Blooood :)

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Blooood :)

Postby Ithfifi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:10 am

Hello Guys and girls of Pp,
I want to first apologize for only posting problems on my 2nd post; I want to reply more, but feel I am not acknowledged enough!

I have always wanted to donate blood, I'd like to hear from anyone who has.. or had experience.
I am not squeamish at all, but I've always had a hard time drawing blood when having bloodtests. They can never get my veins up. I wondered if anyone had stories about giving blood. How it is different to just have a blood test; I am assuming your blood needs to be checked for infections and such, what does this entail? I don't want you to think I am being lazy by asking on here, I plan to do my reasearch but just wanted a 'real persons' experience. I am probably going to go ahead with it (Which is also a big step for me going outside as I am very anxious, and never go anywhere without a family member)

One other thing is.... Whenever I go into a medical situation, they always go for my left arm. Either the equipment is to the left, or the doctor is sat to the left... I have ALOT of very deep pink raised scars on my left arm only, if they went to take the blood and saw that, do think they could have reason to refuse my blood? < Idk if that sounds weird but its something im paranoid of (the scars) so i assume any event they could be present could bring problems.

Thankyou all in advance
Diego Rivera ~ I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

http://ithfifi.deviantart.com/ ~ My 'gallery'.
Ithfifi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Blooood :)

Postby ILoveChristmas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:39 am

Hi Ignacia!

I give blood twice a year. The mobile donating bus comes to the business park I work on which is very handy, anyway the process goes like this:

- You make an appointment and go along. They give you a health questionnaire to complete and then ask you more verbal questions.

- You're taken into a smaller cubicle where the nurse asks questions about your sexual history (if you're gay or know if you have any STDs).

- The nurse pricks your finger and tests your blood's iron level.

- You're taken along to the donating bed. They have moveable pillows, so you can say that you want your right arm used if that's what you prefer. You lie down.

- They'll place a tournequette round your arm so your veins expand (even if you have poor circulation).

- The nurse inserts the needle and valve into your arm, which is attached to the bag. The bag hangs down the side of the bed so it's lower than you are.

- You wait! You may have to open and close your fist to encourage blood flow into that arm, but it's all fine and you really don't feel a thing once the needle is in.

- It takes roughly 10-20 minutes depending on your circulation and blood pressure.

- Once you're done you go and have a seat. They give you a high sugar buscuit and a soft drink. Once you feel fine (and you usually never feel anything other than fine) you set off back to home/the office!

It's a piece of cake. Well worth doing too.

Edit: Sorry I meant to say that they don't test the blood for infections/drugs etc right there, they do that later on. If your blood is ok they send you a letter containing a credit card type thing with your blood type on it and inviting you to the next donation session. I imagine if you had a problem they'd also advise of that in a letter, but you'd be asked not to donate in future.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ceilidh1990 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Hey :)).

I gave blood for the first time a couple of years ago, and I've been scared of needles since I was really young, but I was determined to do it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Once the needle was in they covered it with a plaster so you only see the tube, it's really quite fascinating to see your blood fill into a bag! Every time I have went I've went along with friends which in my opinion has made the whole thing much easier. My friends and I usually have a wee competition to see how quickly we can give a pint. It usually takes about 7 minutes for me.
The first time I filled out the questionnaire, I couldn't help but be slightly amused. They ask some sexual questions about whether you've ever engaged in prostitution and things like that. If you've had a piercing or a tattoo in the past 6 months you shouldn't be able to give blood.
They give you a test before giving blood to see the level your haemoglobin is at and I thought this was actually sorer than giving blood :P.
The feeling after giving blood is amazing though and any anxiety felt doesn't matter anymore :). I read that three teaspoons of blood can save a premature baby's life :).
The nurses taking your blood should be able to tell the difference between the scars on your arm and other types of scars so that shouldn't be a problem :).
Hope this helps :) xxx
ceilidh1990
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby kerrie24 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:50 pm

Me and my fiance give blood whenever we get the letter to remind us.I have a fear of needles but just dont look lol.They always favour my left arm as well,apparently the right one has rubbish veins.Everyone else has it covered already but yeah I think go for it,its such a small thing to do and it makes a really big difference.My partners grandma sadly passed away last year from cancer but in the last months,the only thing that kept her alive was to have a full blood transplant once every 2 weeks or so,and we feel we are giving something back by adding to supplies.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Ithfifi » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:37 pm

Thankyou for all your input guys ^-^ I'm certain i want to do it, I will get round to looking at when they do it around here, thanks again!
Diego Rivera ~ I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

http://ithfifi.deviantart.com/ ~ My 'gallery'.
Ithfifi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Physical