Chiropractor for skin problems?

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Chiropractor for skin problems?

Postby ToriL87 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi everyone
I have quite bad skin, it's extremely dry and flaky. I get patches of ezcema on and off, and have had nearly every cream given to me by both my GP and the woman who owns the local health food shop (selling alternative medicines) I've also had tests done to see if i'm allergic to anything (i now don't eat dairy- well very little i do sometimes give in to chocolate)

For about the last 5 years or so, all of the skin at the back of my ears and inside my ears flakes off everyday, it's red raw and occasionally little hacks form and ooze (this makes washing my hair so painful) i wash behind my ears everyday and dry them properly and apply moisturiser etc.

However recently i met a chiropractor and when i found out what he did for a living i asked him about this lump at the back of my neck (he told me a name for it, and said it was soft so could be fixed, but a lot of old women have it but its hardened and nothing can be done?) He also said that it's causing my skin problems, because it's affecting my nerves which in turn affect my skin?

I had been considering acupunture before this, but now i was wondering if anyone had been to a chiropractor before for anything? i know their not that common in the uk, to be honest i'm a bit wary as i don't have bupa or anything like that, so i'll have to pay him privately.

Of course i will also welcome any miracle cures for my skin (anyones granny got a secret forumla they mixup in the bath?)
Sorry, can't hang out, it's Quidditch season. You know how it is...
ToriL87
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Chiropractor for skin problems?

Postby Skarlet » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:01 pm

I wouldn't trust him on the lump causing the ezcema, chiropractors perform soft tissue and bone manipulation.I would definitely try acupuncture, my sister has really bad ezcema, like you with weeping and things, and acupuncture really helped her.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby ToriL87 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:05 am

Thanks for replying skarlet, i had read testimonals online about acupunture, but i wasn't sure how reliable some were on acupunture websites. I think i might give it a go, since it's definately proving to be the cheaper of the two options at the moment and i really can't live with my ears like this any longer (i have shortish hair and it looks so awful, i'm fed up of people asking me whats wrong or telling me my ear is bleeding!)

The chiropractor's consultation with xray was going to be 80pound and then would have to sign up for a minimum of 8 visits, because he was going to do something called traction? so if acupunture doesn't work i'll think about it.
ToriL87
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:38 pm

my friend had exactly the same symptoms for years and a homeopath cured her/. It took a few weeks and got worse before it got better but it's much much better now
I will see if she knows what the homeo path used as you can buy homeo pathic remedies in health food stores and some chemists
I will let you know
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby ToriL87 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Thats Bel Bel, i've been to my local healthfood shop before, it's quite small but i'm sure if they'll order stuff in for me.
Bel Bel wrote:It took a few weeks and got worse before it got better but it's much much better now

Maybe i haven't persevered long enough before, as mine usually gets worse with some creams and i tend to stop if it burns and gets worse.
ToriL87
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:37 am

Ok I spoke to my friend and she had two problems wet eczema in the ear and dry eczema outside. The Homeopath treated the wet eczema then when that cleared up her doctor gave her Fucibet which treats the dry ear. Her ear is now perfectly normal as long as she continues the treatment
Hope this helps

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby ToriL87 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks for finding out Bel Bel, i'm a bit reluctant to go back to using the Fucibet cream (i do still have some left) but it can only be used for 2 weeks at a time, as it has a skin thinning effect, but i've searched online and found a homeopath that works from her home, a few miles from me, so i'm going to give her a ring. I seem to be the opposite of you friend, as inside my ear is dry but behind the ear is cracked and weeping and it's the outside i'm most concerned with, so hopefully the homeopath helps (because i'm still quite afraid of the prospect of accupunture to be honest)
ToriL87
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Aurelie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi Tori,

I would suggest going to a different chiropractor for a consultation, which should cost considerably less than £80, to see if what the first chiropractor said was true. It may be worth investigating as they are trained in depth about skin tissue, muscles and nerves, and if you have used medical solutions which haven't helped - it could be a viable option. Do shop around for a chiropractor though, as £80 seems a bit on the pricey side for a chiropractor, they are usually at least half as expensive as this.

Aurelie.
Aurelie
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby ToriL87 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks Aurelie, i actually have started accupunture for my skin-i've only had one session, but my experience has been good so far. I'm still thinking about the lump on the top of my spine, i'm worried that it will harden and i'll have a hump later in life, so i'm looking for another chiropractor (there don't seem to be many around) for another opinion, i did mention it to my G.P (but he was a little cynical about chiropractors :roll: )

I'll update you all though when i have lovely clear and flake free skin (hopefully)
ToriL87
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:13 pm

You could try an osteopath instead of a chiroprator. I used a chiroporator in the past and found I got on much better with an osteopath and they may be more about.
I think £80 is outrageous. I pay £37 a session and was paying £35 for at least 5 years prior to that

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Physical