DIETS!!

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

DIETS!!

Postby ashlee82 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:25 pm

Hello all. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good diets or ways to loose weight. Ive never been slim but in the past year i have gained two stone and i hate it. Last august i joined weight watchers and managed to shift a stone. But as soon as soon as i stopped the diet i put it all back on again. Ive bee trying to get back on the diet since but cant manage it for more than a few days. Please help!
ashlee82
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby amanda11 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:30 pm

diets don't help, you just end up putting on weight when your will power eventually caves in. i was always on and off diets since i was about 18 and i was just gradually putting a few pounds on every year.

you really have to make long term commitments and lifestyle changes to lose weight. i started walking to university and back everyday (90mins) and just eating more sensibly. eventually i lost nearly a stone and i've kept it off because i still do the exercise. don't deprive yourself of anything - otherwise you end up binging royal style!!!

drink loads of water, cut down on sugary/fatty foods and don't expect to lose too much too soon - it took me months!!!
there is a light that never goes out
amanda11
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby PurePurple » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:32 pm

There are products that tell you how they can fit into your lifestyle, so try those..(Just don't eat too many ;))
PurePurple
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby luvva » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:40 pm

Each time you start a new diet, you're probably being too strict and not allowing yourself any treats. That isn't going to work, as the whole diet seems a lot harder and you can't even have anything you like.

Plan a diet which includes things that you do like, but don't allow yourself too many treats. You should also plan some exercise. Try and find something you like, it won't be such a chore and you'll get healthier while doing something you enjoy.
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Lorelei » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:43 am

I think I'm turning into a walking advertisement for Paul McKenna, but I think his weight-loss programme is extremely simple and effective. It's centred around 'the secrets of naturally slim people' and the four golden rules are:
1.When you're hungry, eat.
2.Eat what you want.
3.Eat slowly and consciously.
4.When you're no longer hungry, stop.
He also advocates working on your self-esteem, beating cravings, and incorporating exercise into your daily routine (for example, more walking, as amanda11 suggested.)
You can find more information by searching the net, or you can buy his book.
The only down-side to this plan is that it doesn't really focus on healthy eating, so you might also consider making a list of healthy, low-fat foods that you LIKE, and only buying them when you go shopping. That way, when you're hungry, you don't have the option of bingeing on fattening foods. If you live with people who eat a lot of junk food, ask them to lock these items away. Once you re-train your eating habits, you will find it easier to maintain an appropriate weight. Good luck! xxx
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Liquidius » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:08 am

I like the sound of that....
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby jimmy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:37 pm

i have been on a diet for 3 months and lost 2 stone. No gommicks, no branded diet drinks just eat healthly, cut down your portions and do a bit of cardio. Cut out all sweets, chrisps, fast food and replace it with low fat food and fruit and veg. instead of having 4 sandwiches have 2. do half an hour's walk everyday, if your traveling by bus get off one stop early and walk it.

do not skip meals and drink plenty of water, no fizzy drinks, no ribena just water. You will start to notice more afterwards and you will lose the weight. 80 peercent of loosing weight is your diet. if your putting on more weight your eating wrong. And keeping in shape is not a short term thing, after you lost the weight and you eat unhealthily you will put it back on.

if you want to be healthy in this world you have to be strict on yourself.
you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours...
jimmy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Cameron2810 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:53 pm

Lorelei wrote:I think I'm turning into a walking advertisement for Paul McKenna, but I think his weight-loss programme is extremely simple and effective. It's centred around 'the secrets of naturally slim people' and the four golden rules are:
2.Eat what you want.
3.Eat slowly and consciously.
He also advocates working on your self-esteem, beating cravings, and incorporating exercise into your daily routine (for example, more walking, as amanda11 suggested.)
You can find more information by searching the net, or you can buy his book.
The only down-side to this plan is that it doesn't really focus on healthy eating, so you might also consider making a list of healthy, low-fat foods that you LIKE, and only buying them when you go shopping. That way, when you're hungry, you don't have the option of bingeing on fattening foods. If you live with people who eat a lot of junk food, ask them to lock these items away. Once you re-train your eating habits, you will find it easier to maintain an appropriate weight. Good luck! xxx

I saw this Paul McKenna thing also and laughed hysterically when he was showing people what to do. The chewing exceptionally slowly part was just ridiculous.

The other rules made sense though. Iw as refering to this part:

2.Eat what you want.

That's absolutely true.

Also, try drinking water when you feel you might need to eat. Sometimes when your body is telling you you are hungary, you are actually thirsty, so plenty of water is essential.

I am lucky in this sense, I am not overweight, nor am I exceptionally fat, but I do like a good, healthy diet to prolong my life.

I make sure my kids are eating all the right foods as well. Plenty of fruit and vegetables in a diet is essential for growing children and for adults such as ourselves.

Plenty of exercise is also the key, burning of fat will help towards losing weight if you wish to. Simple things like walking the stairs instead of taking lifts, walking your children/walking to work in stead of driving (depending on distance and luggage), joining a gym or if gym's bore you a fitness club/sports club. There are lots of interesting ways to exercise.

If you take a friend in for the ride, the exercising ride, it can be lots more fun, adn when your having that good old natter you'd usually have over a cup of tea and biscuits, will pass the time quicker.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cameron
Cameron2810
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby jimmy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:37 pm

2.Eat what you want.

i believe this is totally untrue, when someone who is fat the stomach is also large that means the food intake before becoming full is alot more. For example a far person can eat alot more before becoming full than a thin person. So eating till you are full is normally bad because a fat person can eat alot more than the daily recommendation which will not allow the person to lose the weight and most likely put on more weight and the more you eat the bigger your stomach will get.

if you are hungry drink water....
you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours...
jimmy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby xgemma86x » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:22 pm

Good idea :)

I can never follow a diet lol but ive lost weight naturally past few weeks :) Ive just eaten less,thats all :) but dont starve urself

xx
xgemma86x
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Laurajane » Mon May 08, 2006 2:11 pm

christ, i eat so fast, i couldnt ever eat slow lol.
*What do sheep count when they can't sleep?!*
*Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.*
*I've discovered that I often visit the state of confusion, and I know my way around pretty well.*
Laurajane
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Laurajane » Tue May 09, 2006 11:39 am

Anyway definitely exercise, i do badminton and go walking and i love it.
*What do sheep count when they can't sleep?!*
*Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.*
*I've discovered that I often visit the state of confusion, and I know my way around pretty well.*
Laurajane
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby sparkly_star » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:50 am

^^^^^
Spam :roll:

cheers, sparkly_star, got the git!
xxxxxx
peecee
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby art4u2006 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:26 pm

Just cut down on what you eat but deff EXCERISE is the most important. I find swimming and cycling the best :)
art4u2006
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to And the rest...