Ingrowing hair

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Ingrowing hair

Postby beetle88 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:44 am

I was wondering if someone can help me. I used to shave my legs regularly, as my hair grows back very quickly, but started epilating a few years ago. However, no matter what I do, my legs are never smooth. I now have so many ingrowing hairs, that they are always really bumpy and never smooth. I have tried immac, shaving, epilating, waxing and they still never seem to be completely smooth. Does anyone have any tips as to how to get completely smooth legs? Or how to get rid of all these ingrowing hairs? I exfoliate regularly with gloves, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I am really self conscious about it, especially with summer approaching. My legs never used to be this bad, but I am so embarrassed to get them out, as they just look a mess as they are all bumpy and red! Can anyone help? Thanks!
beetle88
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Ingrowing hair

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:54 am

Try give your legs a couple of days rest a month
Constant shaving etc means that hairs are trying to grow back and consequently your legs will feel bumpy as the hair tries to break the skin
Waxing is better in the sense it lasts longer but you have to grown the hair back a bit each time
I think in your situation you might be better with hair remover as it dissolves the hair at the root rather than slicing the top of the hair off like shaving
I have heard mixed things about epilators and they don't all work the same anyway. Also many people find them painful

As for ingrowing hairs get a treatment like this one.
http://www.ingrownhairtreatment.net/pd_ ... 4wodtDDXFQ
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby beetle88 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:35 am

Thanks - I will have a think about that product, as I have read mixed reviews about it online. I have not epilated for a few weeks, and the ingrowing hair situation seems to be a bit better. I have started to use hair removal cream instead. However, the hair still grows back after two days, and so I have to do it again - which I don't think can be good for my skin. Any suggestions on how to stop hair growing back so quickly/what is the best way to remove it? I started epilating a few years ago to stop myself shaving. However, I think I am going to have to resort to shaving every day. Waxing would be great, but for the summer it really isn't ideal.
beetle88
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby snail » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:00 am

Usually, waxing will be more inclined to give you ingrowing airs than epilating - ingrowing hairs are most likely when the hair is pulled out against the direction of growth (as this distorts the follicle) and this is exactly what waxing does. Epilating, on the other hand, can be done towards the direction of growth, and therefore generally gives you less ingrowing hairs. So if epilating is already causing problems I don't think waxing would be better anyway.

I avoided epilators for years because everyone said they were painful, didn't work etc, then decided when I was about 35 to give one a try - and kicked myself for not trying them before! I found an epilator so much more convenient and cheaper than waxing, less painful, and it reduced my incidence of ingrowing hairs by about 90%.

It sounds as though this is just something you are very prone to, and it would probably happen to some degree no matter what method you used. Hair removal creams are likely to cause the least problems like this but I agree with you about using them constantly. Have you considered laser treatment, to permanently remove the hair? I know it is expensive but it might be the best option for you. Prices where I live start from £35 per single treatment.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:21 am

With regard to the rate your hair grows back, it doesn't sound particularly unusual to me. I usually shave my legs, but by the next day they will be ever so slightly stubbley (and the day after that they really need shaving again if I were to wear a skirt). Remember you don't have to have perfectly smooth pins all the time! Ok, I wouldn't wear a skirt without shaving my legs, but if I know I'm going to be wearing trousers all day, I'm not bothered if my legs are a little bit hairy!! (not disgustingly so, but who cares if they're not perfect when no one can see!?)
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:25 pm

http://www.auravita.com/product/Johnson ... =JOHN12016

Put this on everyday, heard about it a while back, if you persist it apparently works well. I am sure you could pick it up at your local boots or superdrug
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby beetle88 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks both for your help! I really do think it is the epilating which has caused the ingrowing hair problem so I will leave it for a bit. I have already noticed less bumps/ingrowing hairs since I stopped epilating just a few weeks ago. The scars/marks caused when I removed the hairs are also starting to go down, as I am trying to sun/tan my legs to make them less noticeable. I will stick with shaving/creams for now, and maybe try epilating again in future (but in the opposite direction to see if it helps the ingrowing hair situation. I will definitely try to find that Johnson's cream though! Thanks!
beetle88
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Physical