Cluster Headaches

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Cluster Headaches

Postby earthchild » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:14 am

Hi All,

my bf has recently been diagnosed with Cluster headaches.
I know i can do research on Google regarding them but was just wondering if anyone could please give me any advice from experience as to any natural remedies that may help lessen the effects of them?
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Cluster Headaches

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:58 am

I haven't had cluster headaches but have had migraines. I know they share characteristics of migraines so I can only tell you from my own experience

I discovered that tension was a big part of the cause. I clamp my teeth together when I sleep (bruxism) as a way of dealing with tension. I didn't realise I was doing it. Once it was discovered I went to the dentist and had a night guard fitted which I wear every night. Ask you b/f to think about how his jaw feels in the morning is it tight or does he think it is full of tension. You can also feel the muscles in your cheek by putting one finger inside the mouth and your thumb on the outside and press, see if he feels any pain from pressing the muscles.

I was told to pull lots of different faces to keep the muscles from tensing up

If he doesn't have any jaw tension it is likely to be a build up in the neck, often casued from the anchor points in the shoulders. I have this too. Regular massge coupled with the night guard has elminated my migraines. I do get severe headaches instead sometimes but not anywhere near as painful as the migraines and I don't get all the othr nasty symptoms like sickness, intolernace to light and sound and flashing lights even when in a pitch black room.

I hope this is of some help
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby earthchild » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi Bel Bel
thanks for your reply,
yes he does grind his teeth alot every night, i would of never of put the two and two together
and yes his muscles at the base of his neck are rock hard, think its a good idea if i learn some massage techniques for his neck.
ive never really had much experience (either myself or in my family) of any kind of headaches or migraines, its all new to me, but his face in the morning (every morning) is so swollen and he definately cant take any light or sound until it fades.
thing is, he is getting them everyday and hes not so keen to keep taking Paramol (which is what the doctor suggested) everyday as his tolorance (sp?) builds up quickly.
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:43 pm

Try looking on here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache

Seems to have alot of info on possible causes and treatment
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:55 pm

I'd personally be wary of reading medical stuff on wikipedia - the info isn't always accurate. You could try searching for cluster headaches on the NHS website though....
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:02 pm

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Headache/P ... is-it.aspx

That page includes info about tension headaches etc. but also cluster headaches.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 am

I seriously suggest you get him some professional maasge initally. Perhaps once a week for a month to get the deep rooted tension sorted. This should make a difference pretty quickly
Also get him to the dentist and have a night guard fitted not only to help reduce muscle tension but to protect his teeth

I took the doctors medication and had very bad side affects and they don't solve the problem just mask it
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Physical