Thyroid

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Thyroid

Postby captainf » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Can anyone tell me what the thyroid does?
I ask because I went to the doctors this morning as recently i've been losing my hair which has never happened to me before.
The doctor is sending me for a blood test tomorrow where i'll have a full blood count and a check of the thyroid too.
So i'm just curious what the thyroid actually does really.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Thyroid

Postby kerrie24 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 pm

I think the doctor might be checking for an over active thyroid.Here is some info(sorry theres quite a lot,I couldnt figure out how to do a link to the page I was looking at):

About the thyroid gland

The thyroid gland is an endocrine gland. This means that it secretes hormones into your bloodstream. Hormones are chemicals produced by the body to help regulate how your cells and organs work. They are sometimes called chemical messengers.

Your thyroid gland is located in the neck in front of your windpipe. It is about 2cm wide and 4cm high

The thyroid gland secretes two hormones: thyroxine (also called T4) and triiodothyronine (also called T3).

Together, these hormones regulate your body's metabolism. They control how quickly your body burns energy and how quickly reactions in your body happen.

Your rate of metabolism affects lots of things, such as how much you weigh and how much you sleep. Thyroxine and triiodothyronine speed up the body's metabolism, causing organs and processes in your body to work faster.

The production of the thyroid hormones is controlled by another hormone called thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). This is made by an endocrine gland in the brain called the pituitary gland.
Symptoms

Hyperthyroidism has many different symptoms. In general, they relate to a speeding up of your body's metabolism. Some of the symptoms include:

* feeling nervous, irritable or emotional
* tremor (shaking)
* sleeping poorly
* being intolerant of heat and sweating more than usual
* losing weight despite increased appetite (10% of people will gain weight)
* feeling tired
* muscle weakness
* increased heart rate or palpitations
* having infrequent periods or problems getting pregnant
* having more frequent bowel movements or diarrhoea
* shortness of breath, especially when exercising
* loss of hair or finer hair than usual
* swelling of the thyroid gland in the neck (goitre)
* swollen/red eyes, or double vision (see Graves' disease)
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LemonJuice87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I'm sorry Captain but that is REALLY freaky!!

I am going to the Docs on Thursday to be checked on the exact same thing!! :o

Hope everythings alright with you hun!!
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Thanks for the info kerrie! Thats very interesting information.
All I seem to have is hair loss on that list. Although my eyes have been abit red at times and irritable recently.

Good luck, LemonJuice. I hope all turns out well for you!
Thanks for your best wishes too. :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:50 pm

You can also suffer from an under-active thyroid. Many of the symptoms are the reverse of over-active symptoms - you are more sensitive to cold instead of heat, more sleepy instead of less so, etc, but thinning hair can be either. But there are other causes of thinning hair - when my brother had it it turned out to be his immune system attacking his own hair. It went away after a while, oddly enough.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:04 pm

Gosh I hope it's nothing bad Captian. Hair loss can also be associated with stress and you have had a fair bit of that lately
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:48 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have been more sensitive to the cold this winter but then again it was a colder winter than normal so im not sure if it was just that.
Lately I have been quite sleepy and find my eyes are quite irritated, especially in sunlight over the past week or two but I put it down to the fact that its summertime and maybe abit of hayfever setting in. I havent spent much time on the PC lately neither - just come on and check emails and messages.

Bel bel, thanks, it could be stress related after things with my dad, my nan (dads mum) passing away and things with the girl I liked. This week I havent spoken much to the girl I liked because i've been taking abit of time out for myself. I did speak to her last night and explained that it was clear to me I felt way more for her than she does me and then I added that im happy being friends and will take some time out to even out my feelings and see her as a friend only.

I got a call from the doctors today and they rescheduled my blood test for next wednesday as the nurse called in sick today.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Physical