Telling my family i'm Christian?

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Telling my family i'm Christian?

Postby keepingsane » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Pretty much all of my friends know that I'm Christian, and respect me for that, but my family don't know yet because I'm worried about telling them. None of my main family (Mum, Dad/Stepdad, Siblings) are religious, so I don't expect them to understand.
My mum would never understand because although her mother was Christian, she never believed in it (as I have heard her say before). Although I don't usually care for my mum's opinion (she is a horrible person, in my opinion and I can't wait to leave home), I feel she'll probably bring it up as a tactic in an argument, such as "Oh, why don't you go and pray to God or something?" - Im not joking, this would be typical behaviour for her.

My older sister is practically anti- everything. We were talking once about philosophical things and she was pointing out all the reasons why God wouldn't exist, and I just had to keep my mouth shut and nod along, so I feel like I could never tell her. Once she said (although, it's a different topic) "Why should vegetarians get their own menus? What makes them so special? Whenever I go out, there's hardly anything on the menu that I can eat, but they get their own bit." I defended them by saying that they deserve the right to be able to not eat meat, and that she was just a fussy person who eats only potato and processed chicken.

My mum and my older sister are the two people I feel who would mainly not understand or respect my belief in God, and are the ones I'm most worried about telling, considering they hardly ever look at things through the other person's point of view. With this in mind, I don't feel I could ever tell them that I am Christian, but I was wondering if anyone thought I should, or if there was anyone who could tell me of their experience with telling people things they felt worried they wouldn't understand (and this can include other things, such as sexuality, vegetarianism and veganism, etc.) I would like to know how they reacted to this news.

Thank you for any advice you can give me :]
"The smallest deed is better than the grandest intention" :]
keepingsane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Telling my family i'm Christian?

Postby miaow » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:14 pm

Do you want them to know? If your not bothered and it would be 'easier' to not mention it, and your comfortable with this then don't. Tell them when you move out (I presume your still at home) so that they can't poke fun or give you any grief. I think religion is a personal thing, and it's up to you whether you want to keep your beliefs to yourself or shout them from the roof top. From your description your mum and sister sound hard work, so you need to decide if telling them is more important (to you) than the jibes they would give you - if it is then tell them, if it's not then dont - wait until another time when it's easier for you (ie when you don't live with them).
miaow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby morris mouse » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:01 pm

I can understand that your mother & sister would test your faith to the max!!

It must be terrible for you,making it hard to share your beliefs. Have you recently become a Christian?

I'm not saying that they would mean to do it,but our family knows us VERY well,& so they can
tease/annoy us just where it hurts!! #-o

Take courage. :) Your faith is that strong your mother and sister have noticed,without you having the
need to tell them. :D
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: Telling my family i'm Christian?

Postby keepingsane » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Thank you both :]
What you said, miaow, made a lot of sense. I never thought that it wouldn't be necessary to tell them, and that I could freely keep it to myself. I think that's what I will do, keep my faith to myself. I've always had a belief in God, as my primary school was fairly Christian based, with people coming to talk about Bible stories every week and such, and with my Nan being Christian also, but I've found myself more into it this past year, as believing in God has helped me overcome a lot of issues i've had. But I think that's what i'll do, I won't tell them until I leave home, or when the time is right to.

"The smallest deed is better than the grandest intention" :]
keepingsane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to And the rest...