confidence

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

confidence

Postby worrywomen123 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:06 pm

I no its not unusual for people to struggle with low confidence but i feel like its really started to get in the way of me leaving my life. Ive never been bullied, i wouldnt say im ugly, nor fat. I have a few good friends and get on reasonably well with my family but yet still i have very little confidence. Im 19 and have worked in a shop at the weekends for over 2 years now. At first i really stuggled with talking to people and although I am better then i was i have been spoken 2 a few times about my customer service. Its not that im rude but the shop has really uped the game on customer service,making us approach them when they are browsing. Im worried that i may get into serious trouble if i dont start talking to people more x
worrywomen123
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: confidence

Postby morris mouse » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:55 pm

"worrywoman123" to be honest,while you're worried that you may get into serious trouble if you dont start talking to people more,I would very much be "put off" by a sales assistant ready to pounce on me as if I was their next customer.

So,in the long run,you're more likely to LOSE customers (with that type of behaviour.) :( I believe that this is what you're
worried about.

So,there is a "fine line to be drawn",between what your boss says and just being yourself. I would just be yourself,do your
best & they can't blame you for that.
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:05 am

ohhhh i HATE shops where the shop assistants come and harrass you! I always say "yep fine", and walk off. It makes me FAR less likely to buy something. I dont understand why shops encourage you to do that, if you see someone looking a bit lost or frantic, then yeah, they probably want your help, but someone strolling around is probably just browsing! lol.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:31 am

worrywomen123 wrote:Ive never been bullied, i wouldnt say im ugly, nor fat. I have a few good friends and get on reasonably well with my family but yet still i have very little confidence.

Me too.

worrywomen123 wrote:the shop has really uped the game on customer service,making us approach them when they are browsing

I HATE that too...my bf was getting new glasses a month ago, some sales assistant after about 5 minutes came over and said do you need a hand, we said no thank you we'd like to look around first and she said ok and off she went (fine), then about 2 minutes later another sales assistant came over and said are you having trouble? -no- how about I help you, do you like these and these and these and these - no - she started to get frustrated at us - it's not like we asked for help, we said we didn't want any GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Worrywomen123 - I used to be petrified of talking to people, I like you worked in a shop for almost 4 years and it did improve my confidence massively. Ok I worked on checkouts in a supermarket so I'm sure that I got people at my till longer than you to strike up a conversation. If you are at the till, you could ask, about the weather, bought anything else nice, going anywhere nice, lovely item they've bought and you were thinking of one for yourself, plans for the rest of the day - it's all small chit chat. If you have to approach someone and you ask if they need help and they say no, just make sure you say, ok no problem but if you do need anything please come and ask for assistance.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 am

At the end of the day whether we like it or not (and i don't either) worrywoman has been told it is part of her job and an expectation they have of her

I think a simple "do you need any help?" should be enough to show your bosses you are doing what they ask. Most customer will say no I am fine and you can walk off.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:09 am

I work in a jewellers part time and it does work when you approach people, especially because all our stock is under lock and key! There is a statistic that actually says that if you approach a customer within the first 30 seconds of them entering the store (whether it is simply saying hello, or asking if they need any help) they are significantly more likely to buy.

There are right and wrong ways of doing it, and I agree with Bel Bel, you have been asked to do it as part of your job, and they have obviously asked you to do it for the needs of the business. If you are really worried about approaching customers, talk to your manager and ask for some advice. They might be able to give you a few phrases to use or some support. Watch what other people do in the store, and copy what works.

The more you do it, the more your confidence improves, I remember when I got my first sales related job when I was 17, and I found it really hard and nerve racking, but the more you do it, the more your confidence improves. It takes time but I think my confidence improved dramatically, not only in my job but in my life in general. I used to be quite shy talking to people, but now I'm really confident talking to people I don't know and can strike up a conversation with anyone. You just need to get out of your comfort zone!

If a customer comes into the store I always make eye contact and say 'good morning/afternoon' etc. I'll leave them to browse for a few minutes, and then after a while I will come over and say either;
-Would you like any help?
-Are you looking for anything in particular? (So I can point them in the right direction)
I find they rarely say 'no I'm just looking', but if they do I'll say 'If you need a hand just let me know', and me and my colleagues always let each other know if we have already approached someone. The main thing is to be natural and speak to people how you would like to be spoken to and try not say it in a way that sounds like you're only asking them if they need help because you've been told to.

I actually get annoyed when people don't approach me in shops! They know the stock better than I do and its their job to help me, so it annoys me when they stand around chatting and I have to go and find them. Don't feel like you are pestering the customers, because you're not, most will actually appreciate you trying to help, as long as you do it in the right way. I can't tell you how many times I've walked out of shops (debenhams and boots mostly grr!) because there has either been no one around to help me or the staff are just standing around chatting instead of helping.
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:48 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:most will actually appreciate you trying to help, as long as you do it in the right way. I can't tell you how many times I've walked out of shops (debenhams and boots mostly grr!) because there has either been no one around to help me or the staff are just standing around chatting instead of helping.

The right way is key here, myself, Bel Bel and crumpetsandtea, have all said the same thing when approaching someone. At one of our Boots they are quite helpful actually. Debenhams they close most of the changing rooms at night, so you have to stand in a HUGE queue to use 2 fitting rooms. Then there are no staff around.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby worrywomen123 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:25 am

Thanx 4 all ur adivse:-) i went in yesterday and i think my customer service was ok. I just hope all the customers thought so because we do get a lot of mystery shoppers. x
worrywomen123
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to And the rest...