tonsillectomy! ahhh!

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter
stellar
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

tonsillectomy! ahhh!

Post by stellar » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I am scheduled to have a tonsillectomy, and I wondered if there are any other "grown ups" who have had a tonsillectomy and lived to tell the tale! I am quite scared of what is going to happen, how much pain i'll be in etc. I know I'm being a bit of a loser recently but I've (touch wood!) never really had surgery before, I had a mole removed and fillings but they're only minor things!

Thanks!

kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by kitten » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:22 pm

I had mine taken out when I was 17. It is quite uncomfortable to swallow afterwards but it is a small procedure and you should be fine.

They put you to sleep operation not long then you can go home the next day.

I however, spent a week in the hospital - but thats another story!!

stellar
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by stellar » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:30 pm

ok that's scary! was that related to your tonils kitten?

kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by kitten » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:02 pm

No bad hospital! I picked up an infection.

Really I hate medical things, I am pertified of needles. It really is a simple op. But like I said your thoart will be sore afterwards.

They make you eat cereal, toast etc which can be painful but it helps the healing process.

I had two weeks off college and was fine. The worst thing was the tiredness from the anesthic (can't spell)

The best thing is you never have tonsilistus again - I had it for two years solid before they did anything :(

stellar
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by stellar » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:11 pm

ah i see, that's pretty much the same as me - i've had tonisllitis pretty much since my first year of uni, i'm now in my third! just been reading horror stories on the internet!

thank you so much, i feel a lot better about it now!

CFG
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by CFG » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:46 pm

I think you're lucky to bet getting your tonsils out, to be honest! You probably don't agree, though... :wink:

I've had one serious bout of tonsil disease every year for the past three years, then I usually get 4 or 5 "little" ones throughout the rest of the year, where my tonsils swell up and I get a temperature, but only for a couple of days. My next big one is due in about... ooh, three months? But I've been told they won't take your tonsils out unless you get it a stupid amount of times.

My sister had her tonsils out when she was about 23, but she'd had it something like 15 times within an 18-month period. She loved it every minute of being in hospital, but then she's always been a hypochondriac!

I'm sure you'll be fine, I don't think it's a major operation and you probably won't even have to stay the night.

stellar
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by stellar » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:56 pm

that's pretty harsh! i think it depends on the PCT you're in, but they were very very very reluctant to do the op on me to start with until i had a massive bout of illness last year, i had tonsillitis, then glandular fever, then tonsillitis again! and even then they were still umming and ahhing about it! but yeah it's probably for the best!

thank you guys!

xxx

V23
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by V23 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:11 am

I had mine out at 19 and it was an overnight stay (although I got readmitted because of complications - think this is fairly rare though).
I suffered for years with mine so i do think it depends on the PCT. However, even though it was a pain at the time it was definately worth it

LICKLELEA
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Post by LICKLELEA » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:56 pm

I haven't had mine out, but when I was younger my best friend had his tonsils out and all he could eat was ice -cream and soup for the first few days! - that wouldn't bother me in the slightest!!

Just think that you won't get tonsilitis anymore and that it will all be worth it in the end!! - it's a simple operation, you'll be fine. Good Luck and stop reading the horror stories on the internet! - it will make things feel a lot worse!!

lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post by lilessexgal » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:55 pm

i dont know much about it but just thought i would say good luck and im sure you will be fine

x x x x
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

stellar
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by stellar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:55 pm

hi guys thought i'd just update: I'm now tonsil free but in a looooooooot of pain cos i've run out of the special fizzy painkillers, aaaargh! It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be though so thanks to all of you who commented!

A bit late but happy new year to everyone!

stellar :D

Bexical
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Post by Bexical » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:56 pm

Glad it went ok for you and i hope you get pain free soon happy new year