Laparoscopy / hysteroscopy

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Laparoscopy / hysteroscopy

Postby rufio89 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Hello everyone,

Ive been having some weird cramping/pains over the last year or so and have been having tests over the last few months, so had various internal exams, smears etc, and most recently an ultrasound. So far none of them have shown anything up and so the doctor is referring me for a laparoscopy and a hysteroscopy. He's explained exactly what they both are and how they work, what they're looking for etc (and I've done my own research as well) but I wanted a first-person account of what I should expect in terms of pain afterwards etc, if anyone's had it done? It's all very well and good a male doctor telling you something is nothing and it shouldnt be painful, but he's never going to have anyone sticking cameras in his womb!!

So yeah, I was just wondering if anyone else had had this done and had any knowledge they could share with me so I know what to expect. I've never had an anaesthetic before and Im quite nervous about the whole thing.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Laparoscopy / hysteroscopy

Postby ILoveChristmas » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:31 pm

As you know I'm a man, so I can't tell you anything about your procedures but I've had anaesthetic many times for various different things, so I can tell you a bit about that aspect of it. I take it you are being given general anaesthetic, i.e. you're being knocked out?

Generally the process I've encountered is always much the same. You'll be taken to a preparation room where you'll have a cannula inserted into the back of your hand. A cannula is basically just a valve attached to a needle, but it stays in your hand for as long as necessary, allowing different drugs to be administered through the valve without each requiring its own injection.

After the cannula is fitted you're sometimes given an initial shot of a drug that helps you relax. It's not enough to knock you out but it makes you much less aware of what's going on around about you and generally makes you feel like you want to fall asleep.

Next comes the actual anaesthetic drug. When this is administered it can be a bit of a funny feeling. It's not bad, just weird. Any time I've had it I've experienced a strange 'buzzing' sensation in my head, my vision starts to go all blurry and then you're gone. The time from them administering the anaesthetic to you being unconscious is less than 10 seconds. The last time I had it done I had time to say "wow this is fast" and that was it, I was out for the count.

When you come around again it's more or less just like waking up after a sleep, only that woozy feeling where you could just drop back off to sleep lasts a bit longer. Generally when you come around you drift in and out again for a few minutes, you're not just suddenly wide awake again. Full and normal consciousness/awareness returns over the course of an hour or so.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:55 am

I had a both and can honestly say I wasn't in any pain after. Felt slightly bruised after. I do have a high pain threshold though.
I do have two tiny scars in my belly button where the laparoscopy camera went in.

Personally i think the after affect of the aneasthetics are the worse bit. You feel a bit grogy like a hangover. I have also been very sick after so now I always ask to them please make sure i get extra anti sickness drug given with the aneasthetic . This makes a massive difference to how I recover.

I can deal with pain but not nausea.

I hope it turns out to be something simple.

Keep us updated
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby rufio89 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks both for replying. Yeah it'll be general anesthetic.

Hopefully it'll all be simple and straightforward then. I'm pretty nervous.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Physical