Tension Headaches/ Very Tense Muscles

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Tension Headaches/ Very Tense Muscles

Postby _Chelsea_ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Hey everyone

First lemme say what a great site this is - Have been lurking for some time now and it's one of the friendliest places I've come across! That being said I was actually registered here before a long time ago haha.

I guess I'll cut to the chase. I'm 16, I do suffer from moderate/severe depression, severe anxiety disorder and chronic agoraphobia, so I am very good at working myself up over anything. I don't think my headaches are down to this however, as I have been suffering from this for almost 6 years without anything more than the occasional but rare for me normal headache.

From last Wednesday, I have been getting terrible headaches though. I'm not sure if they're moderate or severe because as I said I never get them, so I can't compare, and I also have no clue where they'd rank on a scale of 1-10 either.

I really don't know what the cause is, I very rarely take any form of medication whenever I am ill, but last week I was taking multi vitamins but stopped about 4 or so days after incase that was the cause, plus they seemed to be upsetting my stomach. I was panicking so much then that my mom made me take a diazepam, I honestly can't remember if it made a difference, all I remember is the day I took them I took a two hour nap at night and felt terrible and groggy all over when I woke up, so I didn't take them again. Saturday was what I think my worst headache day was - I spent most of the day lying down in bed and couldn't do much at all really.

I started taking paracetamol on Monday, just one pill every 4 hours and it seemed to make a difference, but I took only one yesterday and none today as I suspect a rebound headache but I can't be sure.

I saw a doctor yesterday, because it had gotten to the point where I was scared to sleep incase it was something serious or deadly and I was making myself worse. My mom came in with me because quite honestly, I was scared I wouldn't be allowed back home. The doctor shone that light thing in my eyes, and I'm not certain what they look at, but whatever it is, she said it's perfect and the edges were 'beautifully white' whereas if there is pressure on the brain, she said you can't even see the edges. She told me then that there's no pressure on the brain, and that it's a classic tension headache and not worth my worrying. I should be reassured but I'm not - Because she didn't go into much detail on a cause or a relief or ask as many questions as I had expected, and also my mom played it down a bit, and I don't feel I got the time to explain my symptoms as fully as I'd have liked.

I'll try to describe my average headache as best as I can now then:

Certain noises just seem louder than I remember, i.e - the fish tank filter. It's not that it's unbearable to be in a room that's lit up and full of noise, it's just much easier if I'm not. I spend most of my time in my room now, and once it gets dark I just flip the lamp on rather than the light. The headaches don't wake me up at night, but they do keep me awake for a little while longer that it would normally take for me to sleep,but I'm not sure if it's the actual pain itself or me worrying. Up until yesterday, the headache took my appetite away badly, for 4 or 5 days all I could manage was a few biscuits and crackers a day with my only meal being egg and toast. I wasn't drinking nearly enough either - Just a few sips here and there. The headache is sometimes there when I wake up, but only mildly. It gets worse as they day goes by, and tends to start at the temples, and then move behind my ears to the back and bottom of my head(if that makes sense) but is sometimes on the top of my head. It started as an ache, but now it feels warm or burning like(I'm not sure which because as mentioned before - I never get these so I don't know lol). They get worse towards the evening/night time, and maybe it's unrelated but I am recently finding it hard to keep warm. I also feel very nauseas, if it's not a bad headache it's bad nausea but when both come together, the headache tends to be much worse. It might sound mad and I don't know if it's the right way to put it, but sometimes it feels as if something is 'crawling' inside my head. My vision is fine, minus a few tiny dots here and there but I think that's normal as I get that sometimes when I feel 100% fine, but there's no blurring or aura or anything. My mom keeps telling me it's not serious and that if it were after a week, I'd know it by now - A paramedic friend of mine told me it's not serious, the doctor doesn't think it's serious, but why do I beg to differ? Am I just winding myself up for nothing?

I also felt weak and dizzy, not dizzy anymore really - But still kinda weak.

If it doesn't start to lift, or if it hasn't gone by Monday or Tuesday I'm going back to the doctor I think, for a more thorough check, because it might sound dramatic but I honestly am petrified and I don't know what to do, I'm just really scared it's serious.

