damaged hair :(

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

damaged hair :(

Postby _han » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:45 pm

I used to have really long hair but as I got into my teens I started straightening it pretty much everyday and didnt realise how damaging it was for your hair. It eventually started to fall out so to get my hair back into good condition I ended up having to have it cut into a bob. I loved it at first and gained a new confidence from it, but now its back to how it was again, dry & extremely damaged. I've had a pretty tough year so I think maybe stress could of caused it as i've cut back on straightening, blowdrying etc.. and even started a healthy diet plus took multivitamins to try and get it healthy again, but nothing. its just one big mess and will hardly style anymore. If I have my dead ends cut off i'll end up having hardly any hair at all as its really short as it is so I really dont know what to do! I'm getting really bored of having short damaged hair now, and have been trying to grow it long again for a while, but it hasnt grown even an inch! I've heard there is all these products out there, eg, oils and treatments that can really help, but dont know what to get or how to start getting my hair healthy again. I'm really worried about loosing so much hair. please help? thanks.
_han
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: damaged hair :(

Postby Jo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:47 am

Hi han

Have you been to a hairdresser to talk about the best thing to do with your hair?
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:37 pm

I agree with jo but would also add if you don't cut off the dead ends it won't gorw and you mustn't go back to the straighteners for a very long time if ever as it sounds like they just don't agree with your hair becuase of the damage done.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:01 pm

I agree with the others.

I am sure you do this already from what you've said, but before you use straighteners do you spray your hair with a heat protecting spray? I had pretty much the same issue as you when my hair was longer and that's one of the reasons why I got it cut into a bob (which I'm glad I did), but once I'd had it cut, I started using a spray and I think it's helped. I agree with Bel Bel though - you can't keep straightening your hair whilst it's in such poor condition though. This is just advice for the future really
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby harriet_07 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Hey :)
try investing in some good shampoo and conditioner for damaged hair :) and maybe go to the hairdressers and have a hair mask put on ? or you can even buy them from the shops for a few pounds :) do it everytime you wash your hair and you should start to notice a difference :)
also.. if you are sick of having short hair.. why not ask for some hair extensions that you can clip in for xmas or something? so while your hair is growing back out, you wont even realise because youll have the extensions in .. and limit yourself to only using straighteners on a special occasion..
you will find that while the ends are dead in your hair, it wont be growing much, because the hair stand is damaged,, try getting your hair layered abit to get rid of the split ends and get it cut regulary ... about every 1-2 months as hair grows faster when it is cut more because the hair strand is frensh and new :)

hope i helped :)
xxx
harriet_07
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby muckytucky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:18 pm

most shampoos and conditioners that claim to help with this have nothing more in it than a kind of olive oil. So 2-3 times a week coat your hair in olive oil, leave it for a couple of hours, Making sure it is at least warm as this will make it absorb better and then wash your hair normally in a good shampoo or conditioner, (Aussie products although slightly expensive are great) You will still need to get the hair trimmed to get rid of split ends and you will have to take it easy on the straighteners, also think about buying some new straighteners, older plates can be rough and pull on the hair while they work which will only increase damage.
muckytucky
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby ToriL87 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm was in a simular situation (my hairs still short but in better condition now) i went into sallys as i didn't want to spend a fortune at the hairdressers, they told me to put baby oil on my hair at night (my scalp was really dry too) and sleep on a towel then wash and condition my hair in the morning (my hairs coloured so they recommened a shampoo for coloured hair)
At first i thought it was just going to make my hair lank and greasy, so i decided it wasn't suitable for every night. I've done it twice a week for a month now, and i've been using l'oreal vitamino colour shampoo and conditioner, and my hair feels much better, my scalp is much better too.
Before my hair was just really over processed, now during the day if i feel it a little dry i put on some bed head after party, which is lovely and acts as a moisturiser for my hair.
Aparently also massaging your scalp with baby oil encourages your circulation and hair growth.
I would definatley recommend calling into either a hairdressers (although i'd be wary of them selling you expensive treatments and products) or going into a sallys (where the products are cheaper, and often they just give good adivce- after all sallys don't even sell baby oil and they recommened it to me)
Hope you get the silky hair you long for
Sorry, can't hang out, it's Quidditch season. You know how it is...
ToriL87
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to Physical