Pain in legs

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Pain in legs

Postby caren » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:46 pm

I've recently been making an effort to get healthier and after about two years (so shameful!!) of doing absolutely no exercise whatsoever I've started to go walking for an hour every day. The problem is that some days my legs really hurt for no reason at all. I dont get out of breath or tired but these burning pains start, sometimes in one leg and sometimes in both, right down the front of my shins and its agony to stay going. Mostly it goes away when i stop but once or twice they've stayed hurting for hours after. Weird thing is, it doesnt happen every time. Its just annoying cause I enjoy the bit of exercise but now I dread going out in case it starts! Its awful cause I might be a mile or two away from home when it kicks in and have to limp home. I know i'm not a bit fit but surely this isnt right!!!
caren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Pain in legs

Postby LME79 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:12 am

You *may* have shinsplints - I used to get them a lot when I did a lot of running and they're not serious, just painful! Walking on concrete (I assume you're walking on the pavements) for that long may have that effect, especially if you're prone to it like I am. I wear two pairs of socks so it cushions the impact a bit more and if I'm in pain then I don't exercise that day.

To ease the burning sensation, try holding a pack of frozen veg within a tea towel to the shin - it sounds silly but it really does help!

Make sure you're wearing proper footwear - Asics do proper walking trainers (http://www.newitts.com/product/IT030797 ... _Shoes.htm) but if you don't want to fork out, wear proper trainers, not fashion trainers, with good socks. Walking in pure flats will only make the pain worse and walking in pure flats for extended periods of time is almost as bad as wearing high heels all day.

If the above doesn't work then I would advise you to see a physio :)
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Return to Physical