Safe?

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Safe?

Postby Josie » Thu May 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Do you think condoms are a safe enough form of contraception in the long-term? My doctor said they weren't, but I hate the pill; it completely lowers my sex-drive. The whole idea of the pill and what is does is off-putting to me. I would rather not be on it long-term. I have come off it a couple of weeks ago, to give myself a break (haha, last time I did that I got preg with twins! but obviously this time I'll be more careful!)
Also, can people get pregnant from bum-sex?! (Sorry if that question is tmi!)
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Safe?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu May 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi Josie!

If used correctly condoms can be a really effective form of contraception, and accidents involving them slipping off or breaking are very rare as long as they are the right size, put on correctly and well lubricated. Unfortunately, like anything, human error can muck things up and its always good to have a 'back up plan' such as the pill, in case one form of contraception fails.

Personally, I prefer being on the pill because I feel a lot more in control.

If the pill doesn't agree with you, have you tried the mini-pill? As far as I'm aware it contains a lower hormone dosage, and as a result side effects such as mood-swings or lack of libido are reduced.

As far as bum sex goes, you can't get pregnant from the sperm being in that 'passage', but there is always the risk of some of it leaking and going into your vagina.

Hope that helps!

Have a word with your doctor about going on a lower dosage pill if you find it is affecting your sex drive.
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Thu May 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Hi Josie,

Has your doctor told you about the coil? There are two types, one that has a hormonal component, and one without. Obviously it means you have to have it fitted inside your womb, and that idea does not suit me at all. But it could work for you, and be a better alternative to just condoms. Have a look at www.fpa.org.uk. as they have lots of advice, possibly a bit more helpful then your doctor..

Alice
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 15, 2009 9:21 am

You could always enquire about the implant.

The best thing to do is to go and speak to your doctor, as they can advise you better, and recommend what might work for you better than we can.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Fri May 15, 2009 10:46 am

The implant is a lot of hormones again, though. I think the coil might be a good idea.

My doctor said the same thing about condoms: the general feeling is that their failure rate is unacceptably high now that we have so many things that are better. However, I think what is and what isn't acceptable depends on the person and the relationship. I would be happy with condoms in a settled relationship, where if a pregnancy occurred, it wasn't the end of the world.

EDIT: By the way, if you do get pregnant from anal sex, Josie, medical science will want to hear about it! :o
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LemonJuice87 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:44 pm

The Implant is awesome! Ive had it for just over a month now, and i can honestly say "Why didnt someone tell me about this sooner!!!!!!"

You dont have to worry about remembering to take a pill everyday, you dont have to worry about the un-sexyness and the little break of having to put a condom on. And it stops you getting pregnant for three years.
Yeah alright it's full of hormones been pumped around your body constantly, so yeah you will get a bit tetchy, As Mr. LemonJuice will confirm. But i would rather that than the moodyness i had when i was pregnant. Lol.

Plus my doctor said to me my periods will either be irregular, light spotting every month or nothing at all. And so far, i havnt had my period yet.

I woudl recomend the Impant to anyone who hates the pill. I hated it and will never go back.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Fri May 15, 2009 2:50 pm

How long have you been on the implant Lemonjuice? I was on it for 5 months, the first 3 months were fine, then I got moody, miserable, and fed up- and had non stop spotting for 3 weeks.

I still think that if Josie wants a non hormonal contraceptive the coil would be her best option.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 15, 2009 2:54 pm

alicat wrote:How long have you been on the implant Lemonjuice?

LemonJuice87 wrote:The Implant is awesome! Ive had it for just over a month now
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Fri May 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Oops :oops: serves me right for scan reading...
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby earthchild » Fri May 15, 2009 4:39 pm

alicat wrote:I still think that if Josie wants a non hormonal contraceptive the coil would be her best option.

im guessing theres more than one type of coil?
because my mum had one put in to help dissolve her fybroids, her coil releases hormones to do this.
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Fri May 15, 2009 4:58 pm

alicat wrote: There are two types, one that has a hormonal component, and one without.

The one with a hormonal counterpart is similar to the implant. It is progesterone based. I have had lots of talks with different sexual health nurses at my clinic, and given tons of leaflets- as they wanted me to come off depo provera, which is why I have so much knowledge. :)
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby LemonJuice87 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:22 pm

To be honest, i am moody and misrable. But wether thats down to current circumstance's or the Implant, I couldnt tell you yet lol.

I like it so far, its only been a month, but its easier.

Just no babies for three years :( Lol
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Josie » Sat May 16, 2009 8:27 am

Hi thanks so much all for your comments!!! I know you can't actually get pregnant from the act of 'bum sex', but I worry about those devious little sperms and their enthusiasm!! I seem to get pregnant VERRRY easily, and since I've had multiples I don't want to risk that again!!!! Like one of you said, I was worried about those juices and, er, 'drippage'!!! (Sorry if all this is tmi!!! Maybe I shouldn't be talking about this here?! I'd better read those rules again!) I guess I just have to be reeeally careful... As far as condoms go, I'll probably stick to them for the moment and then change to something else soon. Thanks for all the suggestions: I don't like the idea of the coil though, and I have heard too many bad things about it unfortunately. Like you, alicat, the idea of it doesn't suit me at all either... Unfortunately I know there is no perfect contraception!! When will they invent something for fellas to take?!?! Enough of us women barraging our bodies with hormonal cocktails!!! Thanks all xxx
Josie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Skarlet » Sat May 16, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Josie,

Actually they have been developing male contraceptives- scientists in china have developed an injection for men, that prevents the production of sperm. Don't know how long that will be til its available. Although apparently it can cause agressiveness in guys. How many kinds of pill have you tried, because different one have different levels of the hormones, which might affect you less. Cerazette is a mini-pill, although it is a stronger dose progesterone. You have to take it everyday- with no breaks- but it might work for you. The cap can be used as well, but its protection rating isn't as high as condoms- but you can use it with spermicide.. Other then that there is also the rhythm method, but that means only have sex at particular points in your cycle. I have had lots of problems with contraception, I was really happy with the injection, but you arent allowed to have it for more then two years at a time.

Alice
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon May 18, 2009 9:46 am

Josie wrote:When will they invent something for fellas to take?!?! Enough of us women barraging our bodies with hormonal cocktails!!!

I agree, I don't actually know if I'd trust my boyfriend to remember take a tablet every day. At least if I'm doing it and it goes wrong then it's my fault. But I suppose guys put a lot of trust in girls for the same thing.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to Physical