can't sleep

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

can't sleep

Postby charlie2003 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:35 am

this is driving me nuts now!
just can't sleep! I get tired get myself to bed, shut my eyes then they just spring open and thats it i'm awake for hours! I have read so many books now co's I can't sleep. It started end of january. I wake myself up early to try sleep at night but that don't work! My eyes look like im wearing make up or something! (I don't wear make up btw :P) Anyone got any sugestions? would be nice to sleep and dream again! [-o<
charlie2003
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Llisa » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:57 am

Wow...end of January eh?
I know someone else one here who has the same problem...kind of...not mentioning any names :wink: .

Here's a list of some things that generally help people fall asleep:

1.Hot baths- Try adding some Johnson's Baby Bedtime Bath Soap...it uses aromatherapy (lavendar) to help you fall asleep. It also relaxes your muscles.

2.Warm milk - Not sure why this works...but it is supposed to put you to sleep.

3.Serenity tapes - Find out what type of music calms you. I have a whole tape/CD of running water with soft flutes and the sort playing in the background...listened to it in the car once...bad idea. oddly enough bagpipe music also calms me...you can usually find a good variety at card stores or any music store. Yoga tapes usually have soothing music on them.

4. Check your temperature - If your bedroom is too cold...try warming it up a bit. Get a hot water bottle or heating blanket if you aren't allowed to touch vthe thermostat. And if your bedroom is warm, try making it a bit colder. A friend of mine can't sleep if the bedroom is more than 5 degrees...she's nuts. But hey...maybe its what you need.

5. Timing - Don't have a crazy-go-nuts day, and then suddenly hop into bed. If your mind and heart are racing at 100 miles and hour...obviously you aren't going to fall asleep quickly. Give yourself at least an hour and a half to wind down each evening.

6. ROUTINE - Force yourself to at least get into bed at a certian time...and then force yourself to get up at a certain time...no matter how little slepe you've had. Your body will eventually click in that this is the way things are done and adapt accordingly.

If all else fails, go see your doctor about possible long term insomnia. He'll be able to tell you if you have a serious problem, or are just a normal person going through abnormal sleeping patterns. Best of luck!
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby charlie2003 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:58 am

thankyou
I'll give them a try and let you know how I got on.
charlie2003
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby smile » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:13 am

I heard one a long time ago so I'm not sure if it works. Anyway you fill the bath up to about three inches with coldish water. You sit in the bath on your knees for about 2 minutes, then get out and dry off and get straight into bed. I've never tried it but you never know!
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:52 pm

Any sleep expert will tell you that a routine is the most sensible way but you can attend sleep clinics on the NHS
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Flutegirl » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:15 am

Have you tried a relaxation tape before bed? I think you can get them in those alterative remedy type shops. I find them quite soothing and they help you drop off easier.
After all you put me through you'd think I'd depise you but in the end I'm gonna thank you cause you made me that much stronger
Flutegirl
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby paganstar » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:58 pm

Why dont you buy a oil burner and get some lavendar oil burn that in your room at nite it works for me in the past when i suffered from insombia,and the hot milk drink and the bath,bet when you just get into a nice deep sleep its time to get up i hate that!!try the lavendar oil its good let me no how you get on,also make sure you blow the candle out when your getting sleepy dont want a fire :)
an ye harm none do as ye will
paganstar
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...