Good Idea or Terrible Idea?

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Good Idea or Terrible Idea?

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:35 pm

As you may know, I recently split up with my boyfriend and it also looks like I’m likely to lose my job (which also means I cant buy a house as planned).

It’s only been a couple of weeks so I don’t want to rush into anything, but I was thinking about moving away from Nottingham, to maybe London or even abroad to live in France or something... I just feel like I need a fresh start.

I don’t know whether this would be a good idea or whether I’d just be trying to run away from my problems??

I dunno, I feel like I had a nice quiet life planned out, I had my boyfriend, we were gonna move in together, I had my job, and I was gonna buy a house, and now that’s all been ripped out from under my feet, and I don’t know whether rather than struggle to find my feet again, just find new feet, so to speak?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

x
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Good Idea or Terrible Idea?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi Rufio!

I would stew on it a bit, and write a list of pro's and con's, do some research, and work out whether you've got the urge to move because of what has happened with your boyfriend and job etc. Its not been plain sailing for you recently, so I can see why you'd like to draw a line under it.

Moving away is something I really want to do to, so I can see why you're tempted! I would love to go and get a job in another country for a year, and then maybe move somewhere else, and then hopefully come back here when I decide to settle down and buy a house, its something me and my boyfriend have both spoken seriously about doing together when we both leave uni. I'm 22 this year and I don't fancy getting saddled with a mortgage just yet, not when I haven't decided what I want to do with myself!

I know a lot of people who have done similar things and loved it, similarly there are a few who have gotten very homesick and gone back! Is there anyone who would go with you Rufio? Or is there anyone you know in the places you were thinking of moving to? It might be easier if there people you know around to support you.
If you do go, and absolutely hate it, you can always come home.
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:28 am

Serendipity wrote:maybe you could go traveling a bit and visit several countrys over a few weeks?

Yea you can get a "euro train" I think the site is something like eurotrain.com - if not search it on google. You can get a train ticket for say 3 countries in Europe - it is quite expensive but being under 25 I think it's reasonable.

Yes the rug has been pulled from under your feet and you were thinking of moving in together but you are only 20. You have plenty of time; think of the house opportunity as a "I can save for another few years"; you can always still buy a house and get a flatmate to move in with you to ease the bills.

xx
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:55 am

I think we all (or most of us anyway) feel like moving away at some point in our lives, so I can understand how you feel.

I think Crumpetsandtea offered good advice re: the moving away permenantly, but I think Serendipity's suggestion of going away for a long holiday/travelling for a while sounds like a great idea. That way you can explore different places, see if you can imagine yourself living in any of them and just have some time to figure out what you really want. Don't you have a friend that's travelling for a year? (if I remember correctly). If so, perhaps you could join her wherever she is for a while?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:51 pm

RagDoll wrote:Don't you have a friend that's travelling for a year? (if I remember correctly). If so, perhaps you could join her wherever she is for a while?

Brilliant idea.

However, I do think the moving somewhere abroad might be running away from your problems. I know your whole world has been turned upside down, but you can't run away. It will make you a stronger person if you stay and deal with them.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to And the rest...