Do I have a Problem?

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Do I have a Problem?

Postby Pigglet » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi,

I'm just wondering about your views on this.

I tend to have a glass of wine or two every night and have done for the last few month or so, my mum has expressed concerns that if I am drinking too much (though not getting drunk) every night.

I find it helps me relax. I'm sure I could go without if I needed to and have before now if I'm driving or got something on. I just find it helps me to pass the night away and can't see the harm in having one or two but am worried that it may be seen as a problem by others. (mainly because of what mums been saying). I don;t want to stop having a glass of wine, but am wondering if this means I have a drink problem!

My housemate say's not because I'm not trying to hide anything and its not like I need to drink through the day, rarely do before 7:30, What do you think? All opinions appreciated! :)
Just remember, nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. :D x
Pigglet
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Do I have a Problem?

Postby ILoveChristmas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:46 am

Why not try going for a few days without the glasses of wine and see how you get on? Drink something else non-alcoholic and see if you find yourself craving for the wine, if you do then it would seem like it's a bit more than just relaxation.

At the same time though, the glasses of wine can become a habit (like anything can) without actually being a 'problem'. Your body gets used to the taste of it and anything else just doesn't seem right. It doesn't mean you're addicted to it, i.e. you suffer from alcoholism, just that you need to look at breaking the cycle.

Provided you're being totally honest and it really is just one or two normal glasses of wine in an evening then I don't see how you have a problem, I have a glass or two with my dinner every night and I could stop doing that tomorrow if I felt the need.

You don't always hide an addiction if you think it's normal yourself, e.g. when something perfectly normal has inadvertently gone beyond being normal consumption.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pigglet » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:54 pm

ILoveChristmas wrote:the glasses of wine can become a habit (like anything can) without actually being a 'problem'. Your body gets used to the taste of it and anything else just doesn't seem right.

I think this is the problem, It has become very much a habit and though I'm sure I can stop I'm not sure I want to! :roll:

If I'm busy with one thing or another then it dosent really cross my mind but when I stop or if I'm just sat watching tv etc I always fancy a glass.

You're right though, I might start with say, not having a drink on a Tuesday and a Thursday or something similar. (from next week you understand).

I want it to be an enjoyable thing to do and am worried that if it does turn into a problem then I would have to stop all together. I don't want that so I better stop it before it starts! :)
Just remember, nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. :D x
Pigglet
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:36 pm

I agree with ILoveChristmas - I'd try initially to not have it every night; i.e. every other night or only on a Friday and Saturday as a "treat" otherwise I'd try and substitute wine for something else and see how it goes.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:59 pm

You should always have at least two days off to allow your liver to recover and then it will not affect how it process things. Drinking everyday can affect liver function and in turn this can cause other problems
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to And the rest...