Phobia

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Phobia

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:30 pm

I don't know if this is the right section or not. I have a MASSIVE phobia of needles. I mean I see them and I get queezy.

I went to see the nurse on Tuesday for a blood test; I took one look at the needles and was petrified; the got one out I was sweating up; she stabbed me with it and I thought OMGGGGGGGGGGGG, she didn't hit a vein (I had Harry Houdini veins when it comes to letting go of my blood); so she tried again in a differnt vein by this point I though OMG I'm going to pass out; she took me for a lie down and once I'd calmed down she tried for a 3rd time (and no blood).

So I'm going back tomorrow for "another" blood test with a different nurse; what can I do in general to get over my phobia?

I know they don't hurt; I know they only last seconds, the sensible part of me knows there is nothing to worry about but my subconscious turns into the devil and plays havoc with me.

Work are joking that I am going to look like pin cushion. I also don't know what will happen if the second nurse can't find anything; that isn't particularly bothering me.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Phobia

Postby Aurelie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi dipsydoodlenoodle,

It sounds like needles bother you, but from your post I couldn't determine whether you had anxiety or an actual phobia (as psychologically defined).

However, an important fact is that you have been able to face the issue head on. This suggests that you will be able to conquer this without professional intervention (for example Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)).

Very few people are not affected by needles, physically as human beings we are going to be affected by things that we know to hurt etc. It is only by knowing you will benefit from the needle that most people are able to go through with the process, even though it is uncomfortable and often painful. To see a needle and become queezy is common and natural, and not something to worry about as long as you are still able to have injections if you need them.

Nurses also can make things worse by their technique - some are sympathetic to those with needle anxiety and some are not, and it is unfortunate that the one you saw wasn't able to obtain any blood during your blood test.

It sounds like you experienced the physical anxiety response ('fight or flight') but were able to overcome it to do what you knew was the best thing, even though it was a strong response. This is very important as phobia patients would often not be able to do this, but would often take the consequences of not having the injection over actually having the injection - which can be dangerous, especially in the case of not being inoculated against major diseases.

There are things you can do to reduce this your anxiety response - breathing exercises is the one most people are familiar with, regulating your breathing to reduce the risk of hyperventilation and to make you feel more relaxed, concentrating on other stimuli which don't create anxious responses, promising yourself if you manage to confront the needle something nice that you want and focus on this during the anxious time, trying to rationalise as much as possible (for example thinking; if I do this now it will prevent negative things in the future, or I know I will come out of the building having done this, so I'm just going to bite the bullet), talking the needle through with the nurse, if you are more informed you might feel calmer, giving yourself time to relax in the nurse's room before the needle can also reduce the anxiety response.

One of the best things you can do is think about your anxiety response - what in particular did you notice the most? If, when you are in the nurse's room, you focus on this feeling and try to reduce it instead of thinking about the needle stimuli, then the anxiety will often reduce. This is a well known technique used in Psychology, and is proven to work, especially when people concentrate on keeping a steady heart rate.

It is important not to beat yourself up, and think you are not being 'sensible' - it is a perfectly normal response and one many people feel.

All the best,
Aurelie.
Aurelie
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:41 pm

I guess it's anxiety rather than phobia because I will still go for needles or injections. But I know it's more beneficial for me to get these needles.

After the first 2 needles I just said to myself that I need to calm down otherwise it's not going to happen, I calmed down and it didn't happen so I am going to try and take the same response tomorrow.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby whoopsie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 pm

How did your blood test go dips? I have severe emetophobia, fear of vomiting, so can sympathise.
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:44 pm

My daughter has the fear of the needle but she says herself it doens't hurt and it's not actually having it done.
She gets all nauseaous, crys and shakes. he accepts it's irrational and doesn't even know why she is like it. She has never had a bad experience either. I would recommend hypnotherpay or a hypnotist. My daughter had this for her cow fear and it hasn't gomne away but it's much better than it was
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 pm

Cow fear :o
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:22 pm

whoopsie wrote:How did your blood test go dips? I have severe emetophobia, fear of vomiting, so can sympathise.

I'm the same as yoru daugter Bel Bel, except my bodies reaction is to faint.

The second blood test went well, the nurse kept tallking to me and relaxed me, she found a vein straight away and had the needle in quickly. She used the bigger needle and the wound had almost healed a few days later. I STILL have a horrible bruise from the first blood test. I should be able to get my results tomorrow but I'm back to see the doctor on Monday so I'll just wait until then :),
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:21 pm

snail wrote:Cow fear :o

Yes one chased her in a field when she was young and she has been emotional scarred ever since :lol:
On a driving lesson she let go of the wheel and started panicking. Thats why I sent her for hypnosis as I couldn't let her loose on the roads on her own in case she saw a cow
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby peecee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Hey, Bel Bel, I can picture your daughter driving through town to do her shopping, and coming face to face with a cow driving in the opposite direction... :rofl:

Dipsy, this thread is really helpful! I don't mind having injections, but having blood taken makes me faint too - even thinking about it makes me wobble! Last time I had it done, I was so dizzy that from sheer pride (bloody-mindedness...?) I tried strolling nonchalantly out of the surgery without putting my head between my knees first, but staggered dizzily into the men's loo instead. :lol:

edit: oh, nooooooo - sausage-mindedness - curse that curse filter! :lol:
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:55 pm

At least, that was the story Peecee gave when they caught her in there :wink:

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peecee » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:11 pm

snail wrote:At least, that was the story Peecee gave when they caught her in there :wink:

Snail, I remember now - I bumped into you there, when you picked me off the floor; you told me you were in there doing a survey on phobias. Did you get much info, hun...? :P
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Mmm, lots =P~ 8)

EDIT: and your "sausage-mindedness" had nothing to do with the swear filter IMO - it was entirely Freudian :wink:

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:35 pm

snail wrote:EDIT: and your "sausage-mindedness" had nothing to do with the swear filter IMO - it was entirely Freudian

LMAO!!!!!!!

peecee wrote:Dipsy, this thread is really helpful! I don't mind having injections, but having blood taken makes me faint too - even thinking about it makes me wobble! Last time I had it done, I was so dizzy that from sheer pride (sausage-mindedness...?) I tried strolling nonchalantly out of the surgery without putting my head between my knees first, but staggered dizzily into the men's loo instead.

See I don't mind blood at all; it's the needle I don't like. The nurse even said to me now this is the point where most people get queezy but you are watching it. One thing about giving blood I don't like is that you can feel it warm in the needle/tube *yuk*

*puts a pillow down for peecee so she doesn't get dizzy just reading that*
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Physical