Migraines

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Migraines

Postby highlandcow » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Does anyone else suffer with migraines? What sort of symptoms do you get?

I had one on Saturday. It felt like my head was going to explode, I threw up about 50 times, and it feels like someone is standing on my chest and belly.
The next day, when I've slept it off, I can actually hardly remember it. It seems like a big blank in my memory and everything seems all fuzzy, like a dream.
It feels like when you wake up from an operation and can't control what you're saying. I have been known to slur my words sometimes (not every time though, that was a particularly bad one)

I have been to the docs and they're keeping an eye on it. My brother has migraines too and cluster headaches, and my mum takes them too and so did her Dad.

It's horrible. Does anyone else get them?
Any magic cures?
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Migraines

Postby rufio89 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:37 am

I get them. I find the best thing to do is take some migraleve and go back to bed. If you cant go back to bed, just take the migraleve and go back to bed as soon as you can!

If you start getting them very frequently, ask your doctor about Imigran - they dont prescribe it freely because it's expensive. You can actually buy it over the counter but it's £15 per tablet.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:23 pm

I suffered for years, very regularly, until I discovered I had bruxism. I clench my teeth in my sleep, as I do not grind my dentist didn't pick it up. I have to wear a gum shield in bed now. I have two on rotation and usually wear through them in 6 months.
I would never have believed anyone who told me it was because of my teeth so definately worth checking out.

I too was sick, felt like someone was hammering my head in with an axe, sawing flashing lights even when in a dark room, felt completely disorientated and sick the next day and had headaches for 2 days after.

The tablets the doctors gave me made me depressed and gave me headaches and I just think they cover them up and son't get to the root cause.

Also worth checking you haven't got a neck injury/problem. You could go to an osteopath to get this checked (approx £35 for an appointment)

Head and face massage can be good if it is caused by muscle tension, another common cause.

Other causes can be chocolate, coffee, redbull style drinks. Basically too much of any stimulant can bring them on.

I feel for you and hope you get it sorted.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby highlandcow » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 pm

One of the things me and my brother have discussed about our migraines is that when you're suffering with one, you can feel very alone. Especially around those people who don't suffer it who just tell you to man up.

My problem is that I never get the flashing lights and visual stuff that signals the impending doom. All I get is a headache that gets worse and worse until it gets to a point of no return, so Migraleve has never worked for me as I've never been able to take them in time. And if I do take something then I tend to throw it up.

Please God, don't let them be caused by chocolate.....
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:43 pm

HLC, migraine is NOT caused by chocolate, ice cream or red wine, trust me! I am (not) medically trained... :o

I now have the perspective of a 93-year old; my migraines started in my early teens. I thought I was dying, and I spent most of the day in the school sick room.

Years later, I discovered Migraleve; it was like a miracle, and I still think they're brilliant. HLC, they WILL work for you, even if you don't take them a week before the attack! :D

But as I became ancient, I found that the nausea has almost vanished! I don't know if that's normal, I just hope you gals will experience that too. A couple of years ago I went to Uncle Tesco, and the pharmacist asked me questions about the symptoms - that's the first time for years I'd even thought about the sickness. Uncle Tesco said that if there isn't much sickness, co-codamol (main ingredient of Migraleve) will help the pain, at a quarter of the price.

Even this morning I had the flashing lights - but only one time in ten have they turned into a full-blown migraine. Looks as if we all have different attacks, and I HOPE that being an old boot has its compensations where migraine is concerned; but it's nice to know that we're actually NOT alone.

xxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Physical