Ring stuck

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Ring stuck

Postby whoopsie » Fri May 28, 2010 3:48 am

I don't really know where to put this. I know it's not really a problem but it's worrying me.
I put an old ring on earlier. I've lost a bit of weight so thought i would see if it fit. It was a bit 'snug' but not too bad. I could turn it and pull it off.
I've just woken up and it was a bit sore so i tried to take it off but it's stuck. I've tried soap and freezing water, cos i'm a bit warm but that didn't work. Now my finger is swollen from all the pulling. I'm hoping it'll come off tomorrow cos i really don't want it cut off (the ring or my finger lol)

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it off? :(
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Ring stuck

Postby ILoveChristmas » Fri May 28, 2010 8:45 am

The harder you try the more swollen your finger gets and the harder it becomes to remove.

The first port of call should be your car. Pull up the dipstick and get some oil on your finger tips. Smear it all over your finger and try to get some under the ring. Them gently start twisting the ring left to right and right to left. Make sure you smear loads of oil over your knuckle.

If that doesn't work I heard someone talking about using dental floss to remove a stuck ring. You basically wrap the floss tightly round your finger for about 10mm infront of the ring, compressing your skin so you can slide the ring up a bit. Then you unwind the floss and do the same thing again a little further up. Keep going until that, combined with oil if necessary, gets it off.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Fri May 28, 2010 9:35 am

I agree, although vegetable oil or Vaseline are nicer to use than car oil!
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ILoveChristmas » Fri May 28, 2010 9:37 am

Pah! I was trying to be manly Snail! :P
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Fri May 28, 2010 10:13 am

I know, I know - it was so blokey it made me smile when I read it! None of that namby-pamby stuff, just get out there and smear engine oil on yourself :lol:
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Fri May 28, 2010 11:35 am

:lol: You guys have made me chuckle today.

I can sell you a ring cutter if the worst comes to the worst Whoopsie :wink:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby peecee » Fri May 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Hey, blokies! Years ago, at Christmas, my little brother tried one of my 3-part rings on, and got it stuck; we didn't want mummy and daddy to know, so we tried everything - washing up liquid, bits of collapsed balloon round his finger to make his finger smaller, all the stuff Snail and ILC have suggested...and little bro's finger got bigger and bigger - In the end, we had to tell my dad, and he got a ring cutter out, aka hacksaw! #-o (and my brother still has the scar to this day...but it serves him right for trying on MY ring in the first place! :wink: )

A couple of years ago we dusted this old story off in a family get-together, and my Dutch niece grabbed the undamaged part of the ring and made it her own...so every time she wears it, baby bro's embarrassment continues down the generations, all across Europe...:badgrin:

What I'm saying, hun, is if you haven't got that ring off yet, SORT IT OUT! :P
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby whoopsie » Sat May 29, 2010 3:54 am

Thanks guys. It did finally come off. I didn't use engine oil, but it did come off in my car. I decided to moisten it with good, old fashioned spit! Tugged it from side to side, and finally my finger was free.
I was going to try the dental floss thing when my bf got home but really wasn't looking forward to it. My finger is still red and has slight indents from the ring.
It's annoying cos it's the commitment ring my bf got me. I used to wear it on my left hand but took it off when i got engaged. I've lost a bit of weight recently so i put it on my right hand. It was a big snug, but it felt ok-ish.
Oh well, lesson learnt and now i know what to do in case it happens again!
Thanks again guys! :) Xx
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Physical