Weight loss, portion control and boredom!

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Weight loss, portion control and boredom!

Postby RagDoll » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:13 am

Raaah! I can't seem to lose weight. It's my fault because I just seem to lack the will power to do it, then I feel guilty and like I've let myself down, then I feel miserable and think s0d it, I'm not THAT fat and comfort eat. I know it sounds pathetic because it SHOULD be easy to just cut back a bit, but I find it really difficult. I really think I have an addictive personality as I can't seem to help myself when it comes to food and shopping for clothes! I know they sound like such trivial problems (and in the grand scheme of things, I guess they are) but sometimes I scare myself as I just don't seem to have any will power/control over my spending/eating!

Can anyone relate or give me any advice please?

One of the problems re: losing weight is that my boyfriend and I (particularly him) are fussy eaters, so when I try and think of a healthy and tasty evening meal we can make ourselves, I really struggle. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks guys!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:01 am

I also lack the will power to do it; although I seem to have lost about 4 pounds (yay). It doesn't help when you sit at work all day.

If you want say chocolate; say I'll have half now and half tomorrow (that way you can have it 2 days in a row rather than eating it all at once). My downfall is crisps, we also have 3 sandwich vans which visit work; the last one comes around now actually and I'm always hungry now and they do the nicest muffins EVER; and I've had to FORCE myself not to eat them - and I haven't, the first few weeks were hard; now it isn't. Substitute rubbish snacks for cereal bars or fruits; even a mix of nuts and fruits or dried fruits.

You can still eat the same kind of things, but eat less of it. My boyfriend has stopped giving me his sized portions (at least a HUGE mans portion); he is also eating less. I really love curry; we have the indian food made easy book and whilst they aren't "too healthy" it means you can have a super tasty meal and it's not too unhealthy. You can keep eating what you do now; just reduce your portions. On weekends make a point of going for a 30min-1hr brisk walk; it't not too hard - you can always brisk walk around shops haha. The brisk walk at least will be better than doing nothing.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks Dipsy.

I know exactly what you mean about being sat at work, it certainly doesn't help you lose weight being sat on your bum all day and we also have a 'trolley' that comes around about 10-11am with tempting treats! Plus, someone in our office has usually baked/brought something in, so there's always cakes etc. to eat. Having said that, I find it hardest to be good on an evening, I can usually resist whilst I'm at work.

With regards to walking, I already do a fair amount of it really, I walk to and from work every day and my boyfriend and I usually go for a proper walk at the weekend.

As I said, my main problem is on an evening, I find it really difficult as my boyfriend is a skinny minny and can eat all the rubbish he wants without putting on weight. Plus, the range of stuff we can eat together is so small that if I cut out all the bad stuff we usually eat, we'd probably be left with 2 meals or something ridiculous which we can both have! :(
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:26 pm

have you tired paul mckenna "i can make you thin" it orks on the basis you must not deny yourself anything because thats what makes you wnat more as you are getting in a stae of mind that you have to go without
You can get it with a hypnosis cd with it too that apparently helps get your mind in the right place
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Never tried anything like that, because, quite frankly, I don't really believe in it. I respect the fact some people do, but I'm so cynical that I just think it's rubbish really, so I don't think it'd work with me.

Any low-fat, healthy recipe ideas would be fab though???
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Skarlet » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:14 pm

what sort of things does he not like?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby RagDoll » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:27 pm

What does he like? lol...

He doesn't like:

- 'strange' textures e.g. moose, porridge, custard
- fruit sauces
- nuts

We both don't like:

- many types of fish, though I could probably do with trying some more
- hot/spicy food

I can't think of anything else off hand, though I know there are things!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Skarlet » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:35 pm

what sort of things do you normally eat? how long do you have to cook in the evening?

I tend to do a lot of pasta, been trying different types of food, like stuffed chicken breasts with potatos, and veges.

i take it if he doesn't like custard, that he doesn't like white sauce, or cheese sauce?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby RagDoll » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Yeh, we eat a lot of pasta too. Nearly every meal we have is based around pasta.

He does like white sauce/cheese sauce, though anything with cheese in it is usually very high in fat!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Skarlet » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:02 pm

yeh, the best thing to do is use a really strong cheese, and cut down on the amount. well thats my theory anyway. I always bulk my sauces out with lots of vegetables, like peppers, carrot, celery, mushrooms as well as the meat. I sometimes go to www.channel4.com/food and look at the cook yourself thin recipes, they have goodideas to make normal everyday food a bit lower in fat.

this is a vegetarian recipe blog i go to, http://www.101cookbooks.com might have some ideas you can use, to change up your meals, and also get a bit healthier.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Millenia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:17 pm

I think what people have to remember is that pasta/rice etc - good for you....ONLY if you can burn it off like everything else. If your having dinners that have pasta in them all the time and doing nothing to burn it off you WILL put on weight.

Carbs include sugar as well, the only difference is that sugar is the first to get burned off, pasta, rice etc gets stored in the body releasing energy slowly. It's why the Atkins diet works as your not eating any storage foods (although can give you severe heart problems and bad breath).

Look at the calorie intake of things. A picnic bar has 250 cals in it. A milky way has 100.....i can still eat chocolate and not feel bad about it.

As much as you change your food habit, there is nothing better than exercise. It's gets everything working: you sleep better, feel more energetic, helps decrease health problems like high bp etc....Start by even going for a walk, weight bearing training is really good for women to help with bone density.

