Question about breasts

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Question about breasts

Postby captainf » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:02 am

Today we had a message left on our house phone while we were out and when my mum listened to it she said 'oh its from the hospital' so I asked my nan why the hospital had phoned as I had no idea any of us had any problem. Nan said to me 'your mum found a lump' which immediately gave me that huge sinking feeling. Mum said she has an appointment for the hospital on Wednesday.
About an hour later me and mum went to the shop and I said 'um so, why do you need to go to the hospital?' and she explained that one of her breasts feels abit hard and was in a fair bit of pain about a week or so ago. She mentioned she went to the docs but didnt want to worry me as the doctor checked her over and suggested she go to the hospital to get checked out (as my nan had a lump removed about 17yrs ago and my aunt had breast cancer a year or so ago) but added that the hardness of the breast probably isnt anything to worry about. I did tell her that nan told me mum had found a lump and she said that wasnt the case and that nan probably didnt know how to explain it (im hoping mums being honest and not trying to hide it from me as she knows i'll worry)

So im abit worried really, naturally, everyone gets worried when they think theres a possibility that cancer could be involved. So what i'm asking is, if as the doctor says its probably nothing to worry about, what could it be? Mum did say that the doc said it could be things like stress, or the fact that my mum no longer has periods (she has a coil)
Also, as my mum may have a mammogram on wednesday, how long do we have to wait for the results?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Question about breasts

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:29 am

I wish I could help darling, but I dont know. My Aunty had Breast Cancer but the only thing I know is that she's fine and has been for a few years now.

It could be a cyst?

And results can take anythig from a couple of days to a couple of months. The people who do the tests on your Mum will be able to give her a better idea of how long she will have to wait.

I wish I could give you loads of details to help you feel a bit better.

Perhaps, telling your Mum that your old enough to be told straight whats going on. You dont want her to sugar coat anything for the sake of you worrying?
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Skarlet » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:34 am

Sorry to hear this Captain, I don't know how long the results will be- would imagine that they would be pretty quick, but not sure how long the nhs takes now.

There are a couple of things that it could be, like a cyst as lemonjuice says, it could also be mastitis. It is good the doctor referred her to the hospital straight away.

I will keep my fingers crossed that it turns out to be nothing serious.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks guys :) I dont think my mum is witholding info, I know sometimes my nan doesnt always tell the exact truth - Like there have been times i've told her things, heard her tell someone else and had to correct her on numerous points. Additionally, my mum doesnt seem worried so im guessing that she probably doesnt think its cancer but getting checked as a precaution due to cancer being in the family in the past?

How big are cysts? All mum told me was that her breast felt abit harder than it should and added that she doubts it would be cancer because the breast hurt a week or so ago and cancer doesnt cause pain.
Additionally, my mum is 47 but hasnt gone through the 'change' yet so could it be that?
What is mastitis? I havent heard of that before.

Thanks for your support :)
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:55 pm

Mastitis is inflammation of the breast tissue, normally happens to lactating mothers, but can affect women who aren't.

Cysts can be a variety of sizes, basically a sac filled with fluid, but not sure much more than that. This breastcancer website has information on cysts,http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-breast-health/diagnosis/benign/breast-cysts.

Lets hope that it is just benign.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks for the information regarding to mastitis - if it is that I assume theres no problem and the breast will return to normal?

Thankyou for the link regarding to cysts. That was an informative read. I'll see what happens on Wednesday and if they say its a cyst then i'll tell mum to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnt refill or anything.

Hopefully its not a problem.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:16 pm

My mum had cysts in her breast and they did a biopsy and discoved they were not cancerous. She then decided to have them removed because they felt unconfortable. Apparently it is fairly common.
If we assume your mum is telling the truth it could well be to do with the menopause .
If you nan is telling the truth it could be cysts or cancerous lumps. However don't despair even if it is cancer. Caught early it can be very succesfully treated these days. I know several ladies who have had it and had treatment that has cured them. Some have had radiation, one had breast removal. Breast can be rebuilt if the patient chooses or you can just wear a bra with a false breast for looking normal for clothing purposes.

You will worry and it's totally natural. I do also understand why your mum wouldn't want you to worry until she knew for sure so try not to be upset with her for not telling you.
Now you do know though I think you should just tell your mum you would rather the truth and would find it easier if you knew.
Let all keep our fingers crossed it is nothing to worry about
Please let us know though

:grouphug:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks very much, Bel bel. Its nice to hear of the accounts of your mum and it sounds like those ladies were lucky also.
Its reassuring to know that if its caught early they can treat it successfully. I know my ex's mother had breast cancer and had a successful op so if it comes to that i'll fire my questions at her because as you know, i'm friends with my ex's family.

I dont doubt what my mums told me. When I asked her, she explained about her breast feeling abit hard and then I told her nan said she had found a lump and mum said 'no, there was no lumps, its just abit hard and sore' Mums general mood hasnt changed neither, still laughing, joking.. I would of never guessed anything if I hadnt been there when they recieved the phone message. So im guessing mum isnt expecting it to be cancerous but is going through the precautions due to breast cancer having run through the family previously.

But yeah, naturally I am worrying but hopefully the results wont take long. How long did your mum wait for her results?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby jen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:05 am

Hey

I'm sorry i don't have much to add to what the others have said. My aunt had breast cancer a few years ago after finding a lump. Fortunately it was discovered early enough and removed and now she is fine.

The only thing positive that i might add which i think you've already mentioned is that most people tend to find a lump but don't have any pain which is why i think doctors suggest you always check your breasts as otherwise you probably wouldn't know. It may just be a cyst or her body might be going through "the change".

Sorry i can't add any more or give you much peace of mind but i'm sure if your mum isn't too worried then it probably is something minor. I know you're close to your mum so you know her better than anyone so if you don't think there's any reason to doubt what she's saying then don't.

Jen
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:30 am

My mum waited about 10 days for her results but that was a biopsy, your mum may not even need one they may be able to put her mind at rest straight away, lets hope so anyway.
As you say your mum doesn't seem to be too worried so that's a good sign and your right it's best she be cautious if there is a family history
Let us know when you know
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby captainf » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks very much guys. :) Yeah, considering she said her breast felt abit harder than it should im hoping that in that case its not a lump and as it hurt im hoping thats a good sign too. We'll see though! Hopefully shes going through the change or something like that.
Like I say, her mood hasnt changed and she seems fine. Shes even planning things like normal such as going away at the start of August. So hopefully this is a good sign. Its just, as im not a doctor, I worry as obviously when you know someone going for a mammogram you immediately think cancer. So one minute I feel ok and the next I remind myself it maybe cancer and then I worry. I just cant wait to get it all over and done with and know what it is once and for all and know where to go from there.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby JennaXXX » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:42 pm

It could be a cyst or fibroids. Breast lumps are very common and most are nothing to worry about.
As the others have said though, if it is cancer, it has been found quickly and so this is obviously a good thing where treatment and recovery are concerned.
I hope your mum will be ok.
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks very much, Jenna :) I really appreciate the time you've taken to reply. :)
Her appointment is tomorrow so i'll let you know how she got on.
Also i'll reply to your PM tomorrow, Jenna :)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby spacegirl » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:15 pm

hope all went well today captain xo
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby snail » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Yes, update please. . .
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Physical