once in a lifetime chance???????

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

once in a lifetime chance???????

Postby mindful_milly » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:15 pm

ive been given the offer of going to italy to live with a family and teach their children english. But i can only stay a min of three months! which seems like ages to me as i still live at hme and have never moved away from home.
A part of me really wants to go, yet i feel somethings holding me back. I have all my friends here, moving to italy, when i cant speakthe language would make it impossible to make new ones.
Im not to bothered about leaving my parents, as it would be nice to have a break from them (sorry mum!) but im in love with the cutest guy ever, if i told him i was going it would break his heart, and id no that 3 months - well we just wouldnt last because we are not that serious.
I cant stop thinking about this!! it keeps circulating around in my head, yet i no this opportunity won't be there forever.
If any one has any advice, or has been abroad in agap year it would be nice to know how you got on.....
Thanks so much
love Milly x x
mindful_milly
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby phoebe » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:07 pm

My friends 22 year old sister has just come back from working in Italy for 4 months, she couldn't speak any Italian - and now speaks fluently - which I couldn't beleive I was hearing. But it can be done if you put your mind to it. Also to put the icing in the cake for her she met a guy and things are going really well between them. If I had the opportunity I would do it, if things are meant to be between you and the guy you like - he will still be here when you get home. Go for it!
'The best shield is to accept the pain - Then what can really destroy me?'
phoebe
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby chosenfew » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:12 pm

if your not 100% sure ya wanna go i wouldnt. i went away to work in tenewrife without knowing if i really wanted to go and i regret every minute if it. i came home after two weeks. if i had had the money i would have came home on day 2.

like you id just met a boy and we was not serious at all but you wouldnt believe how much we missed eachother. we realised we really loved eachother when i was away even thou wed only know eachother a few months. Now im glad in home and ive been with him 4months and i love him to death. dont know what i would have done if id have stayed out there for the three months i was ment to.
chosenfew
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Laurajane » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:45 pm

oh my god go woman, you will have a great time-
*What do sheep count when they can't sleep?!*
*Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.*
*I've discovered that I often visit the state of confusion, and I know my way around pretty well.*
Laurajane
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby silver tree » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:33 am

I did a year abroad in France and I loved it. it was without a doubt the best experience of my life so far. I loved it so much I didn't come back until September (most people left in June) and I only came back then as I had to go back to my Englsih uni.

Most people in most places in Italy know some English - where are you going to be in Italy if you take the job?

If you love this guy and you going would break his heart then why wouldn't it last 12 weeks apart (and you can get pretty cheap flights nowadays and even if you're in Sicily it's only 3 hours from London)?
silver tree
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby superchick » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:04 pm

you should definitely go honey, whats the worst that can happen, u dont like it so u come home. if you dont go u will never know wat u missed out on and if things dont work out with this boy u will regret not taking the chance to go. u never know whats round the corner and u should embrace these opportunities as they dont come very often. i would love to go abroad and i hope to do so in the future, although its scary it can be a life changing experience that u will treasure forever.
Good luck
superchick
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby mariamaria » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:35 am

Laurajane wrote:oh my god go woman, you will have a great time-

lol! Made me laugh.

Yeah, you should go, methinks. It's the opportunity of a lifetime. Boys come and go but you can't travel the world whenever you want. Go for it, chicky.
mariamaria
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Pwif » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:37 am

You say that your relationship with this guy isn't that serious (however cute he is!), so definitely go for it. I'm pretty sure you'll have a fantastic time and three months isn't long at all. I was an au pair in Germany for a year when I was 18, and it was one of the best times of my life. I also learnt the language very quickly. You'll do the same.

Get your passport out, pack your bags, and send us a postcard. :P
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Laurajane » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:18 pm

yeah have you gone yet lol. im so jealous
*What do sheep count when they can't sleep?!*
*Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.*
*I've discovered that I often visit the state of confusion, and I know my way around pretty well.*
Laurajane
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...