I'm so afraid I might have M.E.

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I'm so afraid I might have M.E.

Postby Josie » Wed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Is it possib1e this cou1d be what is wrong with me? I have been on here 1ate1y for my prob1ems and I am sti11 not better. I am so afraid. I am crying my eyes out now as I type this, as I am so exhausted and worn out from having this mystery i11ness I've had for weeks. I am afraid for my re1ationship and my future. I have been fee1ing so so exhausted and worn out the 1ast 6 weeks or more. A few days ago I woke with an awfu1 backache which sti11 hasn't gone, and now I have aching shou1ders too. I fee1 1ightheaded/dizzy and sick a 1ot of the time, and fee1 comp1ete1y drained and incapab1e a11 the time. A 1ot of things have happened in my 1ife, so part of me thinks the trauma has caught up with me physica11y now, though I have been trying to cope with it menta11y for years. I am so so afraid I have M.E., as I have read up about it and the symptoms sounds so 1ike what I am suffering. I am just so frightened because my mother has a friend who has and she basica11y missed out on her entire 1ife and her kids growing up. She has to use a whee1chair. I cannot cope with just doing housework and dea1ing with my one-year-o1d twins. I keep fee1ing the need to 1ie down. Cou1d this be post-traumatic-stress disorder, or cou1d it be M.E., or any other ideas? I came off my anti-depressants and the pi11 because I wanted to see if either of those cou1d be causing this. I am at my wits' end. I am exhausted. I have been to the doc she says I am "probab1y just exhausted" -- i.e. she was no he1p. Went again and she said it might be an inner ear prob1em, and gave me tab1ets which did not he1p. I went to the homoeopath who has given me remedies and I have my fingers crossed they might he1p. Any advice for me? I need some.

PS I have a VERY hea1thy diet, never miss a mea1, a1ways hea1thy food, am off caffeine, don't over-do it on any type of food. I take vitamins and omega three and vitamin B comp1ex. I take care of my body. I usua11y get good exercise but haven't been getting much 1ate1y as I have been fee1ing so i11. I do not smoke. I get as much s1eep as I can at night, though the babies do wake me up many nights. Thank you for any responses.
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: I'm so afraid I might have M.E.

Postby rufio89 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:42 pm

Just carry on chasing it at the doctors if you're worried, but please stay away from online symptom checkers. You say you're tired with a headache and they say you've got a brain tumor!

Also, why are you using 1's instead of Ls?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Josie » Wed May 06, 2009 3:45 pm

Because my key for that 1etter is broken off!!! I have to get it fixed or hook up my other comp to the net!! I know it's annoying, I'm g1ad you cou1d read my post anyway! Thanks for your rep1y, you have cheered me a 1itt1e, yes I do need to stay away from the net when typing in symptoms or comparing myse1f to them! It's just it sounded so 1ike me at the moment. But I am hoping what I have is not too 1ong-term. I wi11 go back to doc on fri and see what she says.
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby rufio89 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:49 pm

Im awful for checking symptoms, but I just convince myself its nothing. I looked up why Im always thirsty and it said I have diabetes and I freaked out and went to the doctor.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby caren » Wed May 06, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi josie,

I would recommend that you keep going to the doctor for as long as it takes for them to give you a diagnosis. My aunt was complaining of feeling very unwell for months, kept getting fobbed off by her doctor, she felt that she wasnt being taken seriously as she has a history of depression and her doctor was suggesting that her symptoms were just stress related, but she insisted on having blood tests done and turned out she had TB. Doctor couldnt believe it as its so uncommon.
Not suggesting for a second that thats what you have, my point is, keep at your doctor until you get some answers and be firm about it.
caren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby rufio89 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:21 pm

turned out she had TB

My brother had TB. First time he went to the doctor and complained of chest pains, coughing etc they have him some gaviscon.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby caren » Wed May 06, 2009 4:30 pm

My brother had TB.

not as uncommon as i thought so! i often think that doctors in general practice can often miss picking up on problems that arent run of the mill. i suppose their medical knowledge is so general its not reasonable to expect them to be experts at diagnosing unless its a common problem. But gaviscon!
caren
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu May 07, 2009 9:11 am

caren wrote:
My brother had TB.

not as uncommon as i thought so! i often think that doctors in general practice can often miss picking up on problems that arent run of the mill.

That is exactly it, they don't pick up on it because it's not a majorly common thing anymore, plus you have to understand from their point of view as well that there are hundreds of things it could be, millions even.

