Tension Headaches/ Very Tense Muscles

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Tension Headaches/ Very Tense Muscles

Postby snail » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:29 pm

Yes, I would think stress in both cases. After pregnancy, stress is the most likely cause of a missed period. I missed 3 in row once when I was very stressed.

Can you tell us why you suffer from so much anxiety, Chelsea? I think you said it had been going on for several years, didn't you?
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby _Chelsea_ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:51 pm

snail wrote:
Can you tell us why you suffer from so much anxiety, Chelsea? I think you said it had been going on for several years, didn't you?

Yes, I suggest you sit back and relax haha...This might be quite a read since my anxieties have changed over the years. When I was 12, I was diagnosed with school phobia, which led to panic/anxiety disorder, which led to agoraphobia. Basically I spent a year in my room, and had to be taught at home afterm oving schools four times. After losing touch with the outside world, I developed all sorts- An eating disorder, insomnia, etc. So I'd get anxious about my sleeping pattern and eating also. More recently - It's just any anxiety of stepping outside the front door, incase something happens to me. Fear of the most basic things - Shutting my eyes at night, incase something happens to me. Trying to sleep before sunrise-Incase something happens to me. Scared to live- Incase something happens to me...I think you can see a pattern forming. I'm not used to being ill like this, a cold or something sure, but I never have felt like this. I never understood why people took time off work for a stress related illness...But if this truely is just stress, now I get it fully. I'm always just anxious that something will happen to me - Not something small, worst case sceanrio. I.e-With the doctors, they missed something or I missed something. But 7 doctors aren't stupid and blood tests don't lie. I think a lot of it is insecurity as well - I won't ask for help from family, because...Truth be told, they don't understand the scale of my fear and I can't make them understand, as much as I try. I fret a lot when I'm alone also, again, in case something happens to me. This is why I feel like I'm going out of my mind again now, because I'm almost convinced - Sometimes I'd say I'm certain that something awful is happening inside of me and no one is seeing it-truth be told that I'm dying or something very extreme. Although logically I know the #1 cause for muscle aches and pains is stress and stuff, panic isn't letting me think logically.

I hope I've answered your question as best as I can 'cause truth be told...I don't know exactly why I'm so anxious either, it literally all started over night all those years ago.
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:31 am

_Chelsea_ wrote: if people are awake I'll talk to them on MSN or via phone.

I used to go on the computer before bed and I found I never slept well...I stopped using the computer before bed and my sleeping improved. Also if you are using a laptop when you are in bed...bed becomes a social thing rather than a sleeping thing.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:33 am

_Chelsea_ wrote:I don't know exactly why I'm so anxious either, it literally all started over night all those years ago.

Were you being bullied, were you worried about school work? Was there anything going on at the time to make you change?
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:26 am

yes all your symptoms including lack of period are about tension and stress. I often store tension in my neck and have to get regular massage to stop it building up and my neck feels how you describe
it's good your seeing your counsellor before the 7th
Ask her to give you some coping techniques and more importantly some techniques you can use everyday to calm yourself
If you are regularly trying to stop the tension building it will help
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:57 am

The reason I asked is that, if you can find and help the underlying cause of your intense fear, the ways it shows itself will be less frightening. School phobia, agoraphobia, hypochondria, etc are all just symptoms of how fearful you are, rather than problems in themselves. If your counsellor isn't helpful, perhaps you can try another.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:09 am

This might sound odd/extreme but have you ever thought
"so what if i die at least if i get out there i would have enjoyed life before it happens"
Seriously if you have a brain tumour (which i am pretty damn sure you don't) then how is hiding in your bedroom going to stop you from dying
Hiding away is just destroying any life you could be having so your quality of life is so poor at the moment surely it's worth the risk to get out there and have some fun
So basically in all these years this counsellor hasn't actually helped, time to ask to see someone else???

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby _Chelsea_ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:18 pm

I've been coming off the laptop a little earlier each night now, a few nights ago it'd be like 5am or so, last night it was about 3:45-4am I think..I know it's still late but I'm trying. The reason I'm going on the 7th is to be referred to another team. My counselor was useful, but only while I was still in school to arrange things, now my problems have changed and I don't think she can cater for whatever is wrong with me.

All I can say is, at the time where it clicked over night, nothing changed. My mom thinks it all started when I started my period which was about the middle of year 6, she said I've never been the same since but I really don't know. I just went to bed all nervous/excited to start secondary school, then when I got there, that's when it started.

