Should I quit college and travel for a year?

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Should I quit?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:56 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 3

Should I quit college and travel for a year?

Postby LME79 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:56 pm

WARNING: LONG READ BUT ALL IS RELEVANT
I'm in a bit of a pickle. As most of you know, I was determined to break into the advertising industry. Upon graduating with a mediocre degree, I took two years out of college in order to find my "dream career" which probably was just a figment of my whirlwind imagination. To cut a long story short, I allowed my mother to talk me out of applying for a job in Japan which would have allowed me to travel for a year (this is relevant btw) and so I threw myself into trying to find "that dream career". After attending careers fairs and seminars, I decided that advertising was "my bag" and I spent over a year researching the industry so I knew exactly what I was getting into, you know, to make sure I wasn't under any illusions that it was glamourous etc.
Next step was applying to the graduate recruitment schemes. There were about 20 in total and I applied for the London ones, 15 in total(I couldn't afford to apply further afield). to cut another long story short, I got rejected from all of them. Secondly, I got rejected in speculative application. At the time, I was still at the bookies (great job, how interesting :o) and I moved into office administration (I was office dogsbody, if you will). I applied for the course that I'm on now and got in (apparantly it was hard to get onto).

It's not turning out as I thought it would. The thought of going back to Watford makes me cry. I drew up a list of pros and cons of college:

Reasons for leaving:
1) not sure about advertising as a career anymore
2) Sooooo expensive
3) Not getting interviews
4) Not enjoying it
5) Some people are a bit 'false'
6) Really unhappy in Watford
7) Want to travel and I'm young enough to do it at the moment

Reasons for staying:
1) Friends
2) Independance
3) Don't want to be a "quitter"
4) Mother will gloat

Sorry it's so long but it is all relevant. I really want to travel before I get too old and 'settled' to do it. I can't do that if I'm married with kids. On the other hand, I'd have to leave my boyfriend cos he wo't come with me.

edit: I put it in here because I'm not under 16 and it's stressing me out in so many ways.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby Fidel » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:43 pm

Yeah, who cares what people think. You are number one - look out for your own happiness!

Go travel!
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby LME79 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:57 pm

This is my gut feeling. I'm 75%-80% sure I want to quit. The other 20% is a "what if" feeling.

to add to my reasons for leaving list, someone on the course told my boyfriend how flirty and drunk I get when I go out with my mates in watford. It's true that I get drunk and I pole danced (clothed) with a few of my male friends but I told my boyfriend this when it happened.
Someone is trying to mix it up and my boyfriend can't tell me who because he met them at my birthday and he can't remember their name.

I have it down to two people but nevertheless, I can't surround myself with these sorts of people. Plus I want one last chance at being a free spirit (to a degree anyway, I still have my fella).

Hmmm.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby nothings_shocking » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:32 pm

i think you shouldn't leave. When college really got me down i wanted to leave, just because things get tough i wanted to leave. The thing that made me stay was the fact i was helping myself and the people around me. I think you need to find another job like the one in Japan and this time do not let your mother talk you out of it (although they are masters at it!)
You need to broaden your search for different things. Even if it is just outside London.
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Rock_Queen » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:01 pm

go for it, you're still young and it will be an oppertunity for you to take a step back and really see outside the box about your career and if it is really what you want. :)

go travel! go save the monkeys in the rainforest!! 8)
Rock_Queen
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby lilessexgal » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:14 pm

i think you should do whatever your heart tells you to do and whatever makes you happy!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby LME79 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:24 pm

nothings_shocking wrote:i think you shouldn't leave. When college really got me down i wanted to leave, just because things get tough i wanted to leave. The thing that made me stay was the fact i was helping myself and the people around me. I think you need to find another job like the one in Japan and this time do not let your mother talk you out of it (although they are masters at it!)
You need to broaden your search for different things. Even if it is just outside London.

That wasn't really my point to be fair.

Japan or something outside London......I think Japan is more diverse and interesting than somewhere like Kent. Also, like lilessexgal said, I need to think of my happiness. I was miserable at college.
My point was that college isn't getting me further up the career ladder, all I am gaining is a massive amount of debt. I already have a degree so I'm quite well set as that's all you need in today's career climate (I know this after a lot of research). I don't understand you saying broaden my search, don't let my mum talk me out of Japan and then saying don't quit. Maybe I'm being silly :-?

Anyway, just to let you all know, I have decided to quit college now after talking it through with trusted mates and the fella and family.

I'm going to apply to this company and temp in the meantime which means that if the Japan gig falls through, I'll have saved up enough money to go travelling with :) I'm 24 after all, I'm young enough to grab this opportunity with both hands!

Thanks for your replies, I think I'd made my mind up but just wanted reassurance :)
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby Rock_Queen » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:28 pm

you go gurl :D
Rock_Queen
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby lilessexgal » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:40 pm

yeah well done!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby nothings_shocking » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:51 pm

sorry didn't really know what to put... :oops:
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby nothings_shocking » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:01 pm

Good luck with the future hope it all goes to plan. Sorry my post didn't make much sense....
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby LME79 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:35 pm

nothings_shocking wrote:Good luck with the future hope it all goes to plan. Sorry my post didn't make much sense....

haha no worries I understood it after I posted and I was too lazy to edit :oops: cheers anyway mate xxx
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby nothings_shocking » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:38 pm

no worries :oops: i babble anyway so i didnt expect you to get it :) yer good luck i think 24 is a good age to travel...(you are 24 yer? Or have i misread?) You never know you might want to stay put in a certain place. Are you going to travel with anyone?
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to And the rest...