Exercises

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Exercises

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:49 am

Ok since Ragdoll and Captain_flynn have been talking about gyms and I'm feeling a bit podgy at the minute, I'm wondering can anyone recommend any "enjoyable" exercises that I don't need a gym for.

We used to have a rowing machine at home and I loved that but we don't have it anymore.

I have just given my bike a face lift so it's ready to be used, although we live in the middle of a hill so no matter where you go there is a bit uphill section. I'm looking for running trainers but I couldn't find any decently priced ones when I was looking in winter. I'm not a distance runner but I figured running around the block, then increasing it and running around it twice and further would be a good way to "train" myself into it - my only issue is I get so out of breath in summer with hayfever (even with taking stuff for it).

So can anyone recommend any exercises they enjoy or don't mind doing that can be done "at home" i.e. without the use of gym equipment?
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Exercises

Postby RagDoll » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:11 am

Feeling a bit podgy?! I was only thinking the other day how slim you are (and how envious I am) having looked at your photos in the 'chit chat' forum :P

Well you can always buy yourself a workout DVD to do at home, though I've never been into them myself.

I go to a fitness class called Sculpt and Shape each week and most of the exercises in that could easily be done at home. We do the usual sit ups, push ups etc. but we also do some pilates inspired moves. I'm sure if you google pilates it will come up with some exercises to do. Alternatively you could buy yourself a pilates book/DVD.

Hope this helps!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:17 am

PS: Also just thought of something else... going for a brisk walk is good exercise too. You and your boyfriend could easily do that and it's pretty enjoyable if you do it in nice countryside. Even better if it incorporates some sort of climb/large hill as that really burns calories.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:45 am

What about joining a salsa class - really good for clarie burning

swimming at an indoor pool will sort the hayfever issue

you can always walk the bike up the hill if it puts you off the ride
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:15 am

RagDoll wrote:going for a brisk walk is good exercise too

I brisk walk any time I walk anyway...my poor mam has to run to keep up with me and my dad if the 3 of us are out.

Suprisingly Bel Bel I looked at dance classes close by, there is a dance centre a few streets away from my boyfriend and one in the centre of us both; I quite fancied joining one of those, my bf said he'd like to learn to dance, so I sent him the links of a few places. The one up by him did a salsa class (no partner required) so I could join on my own; it's just deciding what I want...they did do egyptian dancing and other weird ones too.

I used to go swimming twice a week but with friends, it's no fun going alone as such. Although I am thinking of going again - I stopped because one of the pools had a lot of trouble with it "closed for no heating", "we have no hot water", "closed because we can" - it was just closed too much; although it was open when it had no hot water, and the other pool I used to go to had lines of elderly women talking and swimming so you got stuck behind them GRR.

I guess I'll look into one of the 10million gyms close by for classes too, I think ONE gym just allows you to go to the classes with out joining, but I think most of their classes are on stupidly early or stupidly late.

I just want to "get fit" rather than loose weight.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:21 am

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:I guess I'll look into one of the 10million gyms close by for classes too, I think ONE gym just allows you to go to the classes with out joining, but I think most of their classes are on stupidly early or stupidly late.

Do you not have Council owned gyms/fitness centres? You can just pay for classes (and they have quite a good range) at the Council ones where I live. Plus, they're on all day and evening, so you can go after work.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby kerrie24 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:23 am

Iv just started doing aquafit its really fun as I go with a couple of friends and its a set routine rather than just swimming laps its not so boring.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:30 am

Oh aquafit, that is a point, I went with my friend once, but the class was cancelled that one time...so she didn't want to go back - it didn't seem very organised. I might see about doing it somewhere else close by - I think I'd enjoy that.

RagDoll wrote:Do you not have Council owned gyms/fitness centres? You can just pay for classes (and they have quite a good range) at the Council ones where I live. Plus, they're on all day and evening, so you can go after work.

I don't know to be honest, we have one which isn't a chain, which I think you can just attend the classes. It's in the middle of a huge council area so I'd assume it'll be better for payment to each class rather than a "fee to join". I'd rather pay to go as and when I want, most of the gyms are £50 a month, the sessions to go to the gym are £5 a session of the none chain one I think was £3.50, I'd rather go once a week and pay rather than pay £50 a month and still only go once a month.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:52 am

If you're interested look on your Council's website - there will be some info on there. The fitness class I go to is at a Council sports centre and it costs me £3.10 each time I go. I don't have to be a member or anything.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:18 am

RagDoll wrote:If you're interested look on your Council's website - there will be some info on there. The fitness class I go to is at a Council sports centre and it costs me £3.10 each time I go. I don't have to be a member or anything.

Brillaint thanks :) I'll look later or tomorrow at the site...you need a couple of degrees and a few hours to navigate around our council site.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:36 am

I think aquafit is what my mum does with her friend. They go to the leisure center about 3 or 4 times a week and do 2 aquafit sessions and 2 gym sessions a week.

Once you're all fit I want you to remember that it was me and ragdoll that first got you fired up to become all fit and healthy :D :P
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:34 am

captain_flynn wrote:Once you're all fit I want you to remember that it was me and ragdoll that first got you fired up to become all fit and healthy :D :P

Well I have been looking for decent trainers all winter to start me up...but that doesn't count eh, captain_flynn and ragdoll are to thank :)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Physical