This is SOOOOOO Pathetic!

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

This is SOOOOOO Pathetic!

Postby Squeak » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:37 pm

I feel I must apologise in advance for this "problem". It probably is the most pathetic one ever posted on this site, but (ahem), here goes.....

I've got rather long, all one (ish) length hair. Firstly, I'm dabbling with the thought of having a longish fringe cut in, but I'm worried it'll look a bit too dramatic. I know I'll probably hate it, but I'm still considering it. Does anyone have a longish fringe? Does it need loads of attention? I must admit, I just wash mine and leave it - I don't even own a hairdryer, so anything that demands more than the bearest of attention is probably a no go.

Secondly, if I did decide to get this done, I'm a little worried about my hairdresser doing it. She really is a lovely girl, and I get on well with her. The problem is, as my hair is pretty undemanding, she does an ok job just trimming it. I'm more than a little worried in trusting her to do more than trim it for me. Do I just be nice and let her do it (even though I think the results would be scary) or do I go to a more professional salon? Plus as well, if I did go somewhere else to get the fringe done, I would have to go back to my original hairdressers cos I don't drive and they are easy to get to. I wouldn't know how to explain to her why I went somewhere else etc.

Apologies for the mind numbingly ridiculous post!!!!! :o Any ideas or advice would be grand!
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: This is SOOOOOO Pathetic!

Postby Moose » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:54 pm

Hi,
Can't help you with the style and looks side of things, because I've got no style, but with your hairdresser dilemma.....

What makes you think your hairdresser won't be able to cut your hair well if you ask her for more than just a trim? Hairdressers get loads of training now, and even a trainee won't be left to work entirely unsupervised, so she's probably more capable than you think. Maybe you just haven't given her the chance to prove it yet! BUT if you do decide to go somewhere else for a big cut but want to return to her for your trims, you could always tell her that you were in another city/on holiday/something like that and you decided on the spur of the moment to get something different done.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Squeak » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:59 pm

Thanks for your reply Moose! I don't want it to seem like I'm being horrible to her, or anything like that, but I have noticed lately that my hair is kinda uneven all over. It's not too noticeable, but I can see that it's sort of lopsided. I don't mind too much cos like I say it's virtually all one length, but I don't think I'd be happy with the result if I let her do it. I know about her training cos she went to my college to do it!

It's a very good idea you came up with though about the different city etc. I may just use that one! :wink:
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Rosey Nosey » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi Squeak!

I have a longish fringe and to be honest, it doesnt take long to style and isn't too much hassle, it kind of adds an edge to my otherwise 'boring' straight style! the only thing is that it might get on ur nerves a bit at first as it kind of falls across ur face, but once u've tamed it, it's not a problem!!

As for ur problem with the hairdresser, i would go with Moose's advice and say that u had it done elsewhere as a spur of the moment thing! If ur not confident with her doing it, then go elsewhere, i would!
Who is she? Who is she? Where did you find her???
Rosey Nosey
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Squeak » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:28 pm

Hey Rosey!!!

Thanks for your reply! I guess that's what I'm worried about. It stays out of my face at the moment, but I'm thinking it'll probably itch like mad cos I won't be used to it! I think I'm also worried about it looking greasy as the day wears on, if you know what I mean!!!! :lol: :lol: So at least I won't have to be buying extra stuff to tame it - I hate spending time on my hair, so something easy is definately a bonus!

I will let you know if I decide to face the chop!!!!! :lol: :lol: Thanks again for all your help guys!!!!
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby kitten » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:45 pm

Remember if you don't like it, you can always pin fringe back with hair grips until it grows back in. :D
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Squeak » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:52 pm

Hey Kitten!

