Change my look

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Change my look

Postby littlebee » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:18 pm

Ok so I'm starting college soon and after all my problems last year I think it's about time I do something about it and make myself happy with myself.
I'm 18 in january and for a start I look about 13, my little sister looks older than me. I mean part of it is because I'm not tall, I'm only about 5ft so that doesn't help but I look young in general. Like I'm pale and my mam's never taught me about make-up so I only wear eye make-up and that's it, my hairs just plain brown and slightly long, like chest length. People my age don't tend to talk to me..I think it's because of how young I look so they don't think I am their age. I just want to look my age and have friends my age and be able to do things that a 17 year old, or 18 when I am, can do and atm I can't. I have quite a self-confidence issue so I think that holds me back a bit but I'm sick of it and I want to go to college this year with a whole new look and feel really comfortable and confident.
I've always kind of liked the rocker look, if you know what I mean, like I grew up around music like Metallica and Thin Lizzy and my brother's quite a punky person so I think that is more my style, I've just never had the confidence to dress like that. I don't want to have like pink hair or anything like that, I just want a suttle rock-chick look, if you get me? feminine and stylish but rocker. I want to have an edge about me but girly at the same time.
I just don't know how to do it, I was hoping someone could give me some help. Like hairstyles, I like my long hair, but I am open to shorter styles. And especially the make-up part because I don't have a clue about that, and just the clothing part too..I'm small and a size 8 so I'm pretty flexible and open minded with clothing. I was also wondering if anybody knew a good fake tan that wouldn't make me too dark because I don't want a drastic change from being pale to like brown.

But yeah, thanks x.
littlebee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Change my look

Postby captainf » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:28 pm

Not sure what to suggest for you as im male with no fashion sense, but I noticed you're a relatively new member so I thought i'd suggest checking this post again on monday or tuesday as the weekend is relatively quiet on ProblemPages but week days are normally quite busy - just wanted to point that out so you didnt think no one wanted to help you.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby JennaXXX » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:39 am

I am 24 and look 16 so don't worry!
The first thing I would suggest is that you get a different hairstyle. Long hair often makes you look quite a bit younger.
Get a mid length style with short layers or something which frames your face.
Some other tips I have for you:

1. Avoid trainers and wear smarter shoes/high heels
2.Avoid hoodies and cartoon style tops
3. Wear subtle but sophisticated make-up in colours like brown and beige
4. Consider subtle highlights in your hair? They can make you look a little older

If you want a subtle tan then try the gradual tanning lotions you can get, the dove one is meant to be quite good. If you want a more immediate effect then I have heard that St Tropez is great for a fab and natural looking tan.
If you are stuck for clothes then have you thought about getting a personal shopper? I am sure places like Topshop has them and they can help advise you as to what styles suit you. You are petite and slim so I bet you would look fab in a lot of different fashions. Things that other girls couldn't get away with.
You can also have a look on different clothes websites and see what you like the look of. Just take your time and see what you like.

I know how frustrating it is looking years younger then your actual age. At work people assume I am 17/18 and I have been told I look 16 on a few occassions. It is upsetting when it affects you in negative ways. However, people who judge you on looks alone really aren't worth knowing. At college I am hoping they will be a bit more mature unlike some of the other people you have met.

Just go in with your head held high and be proud of you.

Hope all my advice helped.x
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Skarlet » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:46 am

Hi LittleBee,

I am not so punkrock myself now, although I still love the music.

Why not go and get your hair cut in a funkier style, with layers, and flicks- so you can rough it out. Maybe consider dyeing it a slightly darker shade, or having red put through it. Best to go to a hairdressers at first, although I have messed about with my hair alot.

There are make up lesson videos on youtube, I am sure there are plenty for the rock chick look.

Heels are important, wear skinnier jeans, with ankle boots, and get some of the new stuff in fashion and you should start looking a bit older.

If you act confident, the more confident you will get I promise.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:39 am

You could look in hair magazines or on-line for hair styles you like; if you don't find anything else then you could go into the hairdressers and ask for advice on a style and ask about styles to suit the shape of your face :).
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:37 am

I agree with the others.

With regards to make-up, it's probably best you start off by experimenting with different products. You say that you only wear eye make-up, but that's the feature that most people try to accentuate with make-up anyway, so do you need anything more?

If you want to wear face make-up, then it's probably best to go to Boots or somewhere similar and try out some different shades of foundation. It's best to try them on your jaw line as opposed to the back of your hand, as the skin tone will be different on your hand. Obviously you want to get a foundation which pretty much matches your skin colour, it will just even out the tone and help cover up any flaws. Personally, I use Clinique foundation, which is brill, but a bit expensive.

I also think that a small amount of blusher can really lift people's faces too, if you fancy giving that a go?

I think the most important thing with regards to face make-up is to keep it quite subtle and natural looking. You don't want to look orange or like you've got a mask on!!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Physical