Help! I have a nasty rash (not THAT kind of rash)

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Help! I have a nasty rash (not THAT kind of rash)

Postby jen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi all

I'm really hoping someone can help with this.

I tend to get the odd flare up of spots probably like anyone else (around my time of the month) and i usually at all times tend to have one or two spots. One will go away and another will pop up. Annoying but it doesn't bother me too much.

Anyway i've recently started using nutrogena foam wash. Only been using it for about a week and felt as though my skin was looking better. However yesterday i noticed that the skin at the left and right above my top lip was all dry and had a few little whiteheads. It was slightly red with and the little whiteheads were really small.

Anyway i washed my face with an exfoliating scrub and then washed it with the nutrogena stuff and it seemed ok but today it's gotten worse. It's like i've got an inch thick ring around my whole mouth and it's all dry and slightly red and the little whiteheads are back again.

I'm really worried because i keep getting scared that it might be adult acne but my spots have never been that bad before so i can't seeing it being this (hopefully)

Anyway is there anything any of you can think of that it might be? Anything at all?

More Info that may help: I'm 23. I've been a bit under pressure/annoyed with work and desperately want to find another job. Also for the past 6 months i've been on a diet (i'm not really cutting anything out as just doing weightwatchers points) and have shed nearly 4 and a half stone. I don't wear make-up very often(i sometimes wear it maybe 2/3 times a week at the most) Also i went on the sunbed for 6 minutes last night after work although i used to go on the sunbeds before and have never had this problem.

Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated.

Jen x
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Help! I have a nasty rash (not THAT kind of rash)

Postby captainf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:49 pm

I wonder if its a slight allergic reaction?
Have you read through the contents of whats in the foam wash that you are using?
As you know I have eczema and sometimes my skin doesnt like certain things. I used to use oilatum (I think it was called) in my bath and my skin reacted badly to it.
Do you moisturise after you've washed? If so, what do you use?

If it persists maybe go to the doctors but you might just need to change what you wash with really.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:16 am

I agree - stop using the new stuff and see if it goes back to how it was before. I personally can't tolerate any of those harsh washes or anything like that without getting irritated, I now only use Green People wash-off creams with 'edible' ingredients (sunflower oil, hemp oil etc). Exfoliation will also make your skin much more sensitive so do it sparingly.

Probably not a good idea to use a sunbed if your skin is irritated either, any UV damage will be increased on irritated skin.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks guys

Yeah i was only going back to use the sunbeds for a while to build up a bit of colour for the wedding in November (i was scared that fake tan would come off onto my dress) but i'm not going to go back.

With regards to the foam wash. I read the ingredients last night but didn't have a clue what half of them were.

I've had a reaction to a face wash before but my skin just went dry and sore whereas this time i have all these little white spots. I tried to get rid of the spots last night and didn't use the face was last night or this morning but when i woke up this morning they'd appeared again.

I do think it may be an allergic reaction so i'm going to stop using the face wash but i just throught it strange that these little white spots are appearing. Don't you normally just come out in a rash with an allergic reaction? Plus it seems to only be around my mouth (although this is where my spots normally crop up) and chin.

I'm just terrified it might be acne as two of my close friends had this when we were younger and they had it really bad and used to tell me how painful it could be. Do any of you guys think it could be acne?

Thanks again, as always, your help is much appreciated.

Jen
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:37 am

If it is acne and you use the contraceptive pill you can ask for a Dianette. they usally only put you on it for 6 months. It's primarly a short term acne treatment but is also a contracetpive pill. It should only take 6-8 weeks for any skin problem to clear up
I would rule out the allergic reaction first though.
Alos I tend to find the sunbed will dry up any spots etc. I don't tend to get skin problems but I get cold sores and the few times I have used the sun bed (I build up for holiday to prevet burning which is much worse for you than using a sun bed occasionally and at low durration) I have found it dries it up quicker and a friend of mine says it really helps her skin ( mild acne). Maybe it's just becasue you have a good colour the spots aren't as obvious :-s
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby jen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks guys

Yeah i'm going to stop using the foam wash and hopefully it'll clear up.

I usually find that the sunbeds dry them up too belbel so didn't think it would be that.

Hopefully it'll clear up otherwise i'll be looking for tips on where to buy a stylish paper bag for my head lol

Thanks again folks

Jen
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Sunlight does genuinely help acne (ultra-violet light is sometimes used as an acne treatment) but it's not generally worth the long-term damage.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Physical