irregular cycles after pill/ day 50 still no sign!!

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

irregular cycles after pill/ day 50 still no sign!!

Postby innocent » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:40 pm

i came off the pill (microgynon) in november as my pelvic area felt extremley congested and crampy all month round, not to mention my depression and mood swings.
i decided to take a break from all contraceptives and just use condoms as a method until my cycles returned to normal as i was worried about the effects the pill was having on my reproductive system (because of the pains i got it into my head i was doing damage and it just didn't 'feel right'.)

this has all been fine, this month however we had a little 'accident' where the method failed. the chances of me getting pregnant from this i think is low- i know it only takes one but only a little got in so i think chances are lower than if we had used nothing.

anyways...

my periods have not been regular since coming off the pill some cycles lasting just 25 days, some 34 days.
at the minute i'm on day 50 of my cycle!!!!! with no sign of it.

i've taken a pregnancy test and it was negative i have no symptoms of pregnancy or period..

1) has anyone had a pregnancy where it was undetected for a while?
2) can anyone tell me how long it took there cycles to become regular after using the pill?
3) do you think there is something wrong with me?
i read about polysystic ovaries and i don't match any of the symptoms other than irregular periods.
Alis Grave Nil- Nothing is heavy to those who have wings.
innocent
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: irregular cycles after pill/ day 50 still no sign!!

Postby kerrie24 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 pm

I dont think you should start worrying just yet,its VERY common for your periods to go completely beserk when you come off the pill.A pregnancy test would of shown up by now if that was it.Take another one if nothing has happened in a week or so to make doubly sure incase you tested too early first time.Try not and worry about it too much cos stress can stop them too.I dont think there is anything wrong with you though,my sister came off her pill in november,had a normal period,then nothing till march.Now shes back to normal again.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:47 am

I remember reading ages ago that as a general rule of thumb, for each year you were taking the pill it takes the same number of months to return to normal. I think I also read that for some women it can take up to 3 years to be 'normal' again.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:52 am

If that's right, that means it would take me up to 8 months if I came off the pill for it to return to normal, that's a bit scary in a way :-?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:38 am

I was on the pill for 17 years: it took me over a year to get back to normal. Even after the timing of my periods had settled, the volume of blood lost each time took much longer to go back to normal (they settled into a regular monthly pattern after about 6 months but I had very heavy periods for about the first 14 months).
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:15 pm

sorry to sort of hijack this thread - I'll shut up once I've asked this (it is related), but just curious to know if people have felt better emotionally since since coming off the pill? I have been on it since I was 16 with only a couple of months break somewhere in the middle and sometimes wonder if I would generally feel better for not being on it?
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:06 pm

When I came off the Pill my eyes became more comfortable (the Pill can dry out your eyes in some people, it's in the leaflet under 'decreased tolerance of contact lenses' I think, but my eyes became more comfortable both with and without contact lenses), and my periods became heavier (even once they settled - but that's to be expected because the bleeds you get on the Pill aren't true periods).

I noticed no other changes at all, to anything. I was expecting to possibly get more greasy skin and smaller breasts, but thankfully that didn't happen. No change to my mental state.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:10 pm

I felt 100% better after coming off the pill.

I felt like a normal human being for a while.

Then went on the Implant and turned into a loony bird again lol.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby innocent » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:18 pm

to ragdoll:

i had depression whilst on the pill- i had no actual cause for it as everything in my life was fine. i tried anti depressants which didn't really work. when i came off the pill i noticed a change in my mood almost straight away. i'm now 'fine'.

thanks guys!! it doesn't really say online how long it takes, was just wanting an estimate to know whether to go to the doctors or not but i think ill give it until november and that way i'll have been off it a year. i think i was on it for around 2 years and they wern't that regular before anyways.

i think periods are unregular for young people and i guess because i started mine late (when i was nearly 16) (now nearly 20) its still early days.
Alis Grave Nil- Nothing is heavy to those who have wings.
innocent
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 am

snail wrote:When I came off the Pill my eyes became more comfortable (the Pill can dry out your eyes in some people, it's in the leaflet under 'decreased tolerance of contact lenses' I think

Really, is it one of the side effects, I suffer from incredibly dry eyes all the time. Sometimes they are so dry that they are sore.

innocent wrote:i think periods are unregular for young people and i guess because i started mine late (when i was nearly 16) (now nearly 20) its still early days.

For some people I imagine it will never be "regular", for me however..I started when I was 13, I missed one period within in my second year I think, otherwise it's been bang on, almost to the hour as well.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:59 am

The thought of coming of the pill is my worst nightmare. 14 day perios every 10 days so for me it's horrible mentally and physically
I have to come off it in two years because I am 40.
The doctor said I can have a womb emblassion (microwaving of the womb with a wand) so it takes the lining away nd i will get really light or no periods - woo hoo
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:06 am

Do you have to come off it when you hit 40 Bel Bel? Does that apply to everyone?
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:13 am

Yes some people manage to get another 12 months but I know they will not go one day beyond 40 as I am on a strong pill.

If you smoke they are on at you way before 40 too

Hubby will be having a vasectomey thankfully so we won't have to worry about contraception. The womb emblassion can stop you getting pregnant but it's not 100% and it's not worth the risk.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:16 am

Ah right, I just assumed you could take it up until the menopause. Sometimes I think about coming off it, but I hate the thought of relying on condoms or having a coil (or similar) fitted.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:19 am

It doesn't any more: there did used to be an expectation that you would come off it at 40 but now it depends on the type of Pill and the user, because when I was looking at the pros and cons of various contraceptive methods recently I remember reading about the Pill "can be used until the menopause in healthy individuals". If Bel Bel is still on Dianette-type pills (I think she said she was) they'd want her to stop those, because they are quite strong.

Dips, yes, the Pill definitely made a difference to my eyes. Not the sort of side effect you usually think of!

EDIT: sorry, crossed post there! My connection is rubbish today, it takes about 20 attempts to get a page to load!

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Physical