Weight issue (again!) Help!!

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Weight issue (again!) Help!!

Postby stressball » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:08 am

Hi All,

Just wanted a bit of a rant really. I made a decision in January about my health, namely my weight - in that I want (and need to according to charts) to lose 2 stone in weight. I was eating all the time, taking no exercise and generally not consciously aware of what I was putting in my mouth.

To get myself motivated, I teamed up with a colleague at work who also wanted to lose 2 stone, and we set up a chart to record our details. This has been going for the past 3 weeks now, he has managed to lose 3 kilos (around 1/2 stone) whereas Ive managed to lose a pound the first week, and GAIN .35 of a kilo the previous week!!

Now I'm getting really frustrated, because I've given up all unhealthy snacks, limited portion intake, sticking to 3 square meals a day (of which I found easier as time went on) walk to work and back (which takes an hour both ways), and I'm really disappointed in myself, I am just wondering, why aren't I getting anywhere??? I have weighed myself both on the scales at work and at home, and they both say the same thing, I'm not losing any weight!!

I just think after this week if I dont lose anything I might as well give up, although saying that my clothes do feel looser and I feel better generally, but I'm just wondering why do I do this with no results, or am I being silly? My colleague is trying to be supportive, but he says he doesnt understand it either and doesnt believe me when I say I've tried so hard!!

Can anyone help??

Stressball x
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Weight issue (again!) Help!!

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:26 am

If you are walking you are likely to be building muscle which weighs more than fat.
As you say your clothes are loser. Start measuring yourself instead of weighing yourself, they encourage that at rosemary connelly rather than concentrating solely on weight.
Have you looked at what your eating. Even though your portions are smaller are they heavy in saturated fats.
Try and eat more veg/salad than potatoes and meat. The plate should be made up of 1/5th meat/protein and 1/5th Starch/carbohydrates (potatoes/rice/pasta) and 3/5ths veg or salad.
If you find you need to snack a small piece of fruit or a low fat snack bar will be ok.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Liquidius » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:19 pm

I've always found that losing weight can be a bit complicated. It seems that people do all they can (myself included) including exercising more, and eating less, but it's very much about WHAT you're eating.

For example, if you're a carb fiend (like me, lurrrve pasta), you should avoid carbs in the evening. Carbohydrates generally are slow release energy foods, and if you don't use the energy, it's turned into fat. I'm a bit of a couch potato in the evening, so I'm sure you can see where I'm going! Save the carbs for lunch, and green veggies and lean meat for tea. :) That way you'll be moving around all afternoon, burning off that extra energy.

Try to remember, fat is harder to burn than muscle. If you lose weight quickly, chances are it's muscle you're losing. You don't want to do that! Make sure you keep up the exercise and the protein intake which is good for keeping/building muscle, it's not a race, and I'm sure your body will soon realise what it's supposed to be doing. :)
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby stressball » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi Liquidius, thanks for your reply - what you've said about the carb thing makes sense, because thats exactly me! Love pasta, and tend to relax in the evenings :) so yeah I think I might switch it around!

I never realised fat is harder to burn than muscle, I always thought it was the other way round, I guess it's true when they say you learn something new every day!

That's made me feel much better, I will continue to be healthier and keep it up, and hopefully will starft seeing some results soon - it's not a race is it, its taken me this long to put the weight on, it was kinda naive (spelling!) of me to think it would take a fraction of the time getting it off again!!

Thanks very much, I'll try and remember these things! :)

Stressball
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby stressball » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Hey Belbel, thanks for your reply :)

Oh yeah I didn't think about the walking/muscle thing, it makes a lot of sense (my leg muscles have become stronger, ive noticed that!) Yes, the measuring thing is a fantastic idea (why didnt i think of that???) :)

I try and eat low salt/low fat stuff and drink lots of water (dont drink anything else) so I think I'm doing OK - in regards to snacking I think my body has got used to eating less so I'm not as hungry as I used to be (if that makes sense?) so I havent needed a snack so far...but I'll keep the fruit/snack bars in mind in case I do!

Thanks very much, you've been a great help :)

Stressball
stressball
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Physical