It may be worth the mention now that I panic 100 times more and much easier when I'm ill anyway, so with facing an illness which is new to me, it's much worse. But I don't put these headaches down to my anxieties, because as I said - I have been dealing with them for 6 years and never have experienced this.

There's no family history of brain tumours or anything of the sort as far as I'm aware, but I'm not too sure about migraine - I don't think so but I'm not 100% certain so I don't wanna say for sure.

I suppose my main questions are:

Is the doctor right that no pressure on the brain rules out anything serious?
How likely is it that it is serious/life threatening?
Does anyone here go through this and can you reccomend anything?
Reassurance...Am I going to be okay?

Sorry for such a long post, but I'm just totally scared, any words at all would be nice - I have researched online but every time a website explains symptoms of migraine and headaches and such, there just doesn't seem to be one that won't mention the word tumour or something like it, and that really gets my heart going.

I've gone into as much detail as I can think of right now, but if anyone needs to know any more I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks in advance everyone
:)
Last edited by _Chelsea_ on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Bad Headaches For Someone Who Doesn't Get Headaches?

Postby Pigglet » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi, I can't offer much but would say that if the doctor, and a paramedic friend have said it's nothing to worry about then I would try not to worry, (easier said than done I know) but also, I think if you are still worried then you are right to go back to the doctors next week! T

I remember, when my sister was younger she suffered terrible with migranes that seemed to have similar symptons to what you've described. It did happen in phases though she didn't start getting them till her early teens and now she hasn't had one for years. If I remember rightly she did end up having a a small operation for high blood pressure but I'm not sure if was related to the headaches. Might be something worth asking the doctor about.

If you are worried over the weekend, go to the chemist and speak to them as they may be able to recomend something or just try to put your mind at ease. I don't recomend looking on the internet too much about symptoms like these as they always have a worse case senario which is possible but unlikely. It will just make you panic more which won;t go any way to helping your headaches. When taking painkillers I would recommend taking parecetamols and ibuprofen alternatively so your body dosen't get too 'used' to any particular one, and you can take these at shorter intervals inbetween as ibubrofen doesn't contain paracetamol. (thats what the doctors and dentist have told me before when I've needed constant pain relief)

It could be migranes as I believe that they can start affecing people at any time, just like someone I know suddenly became allergic to prawns in there thirties!

Try not to worry hun and let us know how you get on! x
Just remember, nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. :D x
Pigglet
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby _Chelsea_ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks for your reply! Appreciate it :D

I have kind of noticed that touch wood right now the head aches don't seem to be as severe as they were, and I won't take any paracetamol now 'cause like you said I think I just got too used to them. I'll see how I go this weekend :)

Thanks again :)
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:43 am

I'd guess they are migranes or some form of migranes. I get "weird" headaches where the light hurts, if I look up I get dizzy, I get blurred vision and they last for ages/days and I feel "spaced out" and can't concentrate - it seems similar.

Pigglet wrote:taking painkillers I would recommend taking parecetamols and ibuprofen alternatively so your body dosen't get too 'used' to any particular one, and you can take these at shorter intervals inbetween as ibubrofen doesn't contain paracetamol. (thats what the doctors and dentist have told me before when I've needed constant pain relief)

I've also been told that - although I did take them I felt ill from taking them and I was going dizzy and stuff - the best thing is to try them and see how you feel, if you start feeling ill stop taking so many.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:17 pm

you said you had an upset stomach from what you thought were multi vitamins. it could be you had a bug and thats whay you had stomach upset and headaches.
Migraines can interfere with sight and also any noise irritates you. They are severe and can make you feel sick too although it will not get better with paracetomol. Diazepam can actually give you mild headaches and make you feel groogy.
Go back to the doctors and have a list of question to make sure you get tham all answered, if nothing else it will stop you worrying which may be making the headaches worse
Are you getting any treatment for the anxiety? If not talk to the doctor about that too
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby _Chelsea_ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Hey everyone

First I wanna say thanks for the replies, and even just to anyone who read this(congrats on making it to the end! :lol:..Haha I sound like I'm making an acceptance speech!)

