Mobile Phone Battery

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Mobile Phone Battery

Postby rufio89 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:34 pm

Wasnt really sure where to put this...

I got my phone about 7/8 months ago, and the battery is now completely knackered, will only hold a charge for a few hours. I called Orange and they said I'll have to buy a new battery as the warranty is only valid for 6 months.

Now I thought that electronics were required to give a years warranty. Am I wrong here? Or is this them trying to scam me.

Any advice would be appreciated.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Mobile Phone Battery

Postby m_m » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:58 pm

I had a similar problem with one of my phones ages ago... I'm afraid I can't remember the make but I was on Virgin pay as you go and they offered to send me a new battery and a new charger regardless of how long I'd had it.
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:22 pm

I think companies can give whatever guarantee they like: the law doesn't give definite rules on the length of guarantee, it simply states that the item must be fit for its purpose.

So, a pair of shoes might be worn out after 3 months, but the law would say that that was reasonable and you weren't entitled to claim a replacement pair. If a TV wore out after 3 months though, it would clearly not be fit for the purpose for which it was intended, and you could claim.

So the question is, should a battery last more than 8 months? If you think it should, try kicking up a stink and complaining, saying that the battery is not fit for its purpose under the Sale of Goods act. That might be enough for them to give you a new one. Failing that, you would have to take them to court - probably not worth it, but the threat might make them do something.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby all_apologies » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:12 am

If you can't be bothered with the hassle, you'll get really cheap batteries on eBay, particularly if you're willing to wait a few more days from the likes of Hong Kong. I got a replacement battery & external battery charger for less than £3 inc. shipping, it took 5 days to arrive and lasted me well over a year until I got a new phone.

I do see your point, but sometimes it ends up costing you more in effort and phone calls than the value of the item itself, so it's better just to bite the bullet and get a new one yourself!
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:11 pm

if you often charge you battery for short burst or not fully charge it then it will affect the life of the battery
always try to run it as low as possible before charging and always fully charge it if you can
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby peecee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:36 am

I spent ages on the Orange website trying to find an answer!! :D Because I thought the warranty lasted a year, too.

And this was the questionnaire I answered about charging the battery...check it hun, and if you've done everything it asks, ring Orange again, and speak to a different operator with the same question (don't tell them you've already phoned). And again, and as many times as it takes before you decide it's not worth the hassle. :-?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:24 am

thank you all for your replies.

I emailed trading standards, and they replied this morning saying I should write to Orange with a complaint, and give them a deadline of 7-14 days to get it sorted out, as the item is 'not fit for purpose' , so I will do that when I get a chance!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby miaow » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi - don't know if this is any help but....I think with Orange the onus is on them to fix a faulty phone within 6 mths, however the phone's manufacturer has a warranty for 12mths, so if it breaks within the first 6mths Orange will deal with Nokia or whoever and get it sorted. If not then you have to deal with the manufacturer direct - I did and it was simply a case of them telling me their nearest shop to me, I left the phone one day and picked it up fixed the next day.

I'd do what all_apologies has suggested if it is the battery - go on ebay get a new one. I know its not the point but some things just arent worth the hassle!
miaow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby spacegirl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:30 pm

i'm afraid that's true... accessories warranties only last 6 months, it's the same with all networks and manufacturers. The trading standards thing doesnt apply as batteries can expire dependant on different factors blah blah... (i worked in mobile phone shops for years while at uni) to be perectly honest, instead of letters etc etc which would take ages, take the phone to your local manufacturers repair centre, eg. if it's nokia go on the nokia website and look for a repair shop, they will generally just fix the phone there and then as long as you have proof it was bought under a year ago. people on the phone have to tick boxs etc. they're always a nightmare to deal with. branchs of carphone warehouse gnerally have a repair centre on site in larger towns. what model of phone is it/ where did you buy it?
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby rufio89 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:52 pm

I followed this advice, bought a cheap battery on ebay, charged it up, and it lasted much the same amount of time as mine was. I emailed the guy and said what's going on, and he sent me a replacement, which has also done the same.

I've come to the conclusion that it must be my phone, rather than the battery, so this should be covered by warranty, so I will call orange when I get home.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby spacegirl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:48 pm

orange will just replace the phone for you so make sure you back everything up online using the software that came in the box (i hate that i know so much useless rubbish about phones)
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to And the rest...