job dilemma

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

job dilemma

Postby suki » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:37 pm

hi,
im not too sure where to put this problem but hopefully someone will be able to help me. Basically i just got back from an interview in a clothing shop, i dont particularly want to work here but im desperate for a job. I got offered a job on the spot and told the manager i would let him know tomorrow if im gonna take it.

When i got home i got a message from a friend who knew i was looking for a job, she told me that she is working in the buying office of a large department shop which her dad manages and that there is a chance she can get me a job. The hours are flexible, pay is good and i have always being interested in this type of work. i will only really be answering calls, photocopying ect. but i think its a really good experience and will look good on my resume. The only problem is i dont find out if there is a job until friday. So my dilemma is do i wait till friday to see if the job i really want is mine and thus losing the job in the clothes shop or just take the job in the shop and get on with it.

My parents want me to take the job in the clothes shop because i am guaranteed it. My boyfriend wants me to wait until friday because if i get the job i will have my weekends free which is the only time i get to see him.

I need a job i am so broke but i want a good job which i will enjoy. What do i do? i want to please everyone and i dont want my parents to be angry i let the job in the shop go without being guaranteed another job!
HELP!!
x
suki
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby all_apologies » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:57 pm

Why don't you just accept the job in the clothing shop, then leave it if you get the job in the office? That way you're not passing up a job opportunity, but you've still got a chance of getting the job you'd prefer.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pink stripes » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:07 pm

all_apologies wrote:Why don't you just accept the job in the clothing shop, then leave it if you get the job in the office? That way you're not passing up a job opportunity, but you've still got a chance of getting the job you'd prefer.

Hi,

I agree with all_apologies. at least if you take this job youve got a job and that means moneys coming in. If your ofered the other job, then fantastic, go for it!
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby NeverKnown » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:07 pm

I'm agreed with All Apologies. Employers don't expect an employee for life anymore and will hardly be suprised if you quit. This is particuarly true for retail positions. If you accept this job, at least you'll have one.
NeverKnown
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby suki » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:31 pm

i have thought of that but in the interview he told me he wanted someone to commit to the job at least until christmas, i hate letting people down and he seemed so desperate for staff.
suki
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to And the rest...