As of now, all I feel is extremely depressed, alone, frightened, petrified. This whole health thing, has taken a lot out of me too. I'm still very fearful that there's something very wrong with me - That's why I have all this night time fear, in case something happens at night and no one would know. I don't know...I really just don't know anymore. I tried to talk to my mom about it 4 times yesterday to try and get her to see the scale of my fear, and it didn't really go so well. By the end of it I felt insane and like I just was ready to curl up in a ball and scream my lungs out. A friend was supposed to come today and spend the night, which I really needed for a boost, and as selfish as it sounds, I wouldn't be as fearful at night with someone there...I was kinda looking forward to the company etc and now she can't come. I'm so gutted...It's just silly little things like that which would normally annoy me to a certain extent but then I'd be fine, and now I sit here crying because she's not coming and I just feel so alone and everything. Just so frightened to be alone...Obviously someone can't be with me all the time and I get this...But I'm so scared that I'm seriously ill that I've given myself so many phobias over it.

I guess...What I'm saying basically just comes down to I'm depressed as hell, I'm literally frightened for my life, and I feel so alone...And I have no idea what to do about it anymore.
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:36 pm

I'm just wondering what do you do with yourself? Do you stay home all day? Do you still go to school do you work?

If you are spending all day at home then you are bound to feel lonely and depressed. Have you thought about joining a night class? Night classes are normall quite small 10-20 people and it's mostly adults going to learn; it may do you some good to go out and learn something new - just to keep your brain occupied, plus being a smaller class it would be easier to adapt into it rather than a class of 30+.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby _Chelsea_ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:41 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:I'm just wondering what do you do with yourself? Do you stay home all day? Do you still go to school do you work?

If you are spending all day at home then you are bound to feel lonely and depressed. Have you thought about joining a night class? Night classes are normall quite small 10-20 people and it's mostly adults going to learn; it may do you some good to go out and learn something new - just to keep your brain occupied, plus being a smaller class it would be easier to adapt into it rather than a class of 30+.

Home all day & you're right. I have no distractions whatsoever. The reason I don't do school or classes or anything, is because my agoraphobia won't allow me to do anything on that scale just yet. I'd love to do a night class or any class or just, anything - But I'm not really ready for that step yet...That's still kinda huge to me. I'd love to try it at some point though...But as of now fear has gripped me bad enough for that to be not possible just yet & I'd push myself for it, but I still wouldn't be able to do it, or at least not go that far anyway. Hmm...I'm not sure. I'll look into it if I start feeling better though, see what there is locally.
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:09 pm

But you manage to get to the counsellor so you can go out???
I think a new counsellor will hopefully help to sort some things out or at least get some better perspective so you can take back a bit of your life again

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby _Chelsea_ » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:13 pm

Bel Bel wrote:But you manage to get to the counsellor so you can go out???
I think a new counsellor will hopefully help to sort some things out or at least get some better perspective so you can take back a bit of your life again

It's a strain for me to go there, and I only go because if I didn't go there I'd have almost 0 contact with the outside world. Plus, I have to get a taxi there and a taxi straight back and sometimes I can't last the full hour...Or perhaps it's just that I'm so used to going there now after all these years. I still get anxios and agitated, but it's almost like a habit for me to go there. And I agree Bel Bel, I'd actually be really relieved if they'd be able to tell me exactly what is wrong with me so I can begin to make changes & get to the bottom of it, and do the appropriate thing to make it better.

Bel Bel, just wondering, besides massage - Do you find anything else useful for tension?

Thank you everyone :)
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:17 pm

How about taking something up like painting - if your painting skills are as good as mine how about getting some paint by numbers or some cross stitch or knitting patterns (I know they aren't cool things) however doing something which requires some thinking will make you feel better. The reasons you aren't sleeping is because you are doing nothing; you are doing nothing to get tired.

Would you go to a nightclass with your mam or with a friend?
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Well i was doing yoga until i had an ankle op recently, you could get a yoga DVD but be careful to get one for beginners and make sure you do the excercises properly

What about meditation? I am sure you could find some stuff on the internet. Breathing properly can really help with anxiety.

Exercise is also good for tension so try doing a work out dvd to get rid of some excess energy, it might help you sleep better too if you burn off some energy

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby _Chelsea_ » Fri May 01, 2009 8:09 pm

Thanks for the replies :)

I think when I start to feel better anxious wise I can attempt a night class, because it'd be 100 times easier if someone could come with me. And thanks Bel Bel for the tips, appreciated as always :) I've been doing gentle exercises again, mom siad my shoulders are around 30% better and less knotted than yesterday, but that my neck is still hot even though I don't feel hot?

Also my back hurts, but she said it doesn't feel tense. I have a headache currently again, it's at the top back of my skull and feels like little stabby pains or like a bad case of pins & needles, sometimes goes to my cheeks and nose. Is this also caused by the tense muscles again? My head seriously feels bloated and like there's too much fluid or blood there...But I don't know if that's just panic. Sometimes it makes me dizzy.

This might be a really silyl question...But can you hemorrhage from tense muscles or can anything serious happen at all from muscle tension?
Can I trust the doctors still?

& Even though my mom said my neck doesn't feel tense and just hot, is there anything I can do about that to calm it down?
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

PreviousNext

Return to Physical