Millenia
Millenia
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby everloney » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:10 pm

Hey millenia i have some questions. I think you are right that excerise is important but i feel i do alot of it and im still a huge size 16 and i weigh like 190 pounds. oh the shame of it. So exercise wise i go to karate twice a week and i do an hour a time, its a sweaty class and i go a beautiful shade of red... (another question later...) i also ride to and from work 5 days a week. Its 4 miles in total (round trip) and involves a few hills. I then also hit the gym twice a week, where i do 30 mins cardio, running or something and then weight training for another hour. I rotate between legs and arms and i always do abs.

I have been excerising for about 4 years now, sometimes i will do less and sometimes i do more. I don't feel like i am getting any fitter, i am not finding training easier and i still go bright red from exercise and i am not losing weight...

I figure i must eat the wrong things, its prob not too much food just bad food, i like sweets. So now i have started to record my food and exercise in a hope this will help. I really want to not be going red in karate, i think everyone thinks i get red because im fat and unfit... :( makes me sad...

also i am tired all the time and yawn alot...
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 am

RagDoll wrote:Yeh, we eat a lot of pasta too. Nearly every meal we have is based around pasta

I was told that pasta is worse than rice as it has different "stuff" in it and unless you exercise rice is better for you.

Personally I don't like pasta but I do eat a lot of rice. My boyfriend makes nice rice too.

If you are both fussy eaters ragdoll, start to introduce a little of what you don't like into each meal; try it in different ways - my boyfriend hated potatoes. Now he can't get enough of them; I like them so he's been forced to eat them and I've tried cooking them in different ways until we've found something he likes.

everloney wrote: i think everyone thinks i get red because im fat and unfit...

I doubt people think that; I used to go to tae-kwondo and my instructor was overweight; however I wouldn't dare use the word unfit on him. He was VERY fit; it doesn't matter on your size, skinny people are not fit because they are skinny; I have friends who can't walk 2 minutes without needing to sit down and they are skinny. I have "larger" friends who could quite happily run a marathon (one ran a half marathon actually) and he's fit. Everyone goes red when they exercise because the blood flows more, you get hot, blood vessels rise to the surface which causes you to sweat and cool down. I played netball and at the end of every game everyone would be bright red in the face but most people were very fit.

everloney wrote:also i am tired all the time and yawn alot...

Do you get enough sleep? If you do sleep for 8-9 hours a night try sleeping an extra half hour, do you have a sleeping routine. If you are tired all the time you might have a low iron content, you may need to take iron tablets for a few months to see if it makes a difference.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Millenia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Hey Everloney,

First of all, you mentioned your a huge size 16. Why do you think your huge? Im a size 14 at the moment and the only thing i want to do is eat better as i eat too much rubbish and have a flatter stomach.

I wanted to get rid of my hips so badly i ended up just staving myself and when i ended up being 6 stone did my hips change? NO because that's the way im built. You have to look at your body image and be honest with yourself, what is your shape? Im a pear, small on top, big hips.

If you do a lot of working out, you say karate twice a week which is awesome, but you go to the gym where you do 30mins cardio then an hour weight training. Remember that because you are weight training, that weight won;t fall off you it will be turning into muscle. My own opinion is that if you want to loose quite a lot of weight say someone is 16 stone and wants to loose 2 stone, i wouldn't recommend a lot of weight training. Remember muscle weighs more than fat so i would go on clothes size rather than measuring yourself on the scales.

How much sweets do you eat? I have a really bad sweet tooth, but i learned that if i carry with me a banana and i buy aplen light bars that seems to take away my sweet tooth for a good while. I do of course have chocolate but i just don't have it every day anymore.

Now! your red face, my body temperature naturally is higher than other peoples. Like a good example was today, it was freezing and pouring with rain, i had a tshirt and a rain coat on top of me. By the time i got to university my face was beaming red and i was sweaty. It's annoying but it's that or i wear a tshirt and catch the cold every 5 minutes.
Your body needs oxygen and when you workout you produce more of it, hence having a red face. It's not a bad thing, and to be honest if i saw a large woman doing karate (and i dont think your big i mean maybe a size 22 and up) i would think 'hey at least shes doing something about it'.

If you eat too much sugar as well, your body could constantly crash which will make you really tired and irritable, your body gets used to you eating this amount of sugar so i would be careful when you try to cut down. Do it steps at a time, its not uncommon for people to get headaches as there body doesn't know what to do when your not feeding it sugar all the time.

If you really feel that you are eating ok, not enough to be gaining weight with your exercise too, then go and see your gp as it could be an under active thyroid gland.

Any more questions fire away! It helps me with my nutrition in nursing practice

Millenia!
Millenia
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi all,

As many of you will know from me moaning on about wanting to be slimmer in various posts for the last year or so (ha!), it's something which I really want to do and which really bothers me. I'm doing Slimming World at the moment - I lost 5 pounds last week and I'm getting weighed again tonight, so I hope I've lost some weight again this week (doubt it will be as much as that tho).

I think I just need some words of encouragement as I am beginning to feel like this is some sort of never ending battle that I'm going to find hard to stick to until I am back to being happy with my weight. I know I don't have as much to lose as some people, but it just feels like I am never going to get there. I find it ok for a month or so, but beyond that, I find it really hard to keep going. I know that's pathetic, but I absolutely love my food, well, it's more than that - I use it as an emotional crutch I think. When I am feeling down/had a stressed out day, or even if I want to reward myself for something, I used to turn to food.

Any words of encouragement would be great as I am feeling a bit down about the whole thing - I hate the idea of this going on for months and months even though I know the reward will be worth it.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

PreviousNext

Return to Physical