What is wrong with me?!

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

What is wrong with me?!

Postby Josie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:01 pm

I have no idea what could be wrong with me. I'd love some advice or opinions on what could be wrong. Here's a quick summary of what the last year has been like for me: I had twins 22nd April 08. I had c-section. Obviously felt awful after for a good while. Then had a couple of kidney/bladder infections in a row, took antibiotics for those, felt awful while I had those; not like stinging when peeing or pain in lower back -- none of that -- just feeling generally awful and ill. Since then I've been ok. I've suffered from depression on and off all my life, and have been on Lexapro/Cipralex since a few months after I had the babies. (I had been on the same anti-depressant before on and off, with no apparent side-effects). I am also on the pill. I also take Vivioptal vitamin supplement, Omega 3 capsules, and garlic capsule every day. I don't smoke. I don't over-drink (though I do have a couple of glasses of wine in the evening). I try to eat healthily. I don't get much sleep (because of the babies). Now here's what's wrong with me:
For the last few weeks I have been feeling really ill. Nausea, tiredness, very low sex drive, etc. I read that these can be side-effects of Lexapro/Cipralex, but I also read that they can be side-effects of the pill. I never experienced these side-effects with either of these brands before now, so do you think that's what's wrong with me? Can people just suddenly start experiencing these side-effects even if they've taken the medications long-term before and never had any bad side-effects? I feel really awful. I am exhausted, but can that give waves of nausea? I am lethargic, no energy, when before even if I'd had barely any sleep I would have been able to muster the energy to go for a long walk, fast, pushing the buggy. Now I cannot face that. It's on-and-off nausea, but it's often throughout the day. I am not pregnant (I'm on the pill -- Marviol/Marvelon) and I had a period recently and I even took a test because I was feeling so ill and could not think of any explanation. I went to the doc and told her how i'm feeling, said that I thought it was the anti-depressants that was making me feel like this, and that I wanted to wean myself off them. So I am slowly doing so, but no real difference yet. Please does anyone have an opinion on what is wrong with me? I feel drained, exhausted, lethargic, nauseous, and no sex-drive. Thanks for reading and for any advice or opinions!
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: What is wrong with me?!

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:52 am

Go to the doctor and tell them first.

You could have caught the flu or something because that hangs around for ages; I had flu and I slept most of the time; when I did get up just walking downstairs made me want to sleep again.

If you've also been ovedoing it for a while then you could just generally be run down. You may need to take iron tablets or something - I have a low(ish) iron content in my blood so I was always tired as well; I took iron tablets and it gave me more energy.

First step however is to definately go to the doctors!
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:42 pm

I agree with dipsy but you have had babies and your hormones will be up and down and all over the place so you could get differend side affects that previously
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby staravia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:18 pm

hi Josie,
I read your post when you put in on and have been dithering whether to give you my experience! (and I think you gave me some helpful advice on my 'caveman' of a husband!) .....so here goes!!
I experienced all these symptoms after giving birth to my son (now 9) but no medication to pin it on.
I also felt very stiff in the mornings and joint pain.
This continued for years, doctor wasn't able to detect anything and was put down as fibromyalgia, similar to ME. By the time my son was 6 I found out about a therapy called 'mickle therapy' which worked and thankfully I have been pain free ever since, my energy is back to normal and no un-explainable lethargy, as for sex......depends on how I'm feeling with my husband!!!!
I know it's a long shot, but my symptoms were brought on just after having my son. Anxiety was the main factor, he never slept, he was demanding and never stopped crying and I never had enough sleep or even time to eat properly and I was constantly worried about him, also running my own business at the same time I was feeling guilty every time I had to work.
Although you having Fibromyalgia is unlikely, your symptoms are common for someone suffering from stress/anxiety (with twins, even the world best super mum would suffer I'm sure!!)
How you deal with anxiety and stress with twins, I wish I could answer but for me it was writing down all my worries, confronting my past, crying, dealing with what I could, crying, asking for help when needed and accepting what I couldn't deal with and..... lots of crying!! just admitting I couldn't cope with everything and talking about it helped.
Do you get much support with the twins? are you eating, sleeping properly? do you feel you may be post-natal?
Anyway, you need all the strength you can get, more now than ever.

Take care and hope your feeling better soon!
staravia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Josie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I have been to the doctor but she had no idea what was wrong with me, and asked her to test for kidney/bladder infection and there wasn't any, and that was my only idea as to what could be wrong. Today has been the worst day so far. The babies did not sleep well last night and so I got up absolutely wrecked this morning. I had the same headache I went to bed with last night. I have absolutely no sex-drive still, and my partner is getting frustrated with me. He put the babies in their cots to play earlier, and took me into our room and told me he'd make me feel better haha! What is it with men that they can't understand that when we are unwell we just don't feel like sex! We talked about it and he said that even when he's sick he wants to, they just never switch it off it seems! I just never feel like it any more, especially when I'm feeling so unwell. I felt so low having to say no to him, feel I'm letting him down. Don't get me wrong, he's wonderful and doesn't try to make me feel guilty, it's just the way my mind works. (Sometimes I do it when I really don't want to, just to please him. He would hate it if he knew I did that, it would hurt him, but I usually don't feel like it so if I didn't do it anyway we'd have no sex. He wants it every day once at least). He says he thinks I stress and worry to the point of making myself ill, but I just don't know. I think maybe I'm just thoroughly exhausted from a year of far too little sleep. I'm not sure about your theory of 'fibromyalgia', Staravia, because I don't have the aches and pains, just nausea, exhaustion, headaches, no sex-drive. I feel drained and weak and nothing I do helps. I hate the mystery of it most. I so want/need to feel well, because I can't cope with being a mother/housewife otherwise. I'm weaning off the anti-depressants (at first I thought it was those that were causing it, now I don't know), and I'm thinking of coming off the pill too.... scary. Thanks again for your advice all, I hope I start feeling ok soon. xxxxxxxxxxxx
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:06 am

Personally I think the entire reason you are feeling the way you are is because you are just exhausted.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:05 pm

It is perfectly normal to feel totally exhasuted after one baby not just two
You need a break and some time for yourself
Can you partner have the kids all day on a weekend alone so he can see what you have to deal with, remind him you also have the house etc to clean?
He really needs to understand why you just aren't going to get in the mood without some relaxtion time.
Also do you both go out together and get some alone time, can you get a babysitter?
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Physical