Yeah, that's true I spose!!!! I'm so rubbish with anything to do with hairstyles - I can hardly tie it back without it going all lumpy!!! To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure what to do!! I'll keep you all up to date!!!
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby ~Topaz~ » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:39 pm

Hiya. I have waist length hair (one length) with a "heavy" blunt fringe at just about eyebrow height. The fringe was put in by someone who did it wonky so I'd say it's very important to have it cut careful by someone you can trust. Once it's done you're stuck with it.
You can always say to your hair dresser that you'd had a couple of drinks and did it yourself!
My fringe only gets greasy if I'm stressed and constantly pushing it off my face.
It doesn't need anything clever done to it or any products. I'm a wash and go kinda girl. I keep it trimmed myself and sometimes after a couple of drinks it gets a bit more Edmund Blackadder than I'd like in which case I blast it down with as hair drier to make it look longer...but otherwise it does itself :)
~Topaz~
~Topaz~
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Squeak » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:54 pm

Hey Topaz!

Thanks loads for your advice! I think that's what I was afraid of! I had a fringe a while back and grew it out cos I really hated it, but my mum thinks I've got a bumpy forehead, so that's why I'm getting a bit paranoid!! It'll be a big thing for me to get a fringe again, so I'm ultra worried that something will go wrong - and like you said, I'd be stuck with it if it messed up!!!

You sound to be the same as me! I can never be bothered to do much with my hair, let alone purchase anything so technical as a hairdryer, so I think I'll have to consider my options a bit more!!!! Thanks loads for your advice though!!!
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby ayeaiii » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:28 pm

Hello!

If it helps at all, I think fringes are so great! I know a girl with a really long fringe that half covers one eye, and I think it looks really beautiful and willowy, expecially with her long hair. So I am sure it will look lovely!

I beleive, although fringes do need a lot of trimming, most people can mange to do it themselves, if they are careful, so it is not neccessary to spend a fortune, and have your second home at the hairdressers!! LOL

Also, I am SURE you don't have a bumpy forehead! I find no one is so creative as when finding bizare, and untrue things that are 'wrong' with their appearene!- Sure you are gorgeous! :biggrin:

..And about your hairdresser.. Bless you for being concerned of hurting her feelings! Sure you shall not! If you like, say something such as you were staying someone else, or you had a token for a free cut or such like.. sure she shall be fine!

Let us know how it goes, sure it will be fab! xxx

PS. Don't be concerned of being pathetic.. sometimes it is just that it is the little things that become so big in our heads!
ayeaiii
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby misskrystal » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:26 pm

You could always try gradually layering a fringe into your hair; mine is very long and just layers into the rest of my hair. Then, when you're used to the fringe (and of course if you like it) you can have a shorter fringe cut.

As far as greasiness goes, buy yourself some dry shampoo and spray some on whenever you need.
misskrystal
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Squeak » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:27 am

Thanks for your replies Ayeaiii and Miss Krystal, that was exactly the type of thing I had in mind!! I like the idea of having it gradually layered shorter, but I'm so still undecided! That'll definately be the way I go though!!!

Thanks again guys!! :wink:
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby xxxKELLYxxx » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:46 pm

i'm ahairdresser n my response is dnt have a fringe if you havent got the time to do it... invest inna hairdryern a large paddle brush put it under the fringe n wiv the hairdryer nozzle just point n pull un till dry if u've got time do ur whole head n finish wiv hairsparay then brush wiv so it isnt static ok mate x
xxxKELLYxxx
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Squeak » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:00 pm

Hey Kelly!

Thanks loads for that! I must admit, I spend about 0.5 seconds on my hair everyday, so to be fiddling about with a fringe may not be my cup of tea after all! I didn't realise I would need to invest in a hairdryer, I kinda assumed I could just get out of the shower as I do now and just leave it.... Plus as well I'll be spending most of my days under a big heavy mask soon, (yay, who cares if I have a bad hair day), so maybe it wouldn't be the best style to have!!!!

Thanks again for all your advice peeps!!! Muchly appreciated!! At least I've made a decision to keep it how it is for now.... :D
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby ayeaiii » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Aw, Glad that you like it! I bet it looks gorgeous!!
xxx
¸.·`¯`·.¸¸.·`¯`· ¸.·`¯`·.¸¸.·`¯`·
Truth, Beauty, Freedom and Love
¸.·`¯`·.¸¸.·`¯`· ¸.·`¯`·.¸¸.·`¯`·
ayeaiii
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...