I went back to the doctors today, and I saw a different doctor. I feel better this time as I think I explained things as thoroughly as I wanted to the first time. Anyways, he said it's definatley just tension, lack of sleep, depression, ancxiety/panic all rolled into one cluster. He told me it's nothing to worry about, and can come on at any time for anyone. I've been put back on prozac, and he said to take it at night and that should start easing it. I had wanted to go back on some form of medication anyway - But I guess this is just a reminder of how bad things are right now. I don't feel weak for taking meds - I actually feel stronger in some way, but I just feel bad because I know I still have a long road ahead of me, and I tend to get ill for the first week or two of anti depressants but fingers crossed - This is my third time on meds for my mental health and my second on prozac - Let's hope it's a case of third time lucky! :lol:

He suggested I also go for an eye test, in case my eyes are strained. He also said he needs glasses himself for headaches...So I'm gonna book an appointment for that. I was also told I'm making this harder for myself than it needs to be, so to stop worrying! I'm just gonna keep in mind two doctors can't be wrong(especially the two best ones who work there) and if he thought for a second it was serious, he wouldn't have let me leave his office, same with the doctor I saw before him.

Thanks a million again everyone :)
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Pigglet » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi, I'm really gald you've got your headaches sorted and found the doctor helpful

Bel Bel wrote:Are you getting any treatment for the anxiety? If not talk to the doctor about that too

However, Have you tried any counselling for your anxiety and depression. I could be wrong but I don't think medication alone is going to help long term if this is something you've suffered with for a while!

while you've found a doctor you can talk to it may be worth speaking to them about ways to takle these thing also!

:) x
Just remember, nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. :D x
Pigglet
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby _Chelsea_ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:22 pm

Pigglet wrote:Hi, I'm really gald you've got your headaches sorted and found the doctor helpful

However, Have you tried any counselling for your anxiety and depression. I could be wrong but I don't think medication alone is going to help long term if this is something you've suffered with for a while!

while you've found a doctor you can talk to it may be worth speaking to them about ways to takle these thing also!

:) x

No you're absoloutley right :)

But I am currently in counselling, and have been for 6 years so I do have that as another source of help :) I go weekly, and it was a psychiatrist who put me on prozac first and also the other medication I tried (Cipralex), thanks for the suggestion anyway though :) I'm thinking maybe just a happy meal would make me happy? ;)
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Oh now you have made me hungry - a cheeseburger happy meal sounds ace =P~

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby _Chelsea_ » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi guys

Update - *Touches wood* The headaches seem to have gone, they lasted almost a month and tablets began to have little effect so I'd say they sorted themselves out. However, now I am in a lot of pain and I don't know why. It's a burning sensation, sometimes it's so bad it feels like my body is on fire. Other times it feels like an elephant is standing on me. It started in my lower back, but is now all over my back, in the back of my neck, occasionally behind my ears and sometimes it feels like it's coming through into my chest/around my rib cage. I don't have it anywhere else - Earlier I think I felt it around my bottom but it didn't last long and last night I had it in my hand, and it felt quite bad but again it didn't last long. It seems to 'live' in my back/torso. I'm not sure what kind of pain barrier I have, but sometimes I'd call it agony. I'm also weak, light, and I feel very nauseaous at times. The first time I experienced this was when I took the prozac, it woke me up one night so I stopped taking it because I thought hat might be it but clearly it wasn't. When the headaches went, the burning ache went with them, but came back about 4 days later. It's been back almost a week now and I'm so petrified. I said beforehand the headaches have gone which they have - But sometimes this pain spreads to my head and face, it's not like a headache, it's just like...Well the best way I can put it is that it's just stemming to other parts of my body now, this pain.

Like I mentioned I suffer from anxiety which at the moment is severe, and I'm absoloutley convinced I'm dying(As dramatic as it sounds) The soonest I can go to a doctor is Monday, and my anxiety wouldn't let me sit in a hospital for hours on end waiting for results. My mom has said I look fine - Just worried, and that if she thought for a second anything was wrong she'd dial 999, and that mom's just 'know'.

