Wanting to come off the pill, but what then?!

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Wanting to come off the pill, but what then?!

Postby Josie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:37 am

Hi, I've been on here for another problem recently, and I've decided I want to come off all drug-type things for a while, to get to my full health again. I am weaning myself off anti-depressants, and I want to come off the pill too. I feel I haven't gotten back to my own self again since I had my twins this time last year, and I really want to work on feeling 100% again. However, last time I came off the pill I immediately got pregnant! And I don't like the idea of any other type of contraception. We don't like condoms, and anything else is so intrusive on my system. Maybe I have no other option, but I really don't want to be on the pill long-term. What does everyone else do (long-term) that you might recommend? I might end up staying on it but I'd really like to hear from other people about what's best for them, so I can understand more about other types of prevention! I really, really, really don't want to get pregnant again, probably EVER! so whatever it is has to be 100000000% effective!!!!
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Wanting to come off the pill, but what then?!

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:13 am

Either use a condom or you stay on the pill. There are many other options that you can do - there is the coil, the femidom the implant. Ask at a local centre what they can advise.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Wanting to come off the pill, but what then?!

Postby snail » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:14 pm

The IUD is effective and drug-free. But if you have heavy periods and can't have the IUD, the version of the IUD called the Mirena may be an option. There are drugs (hormones) involved in this but a very small amount, and they don't really get absorbed into your system, they stay localised. It is also about 10 times more effective than the normal IUD for this reason. See here:
http://www.womens-health.co.uk/mirena.asp
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Physical