Coming off the pill....

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Coming off the pill....

Postby RagDoll » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:18 am

Hi all,

I decided to come off the pill about 3 weeks ago. I had been on it for nearly 10 years and wanted to see how I would feel/how it went without it. I am now experiencing 'spotting' inbetween periods. I am sure this is the result of my body getting used to the adjustment, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced this and how long it took to settle down? Also, is there anything else I should be aware of? It feels very odd not taking that little pill everyday!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Coming off the pill....

Postby snail » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:57 am

Well,the obvious thing you should be aware of is that you now need to use another form of contraception :lol:

Apart from that, my periods took well over a year to settle down after I came off the Pill (I had been on it 17 years, though). I got very heavy and prolonged periods, rather than spotting, until it settled into a more normal cycle.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RagDoll » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:33 am

snail wrote:Well,the obvious thing you should be aware of is that you now need to use another form of contraception

Hehe, yes, we have got that one covered! :)

snail wrote:Apart from that, my periods took well over a year to settle down after I came off the Pill

Hmmm.. this is what worries me about it. I can see it being a bit of a nightmare, but nevermind, it was my choice. Did you find that your period pain was much worse when you came off the pill? I believe being on it is supposed to help alleviate the pain?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:15 pm

I can't comment but I believe it takes up to a year as snail said.

As for cramps; I was just thinking about this yesterday for some reason. Before I went on the pill I never had cramps (or so I thought), and since taking it; I have none/very little. Pre-Pill; for about 2 weeks in the middle of the month I used to get rubbish all the time; my appetite would go etc, and now I'm fine all the time :).
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:35 am

RagDoll wrote:Did you find that your period pain was much worse when you came off the pill? I believe being on it is supposed to help alleviate the pain?

It's hard to remember really - I began taking it when I was 17, and stopped when I was 34-35. But I don't think it made any difference to my period pain, because I didn't really suffer from this before I took it, either.

I actually discussed treatments for my heavy and prolonged periods after I came off it with my GP - I'd always heard that one's cycles settled down quite quickly, so assumed the flooding etc I was now getting was simply my real physiology re-asserting itself, and I would have to deal with the problem until menopause. But in fact, about 18 months after coming off the Pill, it had stopped, and my periods were of normal duration and heaviness. However, this may have been some natural change in my body, which would have happened anyway.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Physical