Ovarian cyst?

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Ovarian cyst?

Postby ennis81 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:54 am

Good to hear that your doctor has sent you for the tests, Hope everything goes ok for you x
ennis81
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Lust » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:46 am

Bit of an update. A few weeks ago I went and had blood tests done looking at about 7 different things. I had a bit of a bad experience as the nurse couldn't get my vein and then took ages taking my blood and I ended up fainting afterwards. After 10 days, I had not heard back so rang the doctors and they said most were fine bit a couple needed repeating and that I needed to go down and get a form for the hospital. I sent my mum down as I've been in London with college this week and she called me to say they said I don't need anymore doing. So I though fair enough, but why did they tell me I did when I actually didn't.

Anyway, today I was booked in for a smear test and oh my god I wasn't expecting it to be like this. I expected discomfort, but what I felt was excruciating pain right through me. So much so that I only had one swab taken when I was meant to have about 4. My doctor tried saying that it was because I didn't relax but I tried my hardest. She was like "it can't hurt that much" as I was nearly screaming but it did. I think I annoyed her but I seriously couldn't go on. She pressed down on my ovaries and womb while I had the speculum in and asked if it hurt, to which I cried out in pain.

Since then, I've been lying down in agony right through my tummy and I am still in a lot of pain from the speculum. Is this normal?
Lust
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:53 pm

This also happens to me. I could never work out why other women didn't dread having their smears done. I assumed I must just be a bit of a wuss, because it was always agonising, so much so that I could hardly bear it - every second felt like a year. When I said that to other women they said "Well, of course it hurts a bit but it's not that bad" so I always felt ashamed of being so bothered. Doctors/nurses always got annoyed with me for complaining, like you.

Anyway, finally I plucked up courage and asked a nurse who seemed more friendly, just before my smear, when she said "Do you have any questions?" and I said, "Yes - is it really normal for a smear to be excruciatingly painful?". Anyway, long story short - my cervix is in a funny position and it's extremely difficult to access with the speculum. Every person who performed a smear on me must have had a job doing it, but none of them ever said anything - they would have thought it was a one-off thing, and that they were having a bad day or whatever (sometimes the cervix is easy to see, sometimes it's harder, even on the same woman). It was only when I told that nurse that every smear I had ever had done took ages and caused me intense pain that it was looked into. Now it's on my medical records, so the person performing the smear knows it will be hard and that I am in pain. There are also various positions I can adopt that help, so the whole thing is much less traumatic.

This may have been a one-off thing, but make sure it gets recorded as a difficult smear. The other thing is, being tense will make it more painful, but there's not much you can do about that.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Physical