University

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

University

Postby pinky » Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:18 pm

Hi everyone. Im starting at university in a weeks time and im SO nervous. its two hours away from home so i have to stay in the halls in a big city :o (i live in a tiny town). im worried that i wont fit in or i want get on with everyone ahhhh. Has anyone else had these feelings but then had a great time at uni!?
Pinky x
pinky
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:56 pm

Hey,

I have no aspirations to go to uni, and besides i've already started pilot training so I have no need to go, however I'll relate your situation to a past experience of mine....

When I started college (I was 16...now im 19) I had only been living in Cornwall for a week, so I didn't know where anything was and I didn't know anyone. I felt very nervous...etc but after a few weeks I felt a little more settled. I completed my 2 years at college and i'm now a trainee pilot....

So what i'm saying really is that everyone feels nervous and feels that they won't fit in, but all you need to do is take a little time and just be yourself. You will be fine and all will go well.

Finally I'd like to wish you the best of luck.

All the best

Ashley
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby MaccGaz » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:13 pm

Going to uni is not half as bad as you think it might be. Basically, 99% of people living in halls know nobody. The vast majority of those want to make friends. I dont think that there'll EVER (and I mean that!) be a time in your life that you find it easier to find friends.

All you have to do is put in a little effort in going out with people in your halls during the first few weeks (Its really not hard to do!) and you'll make friends within a couple of days. Even if these people dont become your proper Uni friends, they give you a good base to work off.

So just go there and be willing to talk to people that you meet. The most vital week is the first week. If you show that you are happy to chat to the other people and go out during freshers week you wont have a single problem.

After the first day, as long as you chat to your flatm8s, you'll feel much more comfortable. I was a very quiet person and I found it easy to make friends, I'm sure that you will too.
MaccGaz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Llisa » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:55 am

Hi hun,
I just went back to college a week ago and I absolutely love it! I'm from a small town too and had to move 6 hours away to the fastest growing city in Canada to go to college! :-? I was a little bit nervous, but the thing is, there are SO many other people there who are first year students too! They don't know what they are doing either! So honestly, don't worry about it. And if you aren't shy (even if you are!) just start introducing yourself to people. Chances are that they are really scared too! Besides, it's SO much more fun going through school having friends...as I'm sure you alreayd know. Best of luck love!
Will be praying for you
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bubble » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:54 am

What you have to remember hun is that almost everyone in halls is in the same position as you! So everyone will be more vunerable and more keen to make new friends. Universitys normally put people in the same halls that are doing similar courses, so you get to know people in your halls and on your course. It'll be a great experience hun, trust me, you will love it.
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby pinky » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:50 pm

aw thank you everyone, i feel so much better now! BIG BIG KISSES :D
Pinky x
pinky
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bubble » Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:53 pm

Best of luck, you will love it. x
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Beckyt » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:14 pm

Hey! I've just finished my uni course and I travelled from a smallish town to the city 2 hours away every day for three years! To be honest the first years an absolute doss all you need to do is pass your assignments because the first year doesn't go towards your degree neway!!!
Its a make or break year really only you can decide whether you want to stop. I hated the first year but i stuck it out because I met some fantastic friends and the travel just got a way of life. Plus you get so many LONG holidays etc that it flies by and you wonder where the time goes. You only have a 32 week year actually at uni.
Uni is something that doesn't suit everybody but if you decide that you don't like it get out as quick as you can because student loan repayments are very expensive for those who drop out because you only get 4 weeks to pay what you've borrowed and you have to pay your accommodation fees for the term regardless!!!
However, I'm sure that you'll have a fantastic time coz the people I've met at uni are all so fun loving, polite, respectful, happy and supportive, you can't beat people like em. Its not like school where people are childish and enjoy point scoring over each other. OK so not everyones nice but the majority are!
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby lilo » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:45 pm

I would say staying at the halls is an advantage! I stayed at home when I went to uni and it was harder for me to get to know ppl. Whereas everyone who stayed on campus made pals and got on really well coz they were at the pub when I was on the train home......

Uni is good though. You'll be fine and will wonder why you were worried soon enough!
Life's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get!!!!!
lilo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby MaccGaz » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:19 pm

Defniately.

I would say that anyone who stayed at home (unless they live Very close) are HUGELY missing out. It can be unfortunate if they cant afford it, but if they CHOOSE to live at home they are definately missing out.

It takes a few days for the vast majority of people to settle, after that you're part of the "group". You can stay out with your m8s and go back with your m8s. If you live away from uni, you cant do certain things because its hard to get back home.

ALWAYS stay at your uni if possible :)
MaccGaz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bubble » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:56 am

I disagree MaccGaz. I live at home, and have experienced the whole uni thing no end. I'm constantly out with my friends. and making the most of it. And the plus side is that i can stay over their house whenever i want and not have to pay the rent, :)
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Beckyt » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:15 am

I must agree with Maccgaz I'm afraid. My boyfriend and I lived away from uni and I really do feel like we missed out on something. We lived that far away that we couldn't go out at night with our mates/ stay over on a saturday because we couldn't get home. People who lived on campus had far more friends than we did, they seemed to know everybody because they had been on pub crawls with them etc
Also it was really hard when we had to do group work in our own time and some groups worked fine coz they went round each others places to work on it but I had to arrange to meet my friends at a particular time and place to get the work done and it wasn't convenient all the time esp when our trains were delayed in the winter.
Plus people who live on campus aren't so tired (unless they've been partying all night) my boyfriend and I used to be up at 6 to be in uni for 10 and then some nights we didn't get home til 7.30 by that time you just wanted to go to bed. During the first year it made me ill coz I had to do this every day. Year 2 and 3 weren't too bad coz we didn't have to come in so often.

We missed out on student life but I still wish i was back there, working is rubbish!!! :)
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby pinky » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:50 pm

Beckyt my course is only 1 year long co i went direct into third year so i cant afford to muck around! ive been up at uni all week and im down for the weekend. i have made tons of new friends and ive have a really good time (lessons start next week). thanx everyone who sent in posts! you all made me feel alot better about goin :D

xxx
Pinky x
pinky
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby MaccGaz » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:10 pm

Glad you're enjoying it :)

Its never as hard as you think it will be.

Another tip is to not go back every weekend. Weekends are also good "bonding" exercises with your uni m8s. People that went back EVERY weekend (to see a g/f or b/f usually) seemed to be slightly left out.

Going back every so often isn't a problem + it also depends how much you interact during the week :)
MaccGaz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby fe » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:57 am

im planned to go to uni next year.but i suffer from panic attacks in certain situations. ithink being away from home is one of them. therefore im not looking forward to goin!mainly because the majority of ppl live there...the way i feel at the moment, i dont think i'l manage the whole living thing.but dont wana miss out on makin friends!etc...not lookin forward to becomin a social outcast. i didnt realise people actually do live at home when at uni?
i wanted a uni as close as poss because i have a car, but drivin long distances is daunting....do u think its a good idea to live at home? :-?
fe
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to And the rest...