Passing out

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Passing out

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:25 pm

I went into town earlier to do a bit of shopping, I popped into work to have a chat with some of my friends there and as I was talking I started feeling a bit sick. I ignored it initially but then I felt like I was going to actually be sick. I started feeling really dizzy and I could feel the blood draining from my cheeks and my vision started going blurry and I had grey spots in front of my eyes. My hearing went really muffled and I thought I was going to pass out. I can't even remember how long it went on for but it was really scary because nothing like that has ever happened to me before. I'm normally as fit as a fiddle, I've never even had the flu! So it was really horrible to feel like that, and I was so lucky I'd popped into work when it happened.

I'd just eaten lunch so it wasn't that I hadn't eaten or anything so I really don't know what it could be. I've been getting a lot of headaches recently and I put it down to stress and ignored it but now this has happened I'm a bit worried. I have been under a lot of stress recently so I thought it might all be related?

I'm thinking about going to see my GP tomorrow but I don't want to waste his time. Is it worth going for?
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Passing out

Postby snail » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:07 pm

Yes, I would go. It's probably nothing but doctors take fainting very seriously, as it obviously be dangerous (if you're driving, for example). I would make an appointment and see what the doc says.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks snail. I will go tomorrow and get to the bottom of it! If it was just that I'd not eaten enough or there was an obvious explanation I probably wouldn't bother, but you're right I don't want to be passing out whilst I'm driving!
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:43 am

Was it particularly hot where you were today? Sometimes hot temperatures can make people feel faint.
Good luck at the doctors.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:04 am

Hi crumpetsandtea,

i know you said you had just eaten, i was just wondering though if you had anything with sugar in it? because i suffer with Hypoglycemia and sometimes i stil feel faint even though ive eaten and thats because what i have eaten doesnt contain enough sugar in it.
the other idea that cropped up in my head would be low blood pressure?
if that is the case you should definately get yourself to the docs as low blood pressure is quite dangerous.
hope it goes well for you at the docs, please let us know how you get on.
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:12 am

My suggestions were: Was it hot and had you eaten anything with sugar or salt in it? As other people had suggested.

I get dizzy quite often (ok not that often) and if I feel myself begining to feel any of the effects I sit down, get a drink and either eat some cake/chocolate or crisps...sometimes for me it's salt and other times its sugar. I used to be able to tell if it was sugar or salt - it was just a feeling but it worked. I also have trouble if I stand up for a long time; I can't stand still for more than about a minute without feeling ill - I can stand up so long as I move or jiggle around. If you'd been on your feet all day as well it may have been a factor, did you have a drink with your dinner? I also can't have a hot shower; the amount of times I've felt so ill in the shower and had to blast the cold or get out and either sit of lie down for a while...I also can't take baths if they are warm/hot. I think it may have just been a number of small things that added up for you.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby lovexo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:35 pm

This has happened to me as well, about four times now I think.
This has occured when I haven't been eating properly (I didn't eat much at all for several days & I had this problem)
& it happened before when I was really hot and I think I was nervous as well.
I would also like to know what causes this problem? :|
lovexo
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:39 pm

What causes it? It could be something stupid down to a shock or something serious like a medical condition. I also faint when I give blood but that for me is "shock" of feeling the needle because if I don't feel it I'm fine. The othertimes for me I put down to not eating the correct things.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:44 pm

It can be brought on by various things, but it's because enough blood isn't reaching your brain that you faint. It's your body's way of getting blood to the head that bit more quickly. Obviously if you're stood up, the heart has to pump the blood upwards towards the head, whereas if you're lying flat gravity can help it along the way. That's why it's best to slightly raise someone's legs if they've fainted; to aid the process of the blood getting back to the brain. I'm a first aider at work, that's how I know :)
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:46 pm

I couldn't get an appointment today my doctors are rubbish grrr! But I'll let you know what it is lovexo when I get to the bottom of it!

It was weird because I'd had lunch, I'd eaten breakfast, and I was a bit naughty and had a belgian bun. So salt, sugar and food-wise I was ok. I also wasn't dehydrated, I hadn't drank any less than I normally do. It was a warmish day but it wasn't hot and I hadn't been rushing about and it had never happened before and I felt fine all day.

earthchild, my manager at work said it could be low blood pressure too because she's had the name problem. Hopefully it'll just be one of those things and nothing too serious but its always worth checking I suppose. I don't want to be keeling over in the middle of tescos or in the car! haha!
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:53 am

RagDoll wrote:It can be brought on by various things, but it's because enough blood isn't reaching your brain that you faint. It's your body's way of getting blood to the head that bit more quickly. Obviously if you're stood up, the heart has to pump the blood upwards towards the head, whereas if you're lying flat gravity can help it along the way. That's why it's best to slightly raise someone's legs if they've fainted; to aid the process of the blood getting back to the brain. I'm a first aider at work, that's how I know :)

Lol you copy cat - so am I. Also I've had it done to me!

Just thought I'd add I remember at school we were having P.E and one of my friend fainted; she was standing at the back of the pitch (we were playing rounders) and she was talking - not running or anything, she hadn't ran) and she just passed out. So she wasn't running or doing exercise she was just standing, she said she felt fine before and fine afterwards and for her it was a one off thing.

The problem for you could have been that you'd been on your feet all day!
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Physical