sunburn

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

sunburn

Postby kerrie24 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:06 am

Ok yesterday we were out for the day and despite putting suncream on 5 times throughout the day I have burnt quite badly on my shoulders and chest.I have tried aftersun and its nice when you put it on but it wears off quickly,so I was wondering does anyone know of any secret miracle cures for the sting?Also is there anything to turn it brown rather than red?Should I avoid the sun alltogether today or go out with more cream on?thanks
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: sunburn

Postby Skarlet » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:14 am

Don't go out in the sun, it will make it worse. Your skin has burned, so will need time to heal before sunning yourself again. A cold shower might help to take the burn out- and a moisturising aftersun applied several times a day after will help to stop the peel.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby kerrie24 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:21 am

Ok thanks,its not peeling so far,just burning,fingers crossed.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:29 am

Nothing will make it turn brown rather than red. It's your skin type which determines that, just as some people go red, some people go red then brown, some go brown, some don't tan.

A cold shower would definately help the sting a bit. I'd just keep putting your after sun on, if you go out try and over yourself up until the stinging has gone down. You could put your after sun in the fridge if you don't, it'll be far more "cooling" when you put it on.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 am

I agree with the above.

If it's really bad, you could try putting camomile lotion on to soothe it, though it dries whiteish so it won't look that great. If it's hurting though, it'll be worth it!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby kerrie24 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 pm

I hadnt thought of cammomile lotion,I think Iv got some somewhere.... might hunt it out then have a cool shower and put it on.Just hope i remember to wash it off before I go out later!thanks for the replies
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:25 pm

Aloe vera gel is amazing stuff. Banana boat does some, think you'll find it in boats
It has natural healing properties
Perhaps you need to put a stronger factor on in the first place
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:33 pm

on the subject of suntan i think you should all read about the little stars on the back of the bottle. Tesco is definately a 5 star suncream, nivea and ambra solair are not.

Read on:-

What's the difference between UVA and UVB rays?

UVB rays burn the topmost layer of skin, causing sunburn and cell damage than can lead to cancerous changes.

Sun protection factor (SPF) measures the strength of a cream's sun filter against UVB rays.

Sunscreens with a high SPF factor allow you to stay in the sun for longer, but this means you are exposed to more UVA rays.

UVA rays don't burn, but penetrate deep into the skin. They are responsible for cell damage that contributes to ageing and skin cancer.

UVA stars

Five stars gives 90 per cent of the UVB protection.
Four stars is 80 per cent.
Three stars gives 60 per cent.
Two stars is 40 per cent.
One star is 20 per cent.

UVA stars indicate the strength of a cream's protection against UVA rays in relation to its UVB protection.

This means the higher the SPF, the more UVA protection is needed to achieve the same amount of stars.

So an SPF 30 sunscreen with three stars will have more UVA protection than an SPF 15 sunscreen with four stars.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby kerrie24 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:54 pm

thanks bel bel i will look at that in future
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:46 pm

I can't believe I forgot to say Aloe Vera (I have one growing in the kitchen window)...Bel Bel said it at least, anything with Aloe Vera in it should be good for your skin. Aloe is very good for burns and skin problems.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby jen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:27 pm

This is going to sound weird but i've only ever burnt once when i went to crete a few years ago and one of the local shop owners told me to put the aftersun back and to use natural yoghurt. I thought it sounded weird but believe it or not it actually does work. My ex and i ended up sitting around with yoghurt smeared all over ourselves but it did help..honest!
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby kerrie24 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:31 am

I managed to get hold of some aloe vera gel then I put on the kids johnsons baby factor 50 before I went back out and its much better today.Iv been checking all the stars on my creams before I take them on holiday aswell just to be sure.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Physical