Painful scaffold piercing.

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby poker_allie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 am

I had a scaffold piercing (sometimes called industrial) done Sept/Oct 2010. The piercing itself was fine. My piercer didnt give me much in the way of aftercare instructions so decided to use Savlon (an antiseptic wound wash) which I used on my lobe piercings and the healed fine, to clean it once a day.

All was fine until about a month later when a painless lump appeared on the outer bit of the top hole. I read that this was most likely a keloid scar so went back to my piercer and he said it 'probabaly was' and to use either surgical spirits or saltwater. As I cant really get hold of surgical spirits easily, i used the salt soaks for a month or two and nothing happened. I gave up and I just kept using the Savlon and its pretty much gone now. Well, its so much better than it was.

However, in the past month theres also been a bit of Hypertrophic scarring forming on the inside of the top hole.
In the past two dats its become really really painful. I cant even touch the ear between the two piercings its that bad. I cant sleep on it or anything. It hurts more than when I had it done. Im not heading back to the place I had it done at as theyre pretty clueless (they refused to do my 2nd lobes with a needle, not a gun) and I cant find a decent piercer where Im living now. ](*,)

Any ideas/advice until I can find somewhere that doesnt look skanky to have a look at it?

Photos for reference ->
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/6969/dsc0558pj.jpg
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/1470/dsc0567v.jpg
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9270/dsc0568q.jpg

As you can see, its not overly red and the ear itself isnt swollen, just the scarring. i pushed the bar through a little to get a better photo and nearly screamed in pain :o
poker_allie
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Skarlet » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 am

I would suggest going to see another piercer. Yours doesn't sound like he knows very much. There are a couple schools of thought on industrial or scaffold piercings. Some piercers like you to wear normal bars until the piercings healed. Then swap to a bar. Others pierce With the bar straight away

Were you doing hot salt water soaks? Or just cold water soaks?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Painful scaffold piercing.

Postby poker_allie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:35 pm

Hot water soaks. But as I said they didnt do all that much.

Most of the piercers near me look really dodgy but I think it wont do me any harm to ask them. I cant get anywhere til the weekend.

Its a little better today- not as much pain. Yesterday, I seriously thought my ear was going to need to be amuputated if I left it until the weekend!
poker_allie
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby snail » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:08 am

To be honest, wouldn't it be better to see your GP? Pain usually means infection of some kind.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby poker_allie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:44 am

It hurts but all the other signs of infection (redness, swelling, pus etc) arent there :/

Im reluctant to see my GP as a)he's completely useless and b) if it is infected then their response would be to tell me to take it out. Which is the worse thing you can do really. Either way, im no better off.

I think Ill just keep on with the salt soaks until I can get to a better piercer. I satisfied today that my ear wont be falling off in the next few days :)
poker_allie
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Physical