absolutely love to go travelling. I'm planning to go someday, but it's going to take me a couple of years to save up, once I get a better job.

I'm doing everything I can to get stuff sorted out, but I just feel a bit lost at the moment... I dont really know how to make anything better in the short term, and I'm really struggling with my mood because of this...

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:54 pm

what about an evening course

A you get to meet more people
B it will help when applying for jobs if you have that bit extra to add to your cv
C it will be better than sitting at home with no money
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:55 pm

or part time in a pub
you get to meet loads of people and get paid for it

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby rufio89 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Dont evening courses cost lots of money?
I'll look into that though, thank you.

As for a pub... I just dont think I'd like it. I'll look into getting a second job, part time, but I've worked in a bar before and I cant stand it. I'll have to look into second job though if I cant find anything new, but it's going to be hard, I already work 40+ hours per week :(

thanks for the advice, I'll definatly look into doing an evening course.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Bel-Bel had a good idea...my advice with second jobs is you get taxed LOADS. I had two jobs for a while and decided to give the second one up because I was working for about £3 an hour and it just wasn't worth it really. Plus I am not paying back all the extra tax I apparently didn't pay during the time I worked two jobs so it was ok at the time, on my £3 an hour but now I'd say in reality it was at most £2 an hour.

BUT if you aren't being paid a lot for your first job then you shouldn't get taxed so much.

I agree with the idea of a night class although they are expensive-ish to do (they were £80 last year in my area, but free if you get allowances etc) BUT the money will be well spent if they will give you the chance to further your job.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:20 pm

dipsy you were probably on emrgency tax and will get it back in a rebate unless you went upto the 40% tax band but that doesn't kick in until £35K i think
thanks Danielle

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:05 pm

I wish Bel-Bel, I OWE the tax people. I pay about 25% tax now to make up for it! It's not my fault they gave the wrong tax codes to my employers. All I can say is thankfully it wasn't a huge ammount, I read the letter I got and if it goes in to the thousands of pounds you would end up paying most of your wages away.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:11 pm

Last year was nice.. I only started working full time in October, so I got a nice £400 rebate cheque :)
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:21 pm

ok dipsy then thats a different situation. Most people who get a second job don't have that issue
Basically any changes to your wage, or your benefits (such as company car, private medical insurance etc) need to be advised to HM Revenue sooner rather than later or you will always have to pay it back later
If it makes you feel better I had the same thing earlier this year and had to pay them £560 for the tax year 2005/6.Mind you then they have just refunded me £706 I wasn't expecting for 2007/8 but it didn't help when i had to stump up £560 just like that or get interest back dated to 2005 :o

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby LME79 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:01 pm

I can definitely sympathise with you at the moment, RuthForrest. I'm looking to move jobs and am applying to several but, like you say, there's not a lot out there at the moment. I can't afford to go out as much as I used to so I'm also staying in but I'm spending my evenings doing more job hunting, researching different companies and reading up on interview techniques. It's actually quite nice to have stayed in so much recently though - my skin is clearer as I've had more sleep and haven't drunk a drop; I'm feeling energetic and I've spent lots of quality time with my boyfriend so every cloud etc!

You need to remember that this time of year is generally a slow time to be looking for jobs as no-one leaves before Christmas. January is a great time so what I'd advise you to do is what I'm doing - make the most of your job at the moment and really get as much as you can out of it as you'll really be able to chat about it in interviews.

As for extra cash, you say that you have good GCSEs and A-Levels - do you have a subject that you feel you may be able to tutor school children in, e.g. maths? Two students a week can provide your social fund, if you like! Also, have a good old clear out and put things up for auction on eBay - it's amazing how much stuff one can accumulate and it's amazing how much people will pay for something you no longer want!

Hope that helps :)
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Re: At a bit of a loss...

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:47 am

I know Bel-Bel when I got my new job I told my old job who said the tax people would automatically sort it; told the new people who said the same. Meh not much I can do. Bonus was I overpaid my student loan - downside by £30; so it's not like that helped lol.

Back to the original point; I think the idea of tutoring would be a great idea. When I was at university I did a teaching thing; I was scared to go because I thought the kids would know more than me; when I got there I realised how stpid I'd been, and that I knew more about the subject than them.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: At a bit of a loss...

Postby Jo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:57 am

What about Voluntary work? You get your expenses covered, can get involved in a worthy cause, meet lots of new people doing something you care about. It looks good on your CV and can lead to a paid job if you are still around if a paid job ever comes up ;)

More info here - http://www.volunteering.org.uk and here http://www.do-it.org.uk
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to And the rest...