Work Experience?

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Work Experience?

Postby Liquidius » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:37 pm

I've just finished my first year at uni, and I'm expected to carry out some sort of work experience - but I don't know where to start really. Do I send a letter? An email?

Argh...any ideas would be useful :)
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bexical » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:18 pm

Ok firstly find a company in which you can approach, then right them a formal letter explaining to them what your doing and when send it then its a waiting game for a reply, make sure you have a couple of companies incase one turns you down
Bexical
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mariamaria » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:01 pm

Phone calls are your best bet, in my personal opinion. You're not waiting around for a letter to come through the post to confirm whether or not the company will take you on for a work placement.

Be sure to have a list of companies that might take you on. I'd say a list of about fifteen to twenty companies to start off with and just start phoning them up and asking them if they're willing to take you on.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby misskrystal » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:52 am

I started out at my company doing work experience. I sent an e-mail to the company and, luckily, they already knew my tutor, so they gave me an interview.

The best thing to do is usually to follow up any communication with a letter; calls may not be returned, e-mails deleted, but a letter (addressed to the correct person) will almost certainly be read.

Find out which department of the company you would be working for and look for the contact details of the relevant person (usually a personal assistant or secretary).
misskrystal
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Lorelei » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:06 am

I agree with all of the above. Also, if it's possible to call into the companies that you would like to work in, and hand a letter or CV in personally, it might be possible to meet someone in charge of hiring. People often make more of an impression when you meet them in person. Good luck! xxx
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby phoebe » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:01 pm

Its definetly worth a phone call first to make sure they take on work experience. Then find out who you should address a letter to regarding work experience. Then nothing beats a well presented letter to make somebody see your making the effort and your worth taking on
phoebe
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby morris mouse » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:13 pm

All VERY good advice given here,so far !! :D

I reckon a letter,along with a CV if possible, would be a good start [most likely to be read]
Then,depending on how you get on with that,followed up by a
personal visit

Hope this helps !! Do, please keep us up to date with what happens.
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to And the rest...