I once had a extremely strange rash when I was little, we went to the doctors and in all of his years of practicing he hadn't seen anything like it, he said that he vaguelly remembers seeing a picture of it in one of his books, he looked in the book said I think it's that, however I've not seen it and ONE doctor in the entire surgery had seen it (it was huge surgery) and he came in looked and said yes thats what it is. The point is TB is classed as an old illness, it's not common anymore so it's probably not the first thing they think of, they have to try and eliminate the easily treatable things first.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu May 07, 2009 9:30 am

i think you may be suffering from post natal dpression
Have you talked to your health visitor she may be more helpful
Also go to a different doctor if you feel you are not getting support/help from this one
However you could well just be exhasuted
Can anyone take the babies for a couple of days to give you a complete break and rest to see if that helps
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Thu May 07, 2009 9:33 am

As the others have said, I think you need to go back to your doctors if you're continuely not feeling very well. I would also add that you shouldn't under-estimate the effect exhaustion has on your body. I feel horrible if I haven't had enough sleep so I can't imagine how I'd feel if I was in your shoes, looking after twins.

I also wanted to say that my friend had M.E. (please don't think the worst though - I'm sure you don't have it) - she did have to drop out of uni and basically take life at a much slower pace for a while, but she is fit and well again now after three years or so, hence it is possible to overcome it and feel 100% again. She's working full-time and is loving every minute of it at the moment!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu May 07, 2009 9:36 am

Bel Bel wrote:i think you may be suffering from post natal dpression

I agree and it's been mentioned on previous posts that Josie has written.

I think Josie should go back to the doctors and say "my friend suggested I may have post natal depression"...

Also I agree with Ragdoll, a few nights sleep isn't going to beat the exhaustion, it's a long term thing, it won't be cured quickly or instantly.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Josie » Thu May 07, 2009 9:52 am

Thank you all so so much for your replies to my post, I really appreciate it. Yes I have had post-natal depression (and am prone to depression in general, having been through a lot and having suffered depression and anorexia throughout adolescence) but I am over that now and believe it or not would actually be in great form if it weren't for feeling so physically awful. I was on anti-depressants AND I've had counselling since the babies were born; I've stopped attending for a while as I felt I had taken it as far as I needed to at the time, but I may return to it soon. Yes, having thought longer on this I think I may have been looking too hard for a 'label' to pin on this mystery illness of mine, and that I probably am suffering from nervous exhaustion. I have been to the homoeopath and she has given me remedies to take long-term, so hopefully these will help. I hope I do not have M.E., and thanks for saying that you doubt I do have it, I am sure I just need to be positive and beat it over time. I am going to the doctor tomorrow so I will make sure she does more tests and I won't just be fobbed off! Thanks to all of you so much for your helpful responses and your time. xxx I'll let you know how I get on xxx
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby m_m » Thu May 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Josie wrote:I am sure I just need to be positive and beat it over time. I am going to the doctor tomorrow so I will make sure she does more tests and I won't just be fobbed off!

I agree with everyone else, I think this is the best course of action.

Have you got anyone who could take the twins off your hands for a day or just an afternoon or evening even? If so, take some time to yourself (not to catch up on housework etc!) and visit a spa, have a long hot bath with oils and then a nice nap, go to a resturant with your partner - I'm sure you get the idea :D I know this isn't a long term solution but hopefully it'll make you feel better and more positive.

Also, like everyone else has said, really hassle your Doctor and make sure she listens to you as you obviously cannot go on like this.

Good luck!

x
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby earthchild » Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Hey Josie,

i just wanted to add that M.E sufferers when at their worst can not even get out of bed or hold a cup of tea, so as you have been suffering with these symptoms for a few weeks and still being able to look after your babies i really doubt you have M.E.
I agree with the others, it sounds like you are suffering from exhaustion.
are you seeing the same doctor all the time? is there another one you can see for a second opinion?
if you are really unsatisfied with your doctors maybe you can change it ?
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Josie » Tue May 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks so much to everyone who replied to my question; I think I was getting myself into a twist with anxiety and worry over what might have been wrong with me: Thankfully, two days ago, I got up and felt better! I was so, so relieved, I think it must have been the homoeopathic remedies that worked, or whatever it was passed on its own. I was feeling so bad, that nothing was enjoyable any more, and it had been going on for weeks so it kind of felt as though I would never get better. But thank god, although I am not 100%, I am miles better than I was. I am so grateful to everyone who answered my questions here and helped me not to worry too much! xxx
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Next

Return to Physical