Permanent Red Hair Dye - My head vs. My headmistress

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Permanent Red Hair Dye - My head vs. My headmistress

Postby The Annonymous Potato » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:39 pm

So I dyed my hair a colour called "Radical Red", It was actually the least intense red I could find, and it's still incredibly red.

But I love it, my family love it, my friends love it, random strangers love it, even my teachers love it!

My mother hates it, but thats ok, infact thats great :D

Here's the problem: My headmistress hates it. She took one look at it today and then said it was unacceptable and I had to do something about it by tomorrow.

But it's permanent! I tried telling her that but she wouldn't listen and just ran off! #-o

Here's the stupid part: If I were to wash my hair everyday for 3 weeks, it still wouldn't quite be gone. BUT I ONLY HAVE 3 WEEKS OF SCHOOL LEFT ANYWAY! If anything, it seems to be getting brighter every time I wash it. what does she expect me to do?!

Don't I have some sort of right to do whatever I wish to my body?

I've had a few suggestions, for example, Shave my head and see if that is considered acceptable. Or less (or maybe more) extreme, change my religion, wear a headscarf to cover my hair, and say it is my religious right. That would be interesting, plus I'd get prayer breaks :D

anyway, soon tomorrow will come, and her face will turn as red as my head........ :oops:

anything else I could do? I really would hate to dye it a *shudder* natural colour and mess it up.
I shall blend in, like a potato in a swimming pool
The Annonymous Potato
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Permanent Red Hair Dye - My head vs. My headmistress

Postby snail » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:46 pm

I would guess she does expect you to dye over it. To be honest, you might have expected that from a colour called 'Radical Red'! (Which, by the way, won't have been the least intense red you could find!).

You could try dying a dark brown over it, but definitely do a strand test first. You could use a semi-permanent, so you get your lovely red back eventually (after you have left school in three weeks). You'll have to explain to your headmistress that you can't do anything about it in just 24 hours.

Yes, you have a right to do what you like to your body, but you know that schools have rules about unconventional appearance, they feel it reflects badly on them.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rufio89 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:23 am

Ive gotta say, sorry hun but I'm on your headteachers side. That's just the rules most places. They want kids at school to look conventional, and while, yeah, it can be annoying, I used to have dreads in the summer, but I had to change them for school which I HATED, but when it comes down to it, it's the rules.

If I were you, I'd dye my hair brown with a temporary dye for the last few weeks, then just dye it back red when schools done
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:59 am

I agree with Snail and Ruth - the school rules are school rules to make eveyone fit in. When you leave school you can do whatever you want with your hair - however when in school you HAVE to do as the school rules say. Are you willing to loose your education and future job prospects because you want red hair? You can get those dyes where they are similar to your natural hair colour and in certain lights go blue or red (I think there is a purple one too) - one of my friends had the red one - it darkened her hair a bit but it was red in the light; subtle but nice. I don't remember what they were called or what the make was though.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby mattmxl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 am

School rules can unfortunately dictate hair colour during school hours. And whilst you are in school you do have to abide by the rules and regulations there, as I think people have already said.
mattmxl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby embop » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:41 pm

I can see both sides, on one side it is school rules, on the other hair dye costs about £5. I would not want to wast that money for just 3weeks. I had red hair at school and my head teacher didn't mind, now I have pink hair and I would not want to dye over it. if you try explaning to her (in a 'grown up' way) that you dont have the money to buy another hair dye (even if you do ;) ) she might just say its ok for 3 weeks, if not then I guess you will either have to dye over it, scream at her and maybe get kicked out, or just walk out lol. might be worth a try though before you fork out £5 to pay for something you really dont want.
Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere.
embop
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Sorry guys, but i'm on The Annonymous Potato's side with this one.
I went through exactly the same, and its still like a raw nerve with me since my cousin is going through the same thing.

I used to have brown hair, and while we were all doing our exams i dyed it blonde with pink bits in it. I adored it, the blonde was the right move for me. It seems to open up my feature's and make me look brighter (Skin wise, not brain lmao). We were only going into school to take exams, so about 3 hours a day, if that, depending on the exam.

My head teacher went ballistic at me. Screaming at me that it was unacceptable to change my hair colour so radically during school term (In her defence she hated me away lol) I reasoned that it was only blonde and pink (The pink was sort of like highlights), that we only were in school for a few hours and by the end of the week i wouldnt be there anymore since my exams would be over.
She had none of it, phoned my Mum and my Dad seprately and demanded that they frog march me to the hairdressers to get it dyed back to what it was. For the sake of 2 days. And if they didnt i wouldnt be taking my final 2 exams.

So i failed Food Technolagy and German.

Now, since you have 3 weeks left and your head teacher is obviously the same one as mine was. There is going to be no reasoning with her. But you can try.
Say your not prepared to throw money away another two times, but you will compromise.
Could you tie your hair up so its not so much in people's face's? Perhaps wearing a headscarf could be the way to go. Say you'll cover it up for the rest of term (Isnt it half term next week anyway??) but dying over it again could ruin your hair. And you dont particulary want to be left with no hair at all.

Sorry guys, but like i said, this is a raw nerve with me.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby The Annonymous Potato » Fri May 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Thats awful lemonjuice! What a witch! I can't believe she made you fail 2 exams because she didn't like your hair, that is just pathetic, some teachers are. Luckilly I've only ever had one who hates me. You should have screamed insulting things about her hair at her on the last day for that.

Luckily, as superficial and scary as headmistresses have to be, mine is human........I think. And she does like me, I actually got into a college that rejected everyone else who applied, purely based on what she said about me.

Anyway, I went to school the next day, and she just frowned at me, that was it. Then there were a few times where she was showing govenors and interested parents around and they saw me and she was thinking "oh jelly, they've seen the hair". But since then, she hasn't really done/said anything, she just got a few of the teachers who originally liked my hair to tell me it was a bit of a "premature rebellion".

So 3 weeks later, lessons ended, then we just had exams and revision sessions. Today was technically our last day, because after half term, there won't be any revision sessions and we'll only come in for exams for another 2 weeks. Even if I had fluorescent multicoloured marge simpson style hair, I know she'd never let me fail an exam. Thats just plain heartless! :(
I shall blend in, like a potato in a swimming pool
The Annonymous Potato
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue May 26, 2009 9:31 am

The Annonymous Potato wrote:Even if I had fluorescent multicoloured marge simpson style hair, I know she'd never let me fail an exam. Thats just plain heartless!

I do agree, however school rules are school rules. It wouldn't have harmed for both lemonjuice and Annonymous Potato to have waited a few weeks before dying their hair.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to And the rest...