Group therapy

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Group therapy

Postby sparkly_star » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:14 pm

I've just had my first counselling session and my counsellor reckons that group therapy would be a good idea for me. So I was just wondering if anyone's had group therapy? And what it's like.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby loopylou » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:49 pm

Hey sparkly star, i just posted a message on your other post about group therapy.

Just before xmas i finished my group counselling, and to be honest i was terrified before i went i didnt want to go i thought id look stupid id be intimidated that id feel daft etc etc, but once i was there i realised everyone is in exactly the same boat.

Everyone in the group youll be going to will feel exactly how you will about it, they will all be nervous so you wont be alone.
I think group counselling can sometimes help more than one to one in the way of helping you realise your not alone adn that other people feel like you do (thats how it helped me).
The counsellors are trained to include everyone (if your struggling to talk infront of everyone)..they should do it in a way that isnt too pressurising.
plus your there to help the others in the group to because your there to support each other.
It might also help you meet some friends, im still in touch now with 2 of the people from my group counselling, one whos 21, one year younger than me and one about my mums age but we all get on so well. we are even meeting up next week..and its been nice to have friends who understand what im feeling adn going through.
I think its a good idea to atleast try it out.
Dont forget to keep smiling :)
loopylou
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby lilessexgal » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:43 pm

hey iv never had it personally but i think it sounds like a really good idea! because then instead of talking to one person who (i know they help) but hasnt got the problem you can talk to lots of others who have and exchange thoughts and ideas! you may meet new friends aswell so you will feel alot happier! good luck :D :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:39 pm

You're studying drama aren't you sparkly_star? Group therapy can be akin to the activities you do.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sparkly_star » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:42 pm

Enigma wrote:You're studying drama aren't you sparkly_star? Group therapy can be akin to the activities you do.

English actually, tho I did study drama at A Level... well performing arts anyway.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Enigma » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:47 pm

Ahh, well group therapy will be akin to the group activities you did.

hehe
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby SugarRainbows » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:02 pm

If your apprehensive then it may take a few sessions for you to feel comfortable but its worth a shot any way isnt it? You have nothing to loose. It will probably be just like a group of people discussing problems and their lives and struggles so you can get to give others advice too. :)
SugarRainbows
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby sparkly_star » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:48 am

I guess so. And you're right there, I really do have nothing to lose.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby SugarRainbows » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:53 pm

so your gona give it a go hun? :D
SugarRainbows
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby sparkly_star » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:07 pm

Yeah, but I gotta tell my counsellor and then she's gotta get on to the facilitator of the group and then I have to talk to her about it.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby lilessexgal » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:03 pm

as long as it helps you then i think its a great idea! go for it!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to And the rest...