itchy nipple?

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

itchy nipple?

Postby innocent » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:51 pm

such a silly question but was just curious.

does anyone know what this is a symptom of?

i've had it for a couple of weeks now mainly one but can be both sometimes.

its soo bad it doesn't matter whether i wear a bra, don't wear a bra, just out of the shower or not. driving me crazy.

its not dry skin because the skin there is healthy looking, no rash just itchyness.
Alis Grave Nil- Nothing is heavy to those who have wings.
innocent
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: itchy nipple?

Postby snail » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:02 pm

Infected nipple, maybe? There's something there causing irritation, and if it was an environmental cause then it should affect both at once, you'd think. Keep an eye on it, but it'll probably go by itself.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:21 pm

I would go to the doctor
I don't want to scare you and i dobut it is but a friend of mine had breast cancer and her early sypmtoms was itchy nipple although she did get a discharge too but not intially
As I said it probably isn't but it's alwasy best to get these things early so please just check even if to put your mind at rest
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby _Chelsea_ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Agreed with the two posters above basically.

It could just be an irritation or an infection, but it's worth looking into. Ask at a pharmacy if you don't want to go to a doctors office, although a doctors would be best. Remember though you have no reason to feel embarrassed about it, professionals deal with stuff like this on a daily basis. Just keep an eye on it and try not to worry, but if it gets worse or changes significantly, it's definatley worth a trip to a doctor.
_Chelsea_
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:25 pm

By coincidence a colleague sent me this today

Paget's Disease: This is a rare form of breast cancer, and is on the outside of the breast, on the nipple and aureole. It appeared as a rash, which later became a lesion with a crusty outer edge. I would not have ever suspected it to be breast cancer but it was. My nipple never seemed any different to me, but the rash bothered me, so I went to the doctor for that.. Sometimes, it itched and was sore, but other than that it didn't bother me. It was just ugly and a nuisance, and could not be cleared up with all the creams prescribed by my doctor and dermatologist for the dermatitis on my eyes just prior to this outbreak. They seemed a little concerned but did not warn me it could be cancerous.
Now, I suspect not many women out there know a lesion or rash on the nipple or aureole can be breast cancer. (Mine started out as a single red pimple on the aureole. One of the biggest problems with Paget's disease of the nipple is that the symptoms appear to be harmless. It is frequently thought to be a skin inflammation or infection, leading to unfortunate delays in detection and care.)

What are the symptoms?

1. A persistent redness, oozing, and crusting of your nipple causing it to itch and burn (As I stated, mine did not itch or burn much, and had no oozing I was aware of, but it did have a crust along the outer edge on one side.)

2. A sore on your nipple that will not heal. (Mine was on the aureole area with a whitish thick looking area in center of nipple).

3. Usually only one nipple is effected.. How is it diagnosed? Your doctor will do a physical exam and would suggest having a mammogram of both breasts, done immediately. Even though the redness, oozing and crusting closely resemble dermatitis (inflammation of the skin), your doctor should suspect cancer if the sore is only on one breast. Your doctor should order a biopsy of your sore to confirm what is going on..

This message should be taken seriously and passed on to as many of your relatives and friends as possible; it could save someone's life.

My breast cancer has spread and metastasized to my bones after receiving mega doses of chemotherapy, 28 treatments of radiation and taking Tamaxofin. If this had been diagnosed as breast cancer in the beginning, perhaps it would not have spread...
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby bellajennie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:28 am

Padgets disease is very rare, is almost exclusive to one nipple, occurs usually in post-menopausal women with main symptoms being very discharged-related so it is unlikely, so please don't panic. It is more likely dermatitis and can be treated. See you doctor for advice.
The World is Your Oyster - If only you could get the damn thing open!
bellajennie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Physical