I'd like to believe her, but honestly I am so petrified that I'm dying and it's tearing me up, I'm very teary and frightened etc, and it's to the point where I'm scared to shut my eyes at night.

I don't have balance problems, I'm not dropping things, I haven't passed out nor vomited. I've felt close to the last two today but I also have my period & I was given a new medication to try, a tranquiliser called risperidone which I only recently started and I was told it kicks in quick with side effects sometimes so I don't know. I also don't have any noticable red marks anywhere on me.

My question is...How likely is it that it's serious? I'm trying to think positive that all those doctors(6 in total through visits/phone calls) would know by now, and that also the doctor guy where I go for counselling would know too(I explained to him as it's made me very anxious)

I'm really petrified and going out of my mind, but there's nothing I can do except take pain killers until Monday. I'm not sure if all my muscles are tensed up, or if the tension headache has moved to other parts of my body(after all, a month of a tension headache would possibly leave the rest of me feeling very tense?) or if I have a trapped nerve because I've never felt pain like this...And tbh I'd like to hear that I'm just winding myself up over something that once found can be easily fixed but I really am beyond petrified.

Has anyone here felt anything like this, and if so what did you do for pain relief and how long did it take to go?

Anyone got any ideas for a girl who's driving herself mad :( ?
Thanks everybody!

P.s - Bel Bel, did you ever get that happy meal? ;)
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby snail » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:06 pm

Hmmm, well, reading your post, my gut reaction is to agree with your mum. I think this is caused by your anxiety. The symptoms don't match anything I can think of, and the way the pain 'wanders' also suggests it's psychosomatic - if part of your body wasn't working, the pain would be in the same place all the time. Although pain can be quite widespread, I don't think any real problem could cause pain in your face, your hands and your torso, at different times. Also (speaking as someone who's had lots of similar things) the way this new problem has appeared once your headaches have gone is also very suggestive of anxiety. It's typical that one symptom gets thoroughly investigated, it stops scaring you, and it then fades away, to be replaced by a new one that you can worry about all over again. (Been there, done that - in my teens and twenties. Now that my anxiety is better my health is much better too).

So by all means see a doc on Monday, but try not to worry.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby _Chelsea_ » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:18 pm

Thanks, Snail :D

I had a bad night last night - I felt very light & weak and my eyes went funny(This is a side effect from the tranquiliser and has only started since I started taking it and stopped sleeping) And my mom had to sit with me from 4am-5am, and today I considered A&E but I think that's more of my anxiety than anything. I'm definatley going to the doc's tomorrow and will keep you all posted :)
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby _Chelsea_ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 pm

Long story short -

Doc took my temperature, blood pressure, checked my throat and ears and all of that was absoloutley perfect. He then felt my back and said I just have very tense muscles, which I need to gently exercise out of them. I have been exercising them today and I don't expect miracles but I still feel really rubbish - Light, burning, achey, stiff etc..A part of me is still niggling away trying to convince myself it's serious...I'm trying not to let it though but it's easier said than done.

Mom said my muscles aren't as stiff as they were even just yesterday but me being me I'm still extremely nervous and worried. When I did these exercises I could feel my muscles clicking and burning more and stuff but mom said this is normal and a good sign that I'm getting the knots out of them.

Anyone got any hints for what I can do to relax my muscles? And how I can expect to feel when the tension is releasing itself and how long it'll take for me to see a difference?

Thanks guys :)
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Tension Headaches/ Very Tense Muscles

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:44 am

It'll take a few weeks or months before you can see a difference. The problem is you may not even feel a difference because you notice it every day so say you've been doing your exercises for 80 days you may not notice a difference because the last comparisson you have is day 79 and day 79 will have improved drematically from day 1.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Tension Headaches/ Very Tense Muscles

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:00 pm

GO AND HAVE A COUPLE OF MASSAGES, TRY ONE A WEEK FOR A BIT. I get tension in my neck and have to have regular massage to keep my muscle from tightening and they can bring on headaches

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Next

Return to Physical