Water causing diarrhea?

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Water causing diarrhea?

Postby SillyMistakes » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:58 am

So i've started working in a healthcare scenario, with both renal and colorectal consultants. After hearing the renal consultants talk about "The healthiest thing you can do for kidneys is just drink enough water everyday" and with my past borderline-alcoholism in mind where every now and then i'd wake up and think my kidneys were aching, i decided i needed to drink a lot more.

So i've started to have a jug of ice water at work, (or a jug of ice water during the day) and half or a third of a jug in the evenings, as I've always had one to split between housemates for dinner.

Thing is, after weeks now of doing this off and on, i can pretty much guarantee that its the water causing my occasional diarrhea, i only get the diarrhea on the evenings of the days i drank the water. I've googled this extensively and not found any connection, i did think initially it might be the water at work, which is very heavy, mineral-y stuff, but i think its happened on two or three occasions when the first jugs been at home also. Because of the complete lack of connection i dont want to bother the colo consultants (they have actual patients to deal with) but i definitely dont wanna go to a GP who could either say "Its not the water, we need to do all these tests" or "It is the water, OBVIOUSLY stop drinking it." which is... well i dont think its likely cos i dont think the amount im drinking is excessive
SillyMistakes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Water causing diarrhea?

Postby peecee » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Just a quick word, I'm supposed to be on my way to somewhere else... :o

It doesn't sound as though you're drinking too much water, and well done for sorting your intake - I actually know someone who was dragged into hospital with dehydration, because he didn't even realise he was thirsty! Do you drink only ice water? That is more likely to irritate your bowel and your intestines than, say, room temperature water. Try swapping for a while, and see if that makes a difference.

If it happens with liquids at different temperatures, post again, and I'll catch up with you later - I'm sure other PPers will have some advice, too.

btw, welcome to PP! :D
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SillyMistakes » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:22 pm

So specifically the temperature?

Damn, didnt think of that to be honest. Problem is i dont really like the taste of any water that isnt ice cold, will probably have to find some juice without too much sugar to replace the ice water then.

Many thanks!
SillyMistakes
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby highlandcow » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi

I know you said you didn't want to visit your GP but if this doesn't clear up then it might be best to. This happens to my husband a lot as well, if he drinks water. I'm not sure where you live but maybe it's to do with the water quality in your area. Maybe invest in a filter and see if that helps.
Go to Glasgow at least once in your life and have a roll and square sliced sausage and a cup of tea. When you feel the tea coursing over your spice-singed tongue, you'll know what I mean when I say:
'It's good to be alive!'"

- Billy Connolly
highlandcow
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Physical