Driving Confidence.

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Driving Confidence.

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi All,

Not a major problem just wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom.

I had a car accident about 6 weeks ago. Noone was hurt but my car was written off. I had a courtesy car for about a week after that and I was terrified the whole time I was driving it. I havent had a car since then (I bought one and it died straight away so Ive had to wait to get it fixed!) until yesterday!

I have to drive quite far too and from work everyday and I've just been out on my lunch. I know it's early days yet and I'd probably be a bit nervous in a new car anyway but I feel horribly anxious whenever I'm driving or even thinking about getting in my car. I had loads of dreams last night that I crashed it/it broke down etc.

It doesnt help that it's way more powerful than my old car, as well as bigger AND I've been driving an automatic for the past year and this is a manual.

I just keep panicking if someone starts slowing down in front of me that I dont have time to stop, even though I drive fairly cautiously anyway and always leave plenty of room.

I've never been a nervous driver before and I dont like it! :(

I guess Im just wondering if this is normal and how long it has taken to pass with other people?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Driving Confidence.

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:03 pm

I think it's perfectly normal after a crash to be nervous and having a new car and a manual is just adding to the tension

I would suggest going out for a drive every evening on your own and just potter round some quite streets to start building your confidence up with the car. This is what I always tell learners to do when they first pass their test. That way you have no one watching you and if you crunch the gears you only have yourself laughing at you.

As you gain more confidence you will start to relax again
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to And the rest...