How do you explain a phobia?

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: How do you explain a phobia?

Postby whoopsie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:19 am

For me, it's pretty much everything.

It's the gagging sound, the sound of it splatting on the floor/toilet, what it looks like, the smell. Everything.

From what I remember from being sick, it's the cramp feeling in your tongue/throat, not being able to breath, the warm lumpy feeling when it comes up. I haven't been sick in years (touch wood) but that's what I remember.

I'm bothered by any other bodily fluids, just that. I wish I could see it the same as you :(
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LemonJuice87 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:57 am

I'm the same as Whoopsie. Its everything about it. And I have no other fears of bodily fluids.

In my head I know i'm irational about it, but I really wish I could see it the same as you. But thats what it is with me, an irational fear.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:28 pm

I was sick last week. Although it's very unpleasant, it's never as bad when it happens as it is when you're thinking about it. It's not that dissimilar to coughing really. You just let your body do what it needs to do.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:08 pm

I actually don't mind being sick but reall really hate feeling sick.
Pain and sickness I can deal with but nausea is horrible, although I wouldn't say I have a phobia but I never get really drunk in case i get bad hangover which causes nausea or the whirlers 8-[
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby whoopsie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:43 pm

I think, with a lot of emetophobes, because we're all really good at trying to not be sick and taking anti nausea and sickness tablets, it becomes a fear of the unknown as well as a fear of being sick. Most emetophobes can't remember the last time they were sick.

LemonJuice, there's a forum similar to this just for emetophobia sufferers. It's interesting to see the different ways people suffer. I know my phobia is bad, but there are people worse than me :o

http://www.gut-reaction.freeserve.co.uk/forum.htm
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:47 pm

whoopsie wrote:I think, with a lot of emetophobes, because we're all really good at trying to not be sick and taking anti nausea and sickness tablets, it becomes a fear of the unknown as well as a fear of being sick.

Yes, I strongly agree, I've heard that myself.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LemonJuice87 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:23 pm

I can vouch for that. I'm one of those.

I felt really sick about a year ago while on holiday and I knew in my head that I would feel soooo much better if I was to be sick. Mr. LemonJuice got really annoyed with me because I was controlling it.
I managed to push the voices aside and thought, i will do it. I need to be sick to feel better.
But by the time I got to the Bathroom my brain took over and i was controlling it without thinking.

I would rather feel ill and put up with it for a few days than be sick.

Whoopsie, I'll take a look at the website. :)

I'm glad there are other sufferers. After a while you beging to think your been really stupid, but once you find out there are other peole like it, you dont feel so bad. There's some sort of relief that your not alone.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby whoopsie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:39 pm

I had food poisoning in 2008, and did some severe gagging but no sick. In the end, I was so frustrated that I wasn't being sick, cos I obviously needed to be. I must have been controlling it. I would definately rather feel ill for a few days instead of being ill.

When I found out there was a name for it, and I wasn't the only one, I cried. I read about what other sufferers do and don't do, and I was like 'that's me!'. It was such a relief.

Ah, LemonJuice, I have been waiting for someone like me to arrive here so I can chat about it. :D
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LemonJuice87 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:49 pm

In all honesty though, it's such a ridiculous phobia to have. I guess all phobia sufferers think that, but i really do think it can be so silly sometimes.

I watch my daughter like a hawk when she's eating. Just incase it's something she doesnt like and she starts gagging, because I know what comes after gagging lol.
I hate it so much, I want to comfort her if/when she's ill but I just cant bring myself to go any where near her. Not for fear of catching what she's got, but of fear of her been sick on me or getting it on me.

God knows how i'll cope when me and Mr. LemonJuice decide to have kids. My last pregnancy kind of snuck up on me as did the morning sickness (When I went to the docs he said it was a virus, and gave me anti-biotics, i thank god my daughter is healthy after that).
But with a planned pregnancy, i'm a bit scared. I would be sitting there everyday waiting for morning sickness to arrive.

Whoopsie, I feel so much better for talking to someone who understands. My Mum has always been supportive, but Mr. LemonJuice, not so much lol. I think he knows it bothers me, but not to the actual extent it bothers me, if that makes sense. Lol.

LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby whoopsie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:53 pm

After me and my fiance get married, we've decided that, depending on work and money, we'd like to have a baby. But like what you said, I'd be waiting to get ill. I've been told about a few tablets tho, Stemetil mainly, that are anti emetics and are safe during pregnancy. Loads of people on the emetophobia forum have kids so it can be done!!!

It is hard for people to understand. It takes over everything. What you eat, drink, where you go, the kinds of jobs you have, holidays etc. It's always in the back of your mind, when it's not right at the front! Grr
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LemonJuice87 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:54 pm

I read that Morning Sickness is your bodys way of telling you that everything is fine and normal. Yes thats a completley normal thing to happen obviously lol. :lol:

I'm a bit OCD with Use By dates. If its one day over the use by I'm very weary, i'm there standing in the kitchen inspecting it and smelling it. If it smells or looks strange I wont cook or eat it. Mr. LemonJuice used to think it was weird but now he just lets me get on with it. He'll tell me it's fine and it wont makes us ill, even though I trust him with my life, but i'm still weary.

It can stop you doing things you really really want to do. I love going clubbing, I know my limits, but it seems others dont or just dont care. On the opening of a new club me and my best friend went and some guy threw up and it got on my shoes and I freaked out big time. The bouncers thought I was a crazy woman. My friend was trying to calm me down and sort me out and trying to explain to the bouncers why I was going mental.
It's the same at places like Alton Towers, I cant relax and have a good time.

But it seems its only other emetophobics would understand that fear.

LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: How do you explain a phobia? Update...

Postby LemonJuice87 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:42 pm

Well, A bit of an update.

I think Mr. LemonJuice understands my fear now. Unfortunatly I was sick in the early hours of Tuesday morning. I was only sick twice but a twitching nervous wreck up untill the point where I couldnt control it any longer. How I didnt wake my daughter up with all the shouting and pacing I did is beyond me.

He said to me last night that he kind of gets that i'm scared of it all. He's still a typical man and thinks I over react, but now he saw it from the me been ill point of view. If that makes sense.

I have no idea what it was. I reckon something I ate didnt agree with me and Mr. LemonJuice thinks it was this virus him and my daughter had a few weeks ago. But for me to have this virus, thats at least a 2 week incubation period. That seems to long. So i'm abit scared its a different kind of virus and these two will get it again. Not looking forward to that.
We both had a fleeting and passing thought that I could be pregnant (I did feel very stange a couple of weeks ago, a pregnant kind of strange) but I cant be, I still have my implant. Unless, yet again, another form of contraception has failed me. So just waiting on the monthly guest to confirm that one for me lol.

LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Wow, so you had to face your fear, Lemon. You sound quite calm about it. Two weeks is possible for an incubation period, and it does seem probable after they were both sick that it's the same thing. Hopefully you won't have to worry about it again for a while.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:15 pm

I wasnt calm about it at the time lol.

I dont think I had choice about it to be honest. It was nice been the one everyone looked after though :lol:

I'm just paranoid now, I keep asking my daughter if she feels alright and if her belly feels funny. Lol.

LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby whoopsie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:45 pm

I'm so sorry you were ill and had to go through that. *hugs* How do you feel about it now? Worse? Better? I know my food poisoning made me worse. Now i worry about choking/gagging all the time as well as all the sick stuff.
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

PreviousNext

Return to Physical